PDA

View Full Version : QB: Statements to invoices

Lefet
05-05-2011, 06:56 PM
In quickbooks, how do you turn a "statement" into an "invoice". Say for mowing, you make multiple stops during the month so you create a recurring statement. At the end of the month, how do you turn that statement into an invoice? The statement charges don't reflect the tax owed, makes it look like an overpayment.
Thanks

GreenerSide
05-05-2011, 09:58 PM
From what I know about QB is you can only make invoices into statements. Not the other way that you are trying to do.

Roger
05-05-2011, 11:02 PM
I never use QB Statements, unless I need to provide a detailed transaction list for the season. A statement will reflect all Invoices and Payments. This is useful to help somebody sort out a missing payment. I rarely need this -- perhaps one time per season.

For routine monthly billing, I use Invoices. I've described my procedure in many other LS threads, but will repeat it here for completeness. I think your question is about reoccurring visits over the course of month, with a billing sent at the end of the month. This is my standard way of working, and may be what you are asking about.

On the first visit of the month, I open an Invoice. I make the date of Invoice to be the last day of the month. The customer information is filled in my QB.

I have a layout of Date, Description, Item, Amount, Tax across the top of the table. The Date is the date of service. Description is copied in from a Memorized transaction, from the Item list. I create an Item for each customer. It is a sub-category of Grass Cutting. The Item is mowXXXXX, where XXXX is the customer name. When setting up the Item, the Amount is filled in, as well as "taxable."

The daily task then, open the Invoice at the beginning of the month, fill in the Date, move to Item and pick from the popup list. The Amount, Description and Tax will be filled in from the proper Item. This insures that the proper amount is always tagged with the customer. There is no chance to put in a wrong Amount.

I then Save the Invoice.

Next week, after visit #2, I open the Invoice for the specific customer. It reappears with one entry. I click Date, and enter the date, move to Item list, and pick out the appropriate mowXXXXX, just as for the first entry. Again, the Description, Amount, and Tax fields are filled in by QB. I do a Save on the revised Invoice.

Visits #3, #4, and #5 (for five week months) are done the same way.

When the last visit of the month is done, and the last entry is made, then I Print, or Send the invoice. It goes to the printer, or goes to the customer via e-mail (from the address provided for the customer).

After Print/Send, I to Edit dropdown menu, and find Mark as Pending. I click and Pending is watermarked across the Invoice. I click on Save. The Amount due for the customer will show as $0.00 for the Pending Invoice.

When the Payment arrives, I open the Invoice. I click on Edit drop down menu, and click on Mark as Final. The Pending status disappears. The I click on Receive Payment. The new window opens, and I fill in the Amount the customer paid (usually the full amount), the date, the check number. In the Memo, I add #YYYY, MMM ZZZZ, where YYYY is the Invoice number against which the Payment is applied, MMM is the month of the Invoice (e.g. Apr, May, Jun), and ZZZZ is the year. I do this because if a Statement is required, this information from the Memo field is part of the report. It is easy to tie the payment (check number) to the Invoice (invoice number).

This sounds much more complicated than it is reality. The basic idea is to open and Invoice, make entries each visit, and then print/send it out at the end of the month.

BTW, I used a customized Invoice, with a tear-off (bottom third is torn off, returned with payment). the customer sees Date, Description and Amount. They do not see the Item or Tax column.

Does this help? Ask if you have questions.

Lefet
05-06-2011, 09:10 AM
From what I know about QB is you can only make invoices into statements. Not the other way that you are trying to do.

Thanks, I was kind of figuring that since I've tried every which way but Sunday and still can't figure it out.

Lefet
05-06-2011, 09:13 AM
I never use QB Statements, unless I need to provide a detailed transaction list for the season. A statement will reflect all Invoices and Payments. This is useful to help somebody sort out a missing payment. I rarely need this -- perhaps one time per season.

For routine monthly billing, I use Invoices. I've described my procedure in many other LS threads, but will repeat it here for completeness. I think your question is about reoccurring visits over the course of month, with a billing sent at the end of the month. This is my standard way of working, and may be what you are asking about.

On the first visit of the month, I open an Invoice. I make the date of Invoice to be the last day of the month. The customer information is filled in my QB.

I have a layout of Date, Description, Item, Amount, Tax across the top of the table. The Date is the date of service. Description is copied in from a Memorized transaction, from the Item list. I create an Item for each customer. It is a sub-category of Grass Cutting. The Item is mowXXXXX, where XXXX is the customer name. When setting up the Item, the Amount is filled in, as well as "taxable."

The daily task then, open the Invoice at the beginning of the month, fill in the Date, move to Item and pick from the popup list. The Amount, Description and Tax will be filled in from the proper Item. This insures that the proper amount is always tagged with the customer. There is no chance to put in a wrong Amount.

I then Save the Invoice.

Next week, after visit #2, I open the Invoice for the specific customer. It reappears with one entry. I click Date, and enter the date, move to Item list, and pick out the appropriate mowXXXXX, just as for the first entry. Again, the Description, Amount, and Tax fields are filled in by QB. I do a Save on the revised Invoice.

When the last visit of the month is done, and the last entry is made, then I Print, or Send the invoice. It goes to the printer, or goes to the customer via e-mail (from the address provided for the customer).

After Print/Send, I to Edit dropdown menu, and find Mark as Pending. I click and Pending is watermarked across the Invoice. I click on Save. The Amount due for the customer will show as $0.00 for the Pending Invoice.

When the Payment arrives, I open the Invoice. I click on Edit drop down menu, and click on Mark as Final. The Pending status disappears. The I click on Receive Payment. The new window opens, and I fill in the Amount the customer paid (usually the full amount), the date, the check number. In the Memo, I add #YYYY, MMM ZZZZ, where YYYY is the Invoice number against which the Payment is applied, MMM is the month of the Invoice (e.g. Apr, May, Jun), and ZZZZ is the year. I do this because if a Statement is required, this information from the Memo field is part of the report. It is easy to tie the payment (check number) to the Invoice (invoice number).

This sounds much more complicated than it is reality. The basic idea is to open and Invoice, make entries each visit, and then print/send it out at the end of the month.

BTW, I used a customized Invoice, with a tear-off (bottom third is torn off, returned with payment). the customer sees Date, Description and Amount. They do not see the Item or Tax column.

Thank you Roger for your very detailed explanation. Although I did do a search prior to asking my question, I failed to find your answer. Either way, I appreciate you taking the time to repost it in such detail. When I get home today, I'm going to print the statement, then create an invoice as you suggest, add the information and if everything works out, proceed to deleting the statement.
I will let you know how I fair.
Again, much appreciation for the reply.

Darryl G
05-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Yeah, you should be creating an invoice, not a statement to start with. What I try to do is enter my invoice info every week. It always seems to take longer if I wait until the end of the month. Besides, I don't want to wait until the end of the month to know how much revenue I've generated.

I create a "pending" invoice for each customer and then just keep adding to it for each service date as the month goes on. In the reports function I pull up a report of pending invoices and sort them alphabetically by customer last name so I can find them easily. At the end of the month I review and finialize them all and send them out. The only time I send statements is when the previous invoice hasn't been paid or the customer is confused about what they paid and what they owe.

Lefet
05-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, you should be creating an invoice, not a statement to start with. What I try to do is enter my invoice info every week. It always seems to take longer if I wait until the end of the month. Besides, I don't want to wait until the end of the month to know how much revenue I've generated.

I create a "pending" invoice for each customer and then just keep adding to it for each service date as the month goes on. In the reports function I pull up a report of pending invoices and sort them alphabetically by customer last name so I can find them easily. At the end of the month I review and finialize them all and send them out. The only time I send statements is when the previous invoice hasn't been paid or the customer is confused about what they paid and what they owe.

Thanks Darryl. Just got home and printed the statement. Going to go back and print everybody's statement, create invoices off of them and then delete the statements. It was QB that told me (in one of their tutorials) to do the statement for recurring monthly charges. Little did I know it was going to mount to this. Either way, it's the first month so I can get it straightened out. A little time consuming but experience is the best teacher. Thanks for the help.

Darryl G
05-06-2011, 09:18 PM
No problem. Once you get things set up, QB is nice. What trips me up is having to do all the detailed expense entry. I always know how much I've invoiced and how much I've been paid, but until I enter all the checks I've written and my credit card charges I don't know if I've actually made money. Finding time for that is tricky sometimes.

Lefet
05-09-2011, 09:45 PM

I then Save the Invoice.

How do you keep the date for the invoice? I have to manually go in and change the template for each and every invoice. There should be some way to save a template of what you're working with correct?

Darryl G
05-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I know this is directed to Roger but you shouldn't have to change the template. I make the date on my invoice the first of the month following the month that I'm billing for. I just click on the date and change it to what I want. On my invoices I have colums for the service provided, the quantity, a description of the service, the service date and the amount. The subtotal, sales tax and total due are shown at the bottom. What I enter my info on and what the customer sees are actually different. My rate shows up on my entry form but not on their invoice. The customer only see the total. At first I used the Intuit Service Invoice template that comes with QB but have since modified it quite a bit.

What I do is create my invoice and then save it as pending. If you save it as a regular invoice it will show as accounts receivable, which I don't want since I haven't sent it out yet. I then pull it up and add to it as the month goes on. I can easily find them all by pulling up a report of my pending sales. I then sort them by my customer's last names. When I'm all done entering all my charges for the month I go thru them 1 by 1 aphebetically and check them, finalize them and print and/or e-mail them.

It's pretty hard to explain this kind of stuff here. If someone could just sit down with you for a few minutes it would all make sense quickly. I suggest that you ask around your local network of friends and see if any of them are proficient in QB and willing to sit down with you for a bit. Setting it all up right to begin with is important. Editing everything after you screw it all up is time consuming (yes I know from experience, lol).

Lefet
05-09-2011, 10:54 PM
I know this is directed to Roger but you shouldn't have to change the template. I make the date on my invoice the first of the month following the month that I'm billing for. I just click on the date and change it to what I want. On my invoices I have colums for the service provided, the quantity, a description of the service, the service date and the amount. The subtotal, sales tax and total due are shown at the bottom. What I enter my info on and what the customer sees are actually different. My rate shows up on my entry form but not on their invoice. The customer only see the total. At first I used the Intuit Service Invoice template that comes with QB but have since modified it quite a bit.

What I do is create my invoice and then save it as pending. If you save it as a regular invoice it will show as accounts receivable, which I don't want since I haven't sent it out yet. I then pull it up and add to it as the month goes on. I can easily find them all by pulling up a report of my pending sales. I then sort them by my customer's last names. When I'm all done entering all my charges for the month I go thru them 1 by 1 aphebetically and check them, finalize them and print and/or e-mail them.

It's pretty hard to explain this kind of stuff here. If someone could just sit down with you for a few minutes it would all make sense quickly. I suggest that you ask around your local network of friends and see if any of them are proficient in QB and willing to sit down with you for a bit. Setting it all up right to begin with is important. Editing everything after you screw it all up is time consuming (yes I know from experience, lol).

Thanks Darryl, it was actually directed to whomever could answer it so I appreciate your input. My invoices have to have the service date manually put in such as in a template to begin with. Although, after reading your post, it could have something to do with the version I'm using. I was given it by my accountant, I think it's 08 or 09. Probably quite a bit has changed. I'm not even sure I can create a "pending" invoice. It either is or isn't. The accountant gave it to me because I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money on QB Pro. Although I did want to gain more insight as to where the money goes, ie expenditure reports. I like it, and I'm sure I've just tapped the surface but I'm still using two programs. (Major annoyance). One thing I DON'T like is the cheesy looking invoices, very bland. And since our logo is oblong not square, it doesn't fit right. It also doesn't do scheduling.

And as far as the explanation you did a fine enough job for me to follow along so thanks a heap! I'm going to go looking for that pending invoice thingy.

Lefet
05-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Just tried it, "You can not record a blank transaction. Fill in the appropriate fields and try again".
Tried it with a new customer I picked up today. Haven't serviced the property yet.

Darryl G
05-09-2011, 11:05 PM
I was using WB 2003 until last year. But yeah, I have QB pro. Not sure how things are on your version. You can go into the template designer though (at least I can on my version) and add and subtract colums. Maybe all you have to do is modify the template to add a column for the service date. Give the template a new name though if you change it so it doesn't overwrite the stock one.

Keep in mind that the right mouse key is context sensitive so that if you're in an invoice and right click on a spot near the top of it, things you can do to it should come up in a menu (such as mark invoice pending). I use the right mouse key all the time in QB, it's a nice shortcut, but it depends where you mouse is pointing at the time.

Darryl G
05-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Just tried it, "You can not record a blank transaction. Fill in the appropriate fields and try again".
Tried it with a new customer I picked up today. Haven't serviced the property yet.

Sounds like you needed to fill in the customer info first. I have all my customers entered so I just pick them from the list. Listen....Hop in your car and take I-95 north to Connecticut exit 65 and I'll go over it all with you...I'll leave the light on, lol.

Lefet
05-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Sounds like you needed to fill in the customer info first. I have all my customers entered so I just pick them from the list. Listen....Hop in your car and take I-95 north to Connecticut exit 65 and I'll go over it all with you...I'll leave the light on, lol.

Too funny.... I know a few BBQ joints we could hit while I'm there!!

The customer info is in there, but the property hasn't been serviced yet so there's no service to put in with a price.

I-95 is right around the corner from me, soon as gas goes down I'll be there!! Get an extra bulb!

Lefet
05-09-2011, 11:18 PM
How do you do your scheduling?

Darryl G
05-09-2011, 11:43 PM
How do you do your scheduling?

Whoever complains the loudest gets serviced!

But seriously, I use a Day Planner. There's only one that I've found that I like though. And Staples didn't have it this year so I had to order it online. Basically I keep tract of both what I do and what I plan to do in it. For each day there's both a "to do" and a "done" side. And each week takes up the left and right side, so I can look at my whole week at the same time.

Lets say I serviced 8 weekly lawns today. So I flip to next week on Monday and write them in the to do side. I check them off as they're done. If they have to be skipped for some reason, I put a prominent double lined arrow in the margin next to them to know to carry them forward. I actually went to a class for this stuff in my former career, lol...time managment etc. Cleanups I do a little different...I just keep a list and check them off as they're done. When it starts getting messy and confusing I start a new one with those remaining. For other work I keep a list of Misc. Jobs in my day planner. If I don't I tend to forget about them...in fact I have 3 or 4 to write in...now what were they??? lol

Darryl G
05-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Here's the one I use. http://www.theofficedealer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Office-Supplies-USA&Product_Code=AAG70EP0105&tem=bil

To do goes on the left and what I do is recorded on the right (my whole day with start and end times to the minute for each job).

Roger
05-10-2011, 09:00 AM
How do you keep the date for the invoice? I have to manually go in and change the template for each and every invoice. There should be some way to save a template of what you're working with correct?

In "Preference" there is an option to "keep the date the same" or similar. I have this option activated. This means if I open an invoice, and make the date 5/31/2011, when the next invoice is opened, the date will be 5/31/2011, not today's date. Keeping the date requires the change in Preferences. I think it is in General.

I hope I have understood your question properly.

Promise-Land
05-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Each visit becomes an invoice with the date of service being the date of the invoice. A statement at the end of the billing cycle gets printed and sent. The statement will list the open invoices (unpaid) and a breakdown of charges within each invoice.

zturncutter
05-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Another way to handle this is to use the statement charge feature on the Quickbooks home page. Enter the charges directly to the statement and send it at the end of your billing cycle. That way you don't have to generate an invoice.

WheatBookkeeping
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Statements are generally used to record activity for a particular account and are not formatted as a request for payment. Statements can display information from multiple invoices or a single invoice or a partial invoice. Statements are generally designed to represent a customers account activity.

Invoices are generally used as a request for payment and display the amounts owed. They also show applied tax and earned discounts.

zturncutter
05-12-2011, 09:17 PM
"Statements are generally used to record activity for a particular account and are not formatted as a request for payment"

Have to disagree, for 6 or 7 years Statements are all I used to bill my contract maintenance customers until I started doing more landscape installs and started generating invoices for everything. The statement reads amount due and when sending an E-mail the cover note asks for payment, none of my customers had any problems understanding they were being billed and on the billing end of it using statement charges saves a step and the customer knows their total balance due each month.

Roger
05-12-2011, 10:12 PM
zturn ... do you collect Sales Tax on any of your services, or products?

zturncutter
05-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes, but not on maintenance services.

Lefet
05-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Each visit becomes an invoice with the date of service being the date of the invoice. A statement at the end of the billing cycle gets printed and sent. The statement will list the open invoices (unpaid) and a breakdown of charges within each invoice.

It was my understanding that it should be the other way around. This way, when you need to find a particular job related to an invoice you have more to search through correct?

Lefet
05-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Another way to handle this is to use the statement charge feature on the Quickbooks home page. Enter the charges directly to the statement and send it at the end of your billing cycle. That way you don't have to generate an invoice.

Statements do not include sales tax

Statements are generally used to record activity for a particular account and are not formatted as a request for payment. Statements can display information from multiple invoices or a single invoice or a partial invoice. Statements are generally designed to represent a customers account activity.

Invoices are generally used as a request for payment and display the amounts owed. They also show applied tax and earned discounts.

This is what I've come to find out.

"Statements are generally used to record activity for a particular account and are not formatted as a request for payment"

Have to disagree, for 6 or 7 years Statements are all I used to bill my contract maintenance customers until I started doing more landscape installs and started generating invoices for everything. The statement reads amount due and when sending an E-mail the cover note asks for payment, none of my customers had any problems understanding they were being billed and on the billing end of it using statement charges saves a step and the customer knows their total balance due each month.

I think this may work for you because you don't collect tax on mowing? Here in NJ we collect tax on everything and the statements did not reflect the tax. Why did you switch to invoices for installs?

Lefet
05-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Yes, but not on maintenance services.

Duh, okay I didn't see that one! :hammerhead: