PDA

View Full Version : How about this truck for lawn maintenance

Currier
10-06-2002, 07:21 PM
On truck trader:
http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/6/7/2205967.htm

I think it would have potential, I wonder how the v10 would be? I think I'd rather have diesel.

Any guesses as to price? I'll probably call on monday just to see how much!$$

mdb landscaping
10-06-2002, 08:10 PM
somebody on this site owns a truck like that. maybe they will respond.

Bunton Guy
10-06-2002, 09:22 PM
Diesel will give you a few more MPG and the gas will have more get up and go speed. Both will pull their loads.

Green Pastures
10-06-2002, 09:29 PM
I love my V10 F-250. It is a little thirsty though, at least it runs on regular.

Scott

MikeLT1Z28
10-06-2002, 10:03 PM
not sure about the V-10 but i know the 'stroke makes like 525 lb ft of torque.

MacLawnCo
10-06-2002, 10:08 PM
To get back on subject, the truck will suit you nicely if you plan on only mowing with it. It really stands out. A local company has 4 rigs like that only they are on isuzu cab overs. The only drawbacks I can see are the following. 1) what do you do if you want to plow? 2) how do you haul mulch? 3)how are you going to haul clippings or even leaves if your customers want leaf removal.

If you can afford to have a dedicated mowing rig, it is a great set up. You may want to check out how long the actual deck is on that truck. It looks like you wont be able to fit many mowers on that rig. I know if the company wants to haul anything other than two DC's, they have to have it sit on the dovetail. It does the job well, but its not for everyone.

Bunton Guy
10-06-2002, 10:15 PM
F-450 has terrible turning radius that is most likely the major draw back. Other than that it will work just fine for mowing.

JimB
10-07-2002, 12:00 AM
It's a nice lookin truck but do you really need to spend all that money for a lawn cuttin truck???
That back deck looks like it will fill up real quick.
What if a customer needs a yard or two of topsoil or mulch, how will you haul it there.
I have 91 chevy low-boy dump and pull a Big-Tex 16 foot open trailer for all my equipment and it works out just perfect.
If you are gonna buy a new truck or any kind, spend the extra bucks and get the diesel engine, you'll get almost twice the fuel mileage, the engine will have more pulling power and it will last at least three times longer than any gas engine, it's a no brainer.

...Jim

Currier
10-07-2002, 12:10 AM
I already have a good truck f-250 gas, and an excellent trailer, 16' tandem. I just ran across this one when I was browsing though the website and thought it might be good for some thoughts/conversation here.

I was amazed at the number of 450/550 trucks for sale from this one outfit in Texas. They must have quite an inventory!

I was also surprised that this maintenance truck was gas and not diesel. I think it has potential to be a good outfit but I'm betting the cost will be unbelievably high (even worse if it was diesel). I would imagine that the extreme price would outweigh many of the benefits.

I'll call just because I want to know how much gold they think it is worth:)

Gravel Rat
10-07-2002, 12:54 AM
The one drawback is the truck is a gas pot if your gonna be driving the truck alot the V-10 isn't engine of choice for a 450 these trucks weigh 8000lbs empty. I had a F-Superduty with 460 gas the truck got a whopping 6mpg M/T I heard the V-10 is a bit better but still its gas :cry:

For me gas is 3.42 imp gal and diesel is 3.10 imp gal so its a no brainer diesel is cheaper to operate.

As for the deck on that truck its kinda useless for hauling anything else but a bobcat or small mini excavator or anything else thats roll on roll off. Myself I rather have truck that dumps and a trailer to pack the equipment a dumping flatdeck is a must on my truck I'am not unloading a truck by hand. I haul quite a few loads of brush per year along with hauling trash, dirt and lumber.

The 450s don't turn that sharp and they are a bit hard to squeeze them into tight spots but you get used to it making narrow turns in two tries isn't uncommon.

The 450s do pack alot of weight they can carry more than what the manufacturers gross is set at. I carried 9000 lbs on my old F-Superduty pushing the GVW to 17,000 pounds 2000lbs over on a F-550 I drove we loaded 10,000lbs on it.

If you doing alot of work in residential areas where the truck never leaves hard pavement and requires a easy to manuever truck I would say get one of those small COE trucks. The GMC W-4500 or the W-5500 trucks carry a good load can get in and out of tight spots but don't try off roading with them not enough traction on the rear of these trucks.

The lawm mowing bussiness must be good if your gonna buy a new truck like that the lawn mowing contractors in this area barely can afford to buy a beater P/U.

The Mowerdude
10-07-2002, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Bunton Guy
F-450 has terrible turning radius that is most likely the major draw back. Other than that it will work just fine for mowing.

Really I'm not being sarcastic or anything, cause I'd really like to know....are there ANY duallys that have a sharp turning radius?

I'm glad I got to see this pic, cause I love the mountains in the background.

Bunton Guy
10-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Yes the cabovers such as Isuzu, mitsubishi, chevy, GMC are all duallys and around or cheaper than the F-450 or 550 and their turning radius is amazing ! its the same radius of a small sports car OR BETTER ! test drive one and you will be amazed. Your looking to spend around gas movel cabover with 16-18 ft. landscape bed 24,000 & a diesel model will set you back $34,000 give or take a few K but its more worth it for the cabover but like I said if you get the F-450 you will still be making a good choice its a good truck.:dizzy:

Brickman
10-07-2002, 09:42 PM
Currier if you want that truck hauled send me an email.

Tvov
10-07-2002, 11:16 PM
One big consideration with turning radius is 2wd vs 4wd. My 1987 F-350 dually rear wheel drive has an incredibly tight turning radius, tighter than my 1993 Ranger 4wd. The '87 F350 basically scrubs rubber off the front wheels when you turn the steering wheel all the way over.

But... A friend has an older 4 door Chevy 2wd 3500 pickup, and the turning radius on that thing is Huge.

Oh well...

Swampbeast
10-23-2002, 02:10 PM
HA HA! You wanna make it turn? Just slam the accelerator to the floor and spin the wheel! She'l break loose in the back and spin 180 faster than my Moms sports car!
No, seriously, I wouldnt recommend that when its loaded. Heck, I wouldnt recommend that even if it was UNloaded!
I would not get the gas engine in it. You will probably be doing to much slow driving (under 45 MPH) to justify that. With constant stopping and starting, diesels have so much low end torque they just chug right along with out sucking down fuel like theres no tomorrow. Sure, its more expensive at first, but they last so much longer than gas, and deisels cheaper, as Gravel Rat has pointed out. :D
And I wouldnt get a bed that short either. No room for anything except a couple of mowers and weedeaters. And what if you needed to haul some stuff, like mulch or grass clippings?

Always Green
10-27-2002, 09:58 PM
Gravel Rat,
Thats nothing I put 10,000 lbs on my '99 F450 all the time, have pushed it close to 12,000 a time or two on short runs.

Mine is registered for 27,000 lbs, I pull a 15,000lbs Cat trackloader all over the place. nothing beats pulling the cat with the a/c and the cd player on full blast, sure is alot better than the '77 international 1700 I used to use to move this machine around.

Maybe it's because I used to use a bigger truck but I think mine turns on a dime.

Going to sell the international and get a F750 extended cab next, love them 7.3l turbos.

I have 9 fords love every one,have has 2 chevys never liked them.or anyother chevy I,ve ever been around there just JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIKE A ROCK A BIG USELESS ROCK JUST SITTING IN UR DRIVEWAY SLOWLY ERODING AWAY!!!!!!

Brickman
10-27-2002, 10:36 PM
LIKE A ROCK A BIG USELESS ROCK JUST SITTING IN UR DRIVEWAY SLOWLY ERODING AWAY!!!!!!

On a quiet night you can hear Chebys rust. :D