PDA

View Full Version : MONITOR GROWING DEGREE DAY FOR WEED EMERGENCE

ant
02-22-2000, 11:08 PM
ITS COMMON TO HERE A PESTICIDE APPLICATION CO. TO USE GROWING DEGREE DAY MODAL FOR INSECT ACTIVITY BUT DID ANY ONE EVER LOOK INTO OR DID A STUDY ON THE GROWING DEGREE DAY ON WEED EMERGENCE?<br>ANTHONY N.J.

thelawnguy
02-23-2000, 06:33 AM
Our local Lesco posts soil temps from several area locations daily so we can see how much longer we can put off the preemergent apps(!).<p>Here it varies widely, whether your in the valley or the hill country. Degree day averages are taken from one central location so you would have to record your own model at your shop for a truly accurate count.<p>Bill<p>Bill<p>----------<br>&quot;...half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.&quot; R.L.<br>

GroundKprs
02-29-2000, 09:08 PM
Growing degree days is an interesting overall predictor, but hardly functional in real life. I have seen microclimate insect activity 4-5 weeks ahead of degree day model based on local weather service data. Would only be useful if you set up a digital recording thermometer in exact area you know to expect a problem.<p>Also, on preemergent predictions, numerous university studies over last 6-8 years have shown that mid-October application in northern states is just as effective for next spring as the spring application. Since microbal activity breaks down the pre-ems, and it is not active in winter, you really have a 6 month window of application.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

jborchers
02-04-2005, 09:31 AM
In my expierence, I can get the best weed control by just watering and mowing right. I have asked customers who can do this allow me to NOT put a pre-emergent down. The results have been great, and I am applying less pesticide into the enviroment.

anthony
06-04-2006, 10:50 PM
I Cant Find A Link To Ggd In My Area..

Let-it-mow!
06-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Other factors such as sunlight intensity, rain and humidity play a role also. GDD is an interesting idea but not always accurate.