PDA

View Full Version : Getting Mohawks from my Exmark lazer z

RSMProperty
05-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Started getting Mohawks while using my 48" lazer z...only thing I can think of was dull blades so I changed from hi lift to hi lift mulching and didn't change... It's killing my productivity as I'm having to mow lawns twice with it...which customers like but as stated kills my valuable time.

Was told a few times to up the blade rpms on the mower by altering the carb throttle stop or linkage to carb to allow for rpms...I don't feel this is the correct way of fixing my issue.

I need help...any ideas please help
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
05-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I dont have a Lazer, only a TTHP, and I will get the "mowhawks" when the grass is think like in the spring/early fall or sometimes on turns. Otherwise it cuts fine. Totally guessing here....using the right length blades? Is it always the same side?

RSMProperty
05-05-2011, 09:46 PM
It seems to me it would be on the left side between the 1-2 blade, seems like it does it on longer grass more, but it never happened last year, I have 3 sets of blades and they are all 16 1/4 length 5/8" hole as recommended by Exmark
Def noticible with the dandelions too, it will leave a few still standing which is very noticeable
Posted via Mobile Device

nobagger
05-05-2011, 09:54 PM
It seems to me it would be on the left side between the 1-2 blade, seems like it does it on longer grass more, but it never happened last year, I have 3 sets of blades and they are all 16 1/4 length 5/8" hole as recommended by Exmark
Def noticible with the dandelions too, it will leave a few still standing which is very noticeable
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you hit something and weak the deck? Possibly another bad blade? I would check everything from tire pressure to spindles. Sounds like dull blades.

RSMProperty
05-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Tire pressure is good I haven't hit anything with the mower and I've changed blade sets twice less than 20 hours on each set same result
Only real difference is switched from old Re sharpened hi lift blades to new hi lift gator mulchers
I know if I slow down a ton it doesn't do it but adding 20 minutes to each lawn adds 3 hours to a day

Is it really just the higher thicker spring grass causing my troubles versus the shorter fall grasses?
Posted via Mobile Device

Runner
05-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Check out this thread from back in the day...I think you will find it beneficial. Post #28 is where it all comes together. I've given this advice ever since...You have to use solid foil blades - without the notch in them. They should be medium lift through this thick wet grass, too. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=4749&highlight=streaks

RSMProperty
05-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Ok going tomorrow to get solid foil hi lift blades by Exmark....let ya know how it goes Sunday Monday when I put 24 hours on them
Posted via Mobile Device

tacoma200
05-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I've never had any trouble with Exmark Ultra Cuts missing grass with notched high lifts. Could you have play in a spindle? grass build up? belt slipping? How high are you cutting? Mine will miss grass with gator type blades because of the decreased lift. Have you hit anything that would make the spindles out of line?

RSMProperty
05-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Everything is tight I am ordering new blade belt and new blades, never hit anything...I mow at 3.25-3.5 depending on area and as low as 3
I will let ya know come Monday when I switch blades and as soon as I get belt changed as well
The more I think it's been since I changed to the gator blades
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
05-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Sounds like a triton deck problem. Do you have a triton deck or ultra cut. Are you discharging or have a mulch kit installed? I have a ton of experience with exmark so maybe I can help if I had a little more info.
Posted via Mobile Device

RSMProperty
05-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Ultra cut and discharging
Posted via Mobile Device

dutchacres
05-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Boy I would have the spindles checked out. This is why I switched from exmark to deere because the spindles were sealed bearings and maintenance free. How many hours do you have on it? I had to start changing spindles it seemed around 500 hours. I'm a firm believer in preventive maintenance and I still believe that if someone can grease something it will last longer than the maintenance free stuff they have out now. Jack it up and see if the blades move side to side or up and down at all. If so your spindles are toast and that is your problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

RSMProperty
05-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Everything is super tight, no movement at all...mower is a 2002 with just over 750 hours on it gets serviced at end of every season and a thorough checking mid season as well
I think it's blades, but I've been wanting a new blade since end of season last year so going to do that as well even though it's only got about 100 hours on the belt
Gonna try for new belt and blades by Saturday evening for my start of the week Sunday and monday
Posted via Mobile Device

tacoma200
05-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Just a note, I know we have many on this site that swear by gator/mulching but on the Ultra Cuts I've had I could see an immediate loss of the crispness of cut when going to these type blades (I even tried high lift gators). This is just me, in my type of grass, and I know others may have different results. Factory notched high lifts give me the crispest cut of any I have tried on an Ultra Cut.

Runner
05-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah, the issue I was referring to was the streak that appears toward the center of the path, looking like a faded 3rd wheel mark that is off center just a bit.

RSMProperty
05-06-2011, 12:19 AM
That's what I'm referring to as well, it's not quite center of path more offset to the left
I'm trying blades and belt saturday
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
05-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Your deck isn't plugged with grass is it? I find that Gators tend to make a mushy mess and clog my deck when I'm cutting tall juicy spring grass.

knox gsl
05-06-2011, 12:44 AM
I think Runner is on it and you should look at a solid foil blade, it worked for me last year.

M & MD Lawn
05-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Could it be the blades are not balanced correctly?

Runner
05-06-2011, 01:08 AM
No, even balanced blades will do this. It is the forward sweep of the center blade pushing the grass over.

nobagger
05-06-2011, 03:59 AM
IDK, Its been a while since I used a larger Exmark. But if your trying to cut 8" of wet thick grass down to 3", thats might be the problem right there. Today was the first real day for mowing for us and we were cutting down serious cabbage at a few places, had to double cut most places. But the Gravely's cut right through it but our decks are set at 4" right now. No mowhawks or trails of any kind just a lot of soupy green mush. If I remember right, we used to have an Exmark Viking and it would leave a row of uncut grass when it was thick and tall.

JDiepstra
05-06-2011, 04:07 AM
Your deck isn't plugged with grass is it? I find that Gators tend to make a mushy mess and clog my deck when I'm cutting tall juicy spring grass.

Bam! This is what I think. You have buildup under your deck. Clean that thing out.

RSMProperty
05-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Well I'm embarrassed to admit that the mower deck, even with only 25 hours since last cleaning was the worst I had EVER seen it, took me a while to get it all cleaned out so I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow see if I get the Mohawk if not I'll be cleaning each night to keep from going through this, any tips on keeping deck clean abd clear of buildup
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
05-07-2011, 02:22 AM
Well I'm embarrassed to admit that the mower deck, even with only 25 hours since last cleaning was the worst I had EVER seen it, took me a while to get it all cleaned out so I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow see if I get the Mohawk if not I'll be cleaning each night to keep from going through this, any tips on keeping deck clean abd clear of buildup
Posted via Mobile Device

Whenever I see this it's due to grass buildup. Scrape it and never use gator blades. I use the mulching wavy blades on mine and it does a great job, the high lifts work too they just don't cut the clippings as small.

Darryl G
05-07-2011, 08:27 AM
I scrape my mower decks every evening before putting the mowers away...well I at least check them...sometimes they don't need it. Sometimes they get done between mows or even during mows if the grass is tall and wet and it starts spitting clumps. This time of year its been a daily thing. I find that when I'm running the Ultravac on my Lazer it rarely needs scraping.

Some people spray the underside of their decks with products to reduce buildup. I never have.

JoeKuhl
05-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I was wondering about the same mohawk problem, except I have a bush hog ztr. We use High lift gator blades. They are razor sharp and the deck is completly free of grass buildup. The blades are balanced, and we are cutting the grass at a good height. Not taking to much off. The part that really confuses me is I expect it not to cut so good in southern Il typical yard of weeds, but this yard I'm referring to is 100% grass, and very well maintained. I hit a hidden stump (different yard) earlier in the year with it and busted off a blade, but I would think that if that were the problem the deck would vibrate or shake or something, but she runs nice and smooth. The spindles are greased very regular as well. All the info I can think of. Any suggestions?

tacoma200
05-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Depending on the grass conditions I have seen times when I needed to scrape the Exmark after every lawn or two. Ultra Cuts need to be watched closely, especially in the lush Spring grass, clover, crabgrass or any other type condition that will cause grass to clump or stick together. I have literally filled up a 5 gallon bucket of build up. This is especially true when the paint wears off the bottom. Ultra Cuts may require a little more scraping but leave a great cut when everything is right. (I only scrape my Turf Tigers a fraction as much).

hackitdown
05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I get mohawks with my 52" UltraCut with Gator blades in the spring. So I use the Gators only for fall and early spring cleanups, then switch back to high-lifts for spring growth.

RSMProperty
05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Mowed for 4 hours today in some nice thick grass...deck already needs cleaned, I kept the gator blades on and slowed down no Mohawks, but I'm switching blades tomorrow to see about speed
Posted via Mobile Device

RSMProperty
05-08-2011, 01:30 AM
I need to find less costly blades, got Exmark high lift notched this morning 16$/pc
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
05-08-2011, 10:19 AM
as stated when you get mowhawks, you need to clean the deck. as for the blades, try www.mowmore.com you should find them alot cheaper. I only have 12 accounts and still have to clean the deck every week, sometimes after certain lawns, depends if it had morning dew or it was raining out. but there's no easy way around, just gotta keep the deck clean.

Think Green
05-08-2011, 10:39 AM
I know this is an older thread but I own two Exmark 48" Triton's. We cut Bermuda and Zoysia very little fescues. But often when the lawns are weedy and have taller stems such as the tall fescue variety, it will require us to double cut. Wet tall grass will cause my mulch kits to sing as if you have a stopped up nose in the choir. These decks are not stamped and have corners. The mulch baffles will hold grass clippings and will cause your so called mohawk appearance. If the blades can't cut the grass fast enough during the RPM cycle, then this tells me to slow down. Too fast on those hydro's to get stuff done.
Cleaning out the decks is a weekly, sometimes daily job. Heck even between some jobs it has to be done.

RSMProperty
05-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Yeah cleaned it put this morning after only 4 hours of mowing
Posted via Mobile Device

Groomer
05-08-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll chime in briefly, 3 things-sharp blades,clean deck, ground speed. Oh wait, good blade belt(s), correct tire pressure, peak RPM's from a tight engine.