PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Earth

TomG
05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
What we are doing is taking down the mound to level out the back yard (hard to see in the first picture) and to do this we have to demo the sides of the old pool down about 2.5' Who ever originally demoed the pool did a horrible job, the old cement walls were only 2" below the grass, and they didn't punch holes in the bottom of the pool, thus creating the "liquid earth".

What this is, is someone filled in an old in ground swimming pool with clay and didn't punch a hole in the bottom to let any surface or rain water escape, so over time the clay became extremely saturated. When I drove the mini excavator over it the clay began to "pump" or liquify and this is what happened. I have seen soil liquefaction before but never to this extreme.

This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen on a job. The dirt was literally moving in waves as you can see!

Also you got to love the commentary from my employee who was filming.:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zGsujlR4fY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6W2aP2dkA

kreft
05-05-2011, 10:49 PM
where the pics of the new dump?

TomG
05-05-2011, 10:54 PM
where the pics of the new dump?

I totally forgot to update that thread with pictures, :hammerhead: I'll get some up tomorrow.

knox gsl
05-05-2011, 10:55 PM
How far before hitting water?

minimax
05-06-2011, 12:01 AM
The mini-x is saying please grease me!!!! in the video,

minimax

Dirtman2007
05-06-2011, 06:27 PM
I built a pond dam one time that was like that. it was fun driving the dozer over it as it rippled like waves. over a few months it dried out and was solid as a rock. its fun none the less. Gotta love the people who dont knock holes in the bottom:hammerhead:

TomG
05-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I built a pond dam one time that was like that. it was fun driving the dozer over it as it rippled like waves. over a few months it dried out and was solid as a rock. its fun none the less. Gotta love the people who dont knock holes in the bottom:hammerhead:

haha yea its funny how some people don't think about making a hole in the bottom... Its a pool it holds water!! I guess this pool was filled in about 10 years ago so you can imagine how much water is in it. The home owner is now considering taking a lot more of the clay out and putting a lot of holes in the bottom.

Dirtman2007
05-06-2011, 10:11 PM
haha yea its funny how some people don't think about making a hole in the bottom... Its a pool it holds water!! I guess this pool was filled in about 10 years ago so you can imagine how much water is in it. The home owner is now considering taking a lot more of the clay out and putting a lot of holes in the bottom.

what size holes are you putting in? like 1" holes wont do a darn thing you gotta dig the bottom up like I did in the pictures I posted a month or so back if you dont want to have problems like that

TomG
05-06-2011, 10:19 PM
what size holes are you putting in? like 1" holes wont do a darn thing you gotta dig the bottom up like I did in the pictures I posted a month or so back if you dont want to have problems like that

The original plan was to put a 3'x3' hole in the deep end. But now the homeowner is still concerned because there is now standing water on top of the clay, so he is contemplating excavating all the clay out and ripping up the bottom like you suggested. Its just going to come down to how much $$$ he wants to spend.

Dodge2
05-06-2011, 10:28 PM
thats soo cool. I have a lawn that I mow and it will move just like that when I walk on it. I always wondered why it did that. must be an old pool under it.

Dirtman2007
05-06-2011, 10:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFPKDpIBWXc

jiggly jiggly

Bleed Green
05-07-2011, 06:56 PM
You would think the soil you're digging from the hole would be soupy mud that would be soaking wet, but it doesn't seem like its really that unusually wet.

Jim385
05-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Gotta love jiggly dirt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuTH16DWCew

Ironically the job I'm on now (not the one above), cuts through an old property that had a pool, which was back filled with topsoil.

TomG
05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
You would think the soil you're digging from the hole would be soupy mud that would be soaking wet, but it doesn't seem like its really that unusually wet.

Yea its very weird stuff because I could drive across it with the E50 and I would only sink about an inch.

Jelinek61
05-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Thats pretty sweet. Any of you guys ever walked across a peat bog? Its just like that, you can literally launch someone in the air if you jump next to them. Its a weird experience walking on it.