PDA

View Full Version : do customers value our time?

lawnwizards
05-06-2011, 07:33 PM
i've had a customer for years now. always cut on thursday, every thursday. i pull in thursday like clockwork to cut the grass and they are having their driveway concreted. i'm like wtf? do customers really think so little of our time that they dont even bother to atleast notify us that something is going on? they will get a bill for today and they will pay it no problem but it just bugs me. anyone else have this happen?

LawnGuy35
05-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I did a spring cleanup two weeks ago for an older lady who is a realtor (got rid of all leaves and twigs, raked and mowed her lawn, trimmed bushes, and did edging).

I got there before she left for work, which was around 9:00. I estimated the job taking 4 hours (I don't put my hourly rate in the estimate...I just figure up how long I think it'll take and do the math).

A little before 1:00, she came home for lunch as I was finishing with the bushes and getting ready to mow and edge. She walked up to me and said how great her property looked, and then asked if I underestimated it a bit (not sure how she came to that conclusion...I'm definitely not a lowballer, but I'm nowhere near the most expensive lawn company in the city either). I chuckled and said, "sometimes we do that sort of thing, but the estimate I gave you stands."

She then asked how much longer I'd be. I said maybe an hour or 90 minutes tops, to which she responded, "this is hard work and I'm going to pay you for it. How much will it be?"

At first I refused, but she again insisted on paying me extra, so I added my rate for 90 minutes of work to the estimate and she wrote me a check on the spot.

After finishing up, I left thinking, "wow, somebody gets it...there are people out there who actually appreciate my hard work."

weeze
05-06-2011, 08:17 PM
some appreciate it and will go the extra mile to pay you extra and others will call you anytime of the day and expect you to drop everything and go to their house lol

topsites
05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Some look me right in the eyes and tell me a straight-faced lie.

meets1
05-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Your time valued - whatever - it is of value to you and you only my friend.

In regards to concrete driveway - why couldn't you mow?

lawnwizards
05-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Your time valued - whatever - it is of value to you and you only my friend.

In regards to concrete driveway - why couldn't you mow?

i've cut the grass the same way for 7+ years. down and back up. you wanna explain the grass clippings on the fresh concrete? :waving:

meets1
05-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Clippings in crete you bagging or not. Also why you mow sameway for seven years. Whatever I guess. No backyard to mow or side yards. Need a pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
05-06-2011, 11:25 PM
i've cut the grass the same way for 7+ years. down and back up. you wanna explain the grass clippings on the fresh concrete? :waving:

LMAO mowing the same way for 7 years. Sounds like you wasted your own time by showing up and not mowing.

grass-scapes
05-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Are you scalping yet as you ride through the ruts?

rain man
05-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Customers (people) are like playing baseball. Even if a hitter consistantly goes to right field, you never know when one will come off the bat down the first base line. Any of them can get into the loco weed at any time...so play them that way.

flatlander42
05-07-2011, 01:29 AM

How do you cut the borders of a lawn?

Dr.NewEarth
05-07-2011, 01:44 AM
I had an hoa. We were there like clockwork. They were a total pita to deal with.
Complained about every-thing, like they were crazy.

It was thirty units in a tight little community built over top of a cement bunker parking arcade. They had lots of deciduous trees that should not be planted there and we were asked to give an estimate to remove some and prune others.
Never heard back.

Weeks later we show up for work one morning, like clockwork remember....and they had some other tree company taking out all of these trees while we should be doing our landscape maintenance for the week. And the council members were standing around watching them. Workers compensation won't allow us to work near other workers
We'd get a huge fine.

Then they complained that we didn't do all of our work routines for the week. Pita.
Eventually, we walked on the contract. There was so much b.s. going on all the time.
Too much to get into here.

Funny thing. A year later, the new contractor phoned me literally crying
"What's wrong with these people?" he said.

BadRancher
05-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Its really not their responsibility too, but I understand what you guys are saying. I have been pissed off my share too, but it is part of the game. It is our job to develop the instincts to weed out the serious people from the BS'ers.

lawnwizards
05-07-2011, 07:56 AM

i dont make ruts but thanks for asking. maybe youre the one who needs to learn how to cut grass??:hammerhead:

Woody82986
05-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Customers (people) are like playing baseball. Even if a hitter consistantly goes to right field, you never know when one will come off the bat down the first base line. Any of them can get into the loco weed at any time...so play them that way.

Ummm... if a hitter consistently hits to right field, then it's pretty much a given that one will more than likely get hit down the first base line. Right field is the outfield position behind the 1st and 2nd basemen. I think you mean that every now and then he would get a hit down the 3rd base line and into left field. Lessons from a baseball nerd. haha