PDA

View Full Version : Wet grass help

Diddy
05-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi what is the best way to handle cutting wet grass. It seems like around where i live all the professionals start when the grass is still really wet, do they do anything special to their mowers. I use a 3 speed lawnboy or a 21in hi vac snapper. any suggestionsor advice? Thanks

THEGOLDPRO
05-05-2011, 11:41 PM
The professionals don't use lawnboys or snappers that's the difference.

Diddy
05-05-2011, 11:41 PM

thanks you. what should i use

1MajorTom
05-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I've been in business for 13 years, Gravely, eXmark, and my lawnboys are my mowers. 3 brand new lawnboy 6.5 duraforce still in their boxes, and 10 other running 6.5 duraforce lawnboys. They never fail me. I start out my day with my small yards if they are on my route for the day, and I use my lawnboy. Even on dew saturated yards I don't have any real issues, except for the occasional hulk hand from reaching in the shoot to scrap the clippings out. Maybe if you are cutting too low you may have an issue? So I'm not a "professional" huh? :hammerhead:

Matt

Midwest_cutter
05-06-2011, 12:03 AM
I as well start out with my lawn boy push mower. It does a swell job in dewy grass. Just keep the blades sharp and the decks clean.
Posted via Mobile Device

Diddy
05-06-2011, 12:19 AM
I've been in business for 13 years, Gravely, eXmark, and my lawnboys are my mowers. 3 brand new lawnboy 6.5 duraforce still in their boxes, and 10 other running 6.5 duraforce lawnboys. They never fail me. I start out my day with my small yards if they are on my route for the day, and I use my lawnboy. Even on dew saturated yards I don't have any real issues, except for the occasional hulk hand from reaching in the shoot to scrap the clippings out. Maybe if you are cutting too low you may have an issue? So I'm not a "professional" huh? :hammerhead:

Matt

oh no your definately a professional dont worry. maybe i am cutting it to low. do you use any kind of spray to prevent sticking of grass to the deck?

Diddy
05-06-2011, 12:20 AM
I as well start out with my lawn boy push mower. It does a swell job in dewy grass. Just keep the blades sharp and the decks clean.
Posted via Mobile Device

do you clean the deck after evey lawn?

Merkava_4
05-06-2011, 12:23 AM

Man you're sure wrong about that. Mr. Willoughby has been using his Snapper Hi-Vac
professionally for more than 30 years. You should see how rich the guy is.

Darryl G
05-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Yes, cut a bit higher if it's wet. If you start spitting lots of clumps stop, but keep in mind the mower will probably drop clumps when you do. Clean the deck somewhere it's ok to make a mess. I had to go over a couple of lawns today with my blower to break up clumps because the grass was long and damp.

flatlander42
05-06-2011, 12:55 AM
I'm not afraid to bust out the push mowers in the dew. But I don't do much when it is very wet.

THEGOLDPRO
05-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't have any lawns small enough to use a push mower, even if i did i woulden't wanna use one, I own a Honda push mower and use it for maybe 10 minutes a week at one account that has a fenced in pool with alittle grass in there.

Darryl G
05-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Push mower? I was bumming out today because I lost a pin on my sulky and had to actually walk behind my walk behind. Other than hopping off now and then on slopes I can't remember the last time I did that. It was kind of funny because I kept wanting to hop on but there was nothing to hop onto, lol. I walk pretty fast but it still slowed me down a good bit. I ended up using the Z on a couple of lawns that I'd usually use the WB on.

Since I've gotten kind of off topic, let me add that when it's wet I use the walk behind almost exclusively, largerly because it's so much easier to clean the deck, but also to tread more lightly on the turf. It's a 48 inch Turf Tracer.

PL&L
05-11-2011, 07:06 PM
exmark does a fantastic job with wet grass, get a mulching kit installed though def worth the money (like $400 extra)

LawnGuy73
05-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Agreed....