PDA

View Full Version : I think I made a mistake...

C6H12O6
05-06-2011, 12:22 AM
I bought an Exmark 21" commercial X-Series mower. I needed a good push mower and I looked at mowers for a while. I could not find one mower that had all of the features I wanted in one package. So I decided to give the Exmark mower a try because it was pretty close, actually it is very close to what I wanted.

Anyway I like everything about the mower except the deck clogs up when mulching. It is definitely set up for bagging from the factory. By the shape of the deck underneath I thought it would be a good mulching mower.

I talked to the dealer about getting a mulching blade for it, or at least a blade that would allow it to mulch. But they basically said the blade was not available yet or something.

Its fine if they come out with a blade that unlocks the true potential of the machine. But right now I don't need a super high lift bagging blade that pulverizes the grass and plasters it to the top of the deck. I dunno maybe the deck design just plain wont work. You would think they would have solved this problem by now. I mean how many lawns did they have to mow before they realized the factory setup didn't work very well for mulching? I mowed 4 lawns and the grass needed to be cleaned out every time...sometimes twice. It doesnt feel very good to have just bought a 1000 dollar mower and have to clean the deck a bunch of times.

Anyway story over... Anyone have this mower and found a solution? Ive thought about a low lift blade and/or slowing the engine down a little until they come up with something.

For now I might just get one of those 390 dollar single speed Honda mowers and try that. :rolleyes: Cause right now I have an expensive bagging mower that my 14 year old Lawn boy does just fine.

Thanks

KINGMADE
05-06-2011, 12:27 AM
I am glad I bought my snapper. Not because it does a better job. I am sure my mowers plaster the deck with grass just as much and probably then some. But I am glad because I looked at those exmarks real hard and decided to save the money and get the 2010 model snapper at almost half the price of the exmark. My next mower will probably be a honda.

BINKY1902
05-06-2011, 12:35 AM
I was actually planning to pick up a 21" Exmark in the morning. I may ask for an extended demo after reading this. I will never use it for bagging, mulching only. I was also considering the 21" ariens pro.

grincon
05-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I just bought an X series today! I never mulch and it does bag pretty good though.

C6H12O6
05-06-2011, 12:42 AM
I looked at the snappers too and that is what I was going to get but I figured I will give Exmark a chance...might be the last chance they get.

I like how strong it is though, this thing is built to fall off of a truck. The drive on the snapper looked like a weak point to me. I didn't care cause I can fix things but two belts and a rubber wheel that constantly spins when the engine is running made me start to think how many hours it would run before I would have to buy a part. I liked the idea though.

Whatever... I wish I had gotten the snapper now. But really I might think about getting a well built throw away mower from now on.

C6H12O6
05-06-2011, 12:44 AM
I was actually planning to pick up a 21" Exmark in the morning. I may ask for an extended demo after reading this. I will never use it for bagging, mulching only. I was also considering the 21" ariens pro.

Yes definitely rethink it. I am glad I might have helped someone.

Good luck on your mower purchase dude!

KINGMADE
05-06-2011, 12:49 AM
I looked at the snappers too and that is what I was going to get but I figured I will give Exmark a chance...might be the last chance they get.

I like how strong it is though, this thing is built to fall off of a truck. The drive on the snapper looked like a weak point to me. I didn't care cause I can fix things but two belts and a rubber wheel that constantly spins when the engine is running made me start to think how many hours it would run before I would have to buy a part. I liked the idea though.

Whatever... I wish I had gotten the snapper now. But really I might think about getting a well built throw away mower from now on.

lol that snapper drive system is so simple it is stupid. The selling point for me was that to replace the wheels on it you would spend maybe 90 bucks in parts and a monkey could change them out. The only other things that could break are the springs, belt, and they are dirt cheap vs. the cost of trannies on the other mowers. I looked up the transmission for Honda HRC216 and it was like 275-325 range. I still want to run a honda though. One day.

georgiagrass
05-06-2011, 01:37 AM
We run HRC 216 mowers and I wouldn't use anything else. They are expensive and heavy, but they work and give a great cut.

topsites
05-06-2011, 06:10 AM
The only mistake that I see you're about fixing to make is
recommending changes to the manufacturer :cry:

delphied
05-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Does any mower mulch heavy spring grass well?

C6H12O6
05-06-2011, 07:58 AM
The only mistake that I see you're about fixing to make is
recommending changes to the manufacturer :cry:

20000 useless posts and counting....

Yes there are mowers that mulch spring grass well.

I don't want this to become a thread about any mower other than a 21 inch Exmark. If you have one, are you experiencing the same problems? And, is there anything you did that helped?

32vld
05-06-2011, 08:26 AM
“So I decided to give the Exmark mower a try because it was pretty close, actually it is very close to what I wanted. “

You wanted a mulcher and bought a non mulcher. Yes you bought what you wanted.

“Anyway I like everything about the mower except the deck clogs up when mulching. It is definitely set up for bagging from the factory. But they basically said the blade was not available yet or something.”

What’s to like, you want a mulcher and it’s not a mulcher.

“I dunno maybe the deck design just plain wont work.”

I don’t know, why would a non mulch design not mulch?

“You would think they would have solved this problem by now.”

You would think how could they make a non mulch design cut like it was a mulch design.

“I mean how many lawns did they have to mow before they realized the factory setup didn't work very well for mulching?”

I mean how many times does a piece of equipment have to be used for something it was not designed to be used for, for someone to find out it’s not suited for it?

topsites
05-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Did you know that over the years I came to the realization that it is attitudes like these that create BobbyGedds.

Mikegyver
05-06-2011, 08:46 AM
We have a something like a first gen exmark pushmower (its the one before the new kind) and its total junk....
My exmark dealer had told me it was based on the old toro homeowner one, and honestly I did not believe him. My brother and I were looking at a local craigslist and found the EXACT SAME MOWER, with low and behold a TORO logo on it. We got the thing as part of a package deal....the engine was seized and it was in bad mechanical condition....we tried to re-hab it but to no avail. Go with the hrc216....and find one used....I got a lot of them for pennies on the dollar and just added new shafts...one of them has to be at least 10-15 years old and runs like a new one....
mike

ALC-GregH
05-06-2011, 10:40 AM

I haven't found one yet, and I probably never will.

cutyourgrass
05-19-2011, 07:43 PM
I bought an Exmark 21" commercial X-Series mower. I needed a good push mower and I looked at mowers for a while. I could not find one mower that had all of the features I wanted in one package. So I decided to give the Exmark mower a try because it was pretty close, actually it is very close to what I wanted.

Anyway I like everything about the mower except the deck clogs up when mulching. It is definitely set up for bagging from the factory. By the shape of the deck underneath I thought it would be a good mulching mower.

I talked to the dealer about getting a mulching blade for it, or at least a blade that would allow it to mulch. But they basically said the blade was not available yet or something.

Thanks

I'm looking at that exact mower and was told by my dealer that it comes with a mulching blade and you only need the plug. Now, I have to wonder.

SouthSide Cutter
05-19-2011, 09:15 PM

None that I have seen in thick wet fescue. In dry not to tall yes.