PDA

View Full Version : Trimming ornamental grass

South Florida Lawns
05-06-2011, 12:23 AM
I have a bunch of Sand Cord grass that is out of control with growth. Its hanging over parking spaces and too far onto sidewalks. I have no experience with trimming it. My one guy said you just hack it back, but I'm worried as I have seen grass die this way. Also if thats the way to do it can they be trimmed this time of year? Its very hot and dry. I have a feeling this stuff grows fast so maybe I will be trimming a lot throughout the season.

Florida Gardener
05-06-2011, 12:47 AM
South

You have to trim most ornamental grasses back periodically or they get thatchy and start to decline. In particular, purple fountain, fakahatchee,etc. I am sure you can cut back the cord grass as well to flush out new growth. I use hedge shears to cut grasses back.

South Florida Lawns
05-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Dianond you are the man.

Ric
05-07-2011, 09:14 AM
South

Diamond is correct and a pair of power hedge trimmer is sometimes the only answer. However combing Ornamental Grass with Pitch Fork on a regulator bases can keep it looking great.

RigglePLC
05-07-2011, 10:43 AM
I spent several hours cutting back ornamental grass at a large botanic garden yesterday. We used a trimmer with a saw blade designed for brush. Cut back to 6 inches tall. May I suggest you tie it up in a bundle and then cut with hedge shears or power equipment. Throw the bundles on a trailer to haul away. Tough going. Some ornamental grass are tough--they don't cut easily.

South Florida Lawns
05-07-2011, 11:47 PM
I decided against totally cutting back (at least right now) but rather trimming the sides up, the grass is just planted too close to the parking lot. Its gonna be a mess we have aprox. 250 to trim Monday.

bamaturf
05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
we do it like this . have i guy bend it over & the other guy with hedge trimmers
cut it off just at the thickest part low. that means if your trimmers wont go thru
raise your blades . next have a rope stretched out on the ground with a loop in 1 end. the guy that is bending the plant over take them in one bundle as they're
cut stack em on the rope. when you have a load take the rope and run it thru the loop to make a laso and haul it away. saves alot of cleanup time

mdlwn1
05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
South

Diamond is correct and a pair of power hedge trimmer is sometimes the only answer. However combing Ornamental Grass with Pitch Fork on a regulator bases can keep it looking great.

Almost hate when someone gives away the "secrets"

South Florida Lawns
06-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Almost hate when someone gives away the "secrets"

No biggie I found a trick from one of my guys, take your legs and pinch the grass, grab it with your hands twist, and the guy with the hedge trimmer chops it off.

OOPS did I say that? Guess so, oh well shoot me.

Also helps to have razor sharp trimmer to start with, the dull fast esp on saw grass.

Florida Gardener
09-17-2011, 02:05 AM
South

Ric good call on the pitchfork. Used one today on some grasses and it worked great.
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
09-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Ric good call on the pitchfork. Used one today on some grasses and it worked great.
Posted via Mobile Device

2 guys is the fastest method as one holds while one cuts almost eliminating any mess. Did 100 sand cord grasses monday super fast and simple.

Florida Gardener
09-28-2011, 07:21 AM
2 guys is the fastest method as one holds while one cuts almost eliminating any mess. Did 100 sand cord grasses monday super fast and simple.

For sure, this is the method i use as well, but the pitchfork is used after to get all the thatch and dead stuff out.
Posted via Mobile Device