PDA

View Full Version : War Stories

KINGMADE
05-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Topsites inspired me to start this thread. What is the worst injury you have had on the job? Does not have to be a green industry job. I will start

I was working for a company called unimast. We took flat rolled steel and ran it through a series of rollers to produce metal studs used in commercial buildings. I was running 14 gauge through the machine when the roll of steel got stuck on a guide arm that the steel sits on. Being all macho man I decide to push down on the guide arm hoping to free it up. As soon as I did the machine started up and the steel became unstuck real fast. Came up and hit me square in the face. Right under my bottom lip. Saw stars for a second. Grabbed my face. Went to the bathroom to see that it had cut me so bad I could see my teeth without opening my mouth. 14 stitches and a piss test later, I was back at work. Only a small scar now. So... whatcha got?

alexschultz1
05-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Took a small chainsaw to the shin, it cut a 4" long gash all the way to the bone. Lucky I had stitches on site so I stitched it up and went back to work. Needless to say I bought some chaps
Posted via Mobile Device

elitelawnteam1
05-07-2011, 08:50 AM
I'll say this upfront, mine is not as bad as others but i'm posting it anyway

I was unhitching my trailer, which was loaded with about 1500 lbs of yard waste that i was gonna dump in the morning, and then the trailer jack seal broke, and sent the trailer slamming into my knee, and it proceeded to fall on top of me. Thank God I had a helper nearby because I would have had a very hard time getting that trailer off me all by myself

It ended up scraping all the skin off my knee (was walking funny the rest of the day) and had a huge bruise on my leg, It happened last week

Richard Martin
05-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Which time?

Let's see. There was the time I got my hand caught in a Coats 20-20A tire machine changing out those stupid plastic spacers you used to use to change the tires on certain wheels. Oh and that time I grabbed ahold of a red hot piece of steel someone had just gotten done welding on. And then there was the welding glove that had a hole in it and the torch I was using apparently had a leak on the acetylene side. It filled up the glove with acetylene and then exploded with my hand still in the glove. And once I was trying to remove a pitman arm with a tie rod seperator. I hit the seperator with a 2 pound hammer, it got pissed, flipped around and hit me right in the mouth damaging several teeth and crushing the tooth pockets. Me and pain, we go back a long way. My first was when I was about 10 years old. I was cutting a neighbor's grass (imagine that) and the mower stalled out. I reached down to restart the old 3 HP Briggs engine and put my hand right on the muffler. That baby was about 800 degrees. That hurt like hell. There's more stuff but you get the idea.

jhouchins
05-07-2011, 09:00 AM
This sounds like it will be an intersting thread. LOL

doyles
05-07-2011, 09:21 AM
diffrent times diffrent things i was working at a spring shop punching steel had the punch explode and whent deep into my left arm another time i just finished mowing a yard with a 21" reached down to pick it up and grabed the muffler than i was working cutting down trees in the city so i was toping them first made my first cut across and whent to put the saw back in the cut to cut it deeper saw kicked out hit me in the chest tore a 2" hole down to the bone good thing i had just started to rev the saw up

KINGMADE
05-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Aha the good ole muffler grab. I did it as a kid. Instantly blistered two fingers. Have been closely watching mufflers ever since.

rain man
05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
One broken back and two electrocutions (fellow employees) at old job. I praticed safety and had a good run of luck other than wire in one eye. In the grass business...so far so good.

mdlwn1
05-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Myself..not bad but funny. Typical high idling chainsaw to my forearm like others have had..only difference was I'd been cutting thick poison ivy vines most of the day. Systemic poisen ivy is unimaginably bad.....new breakouts every 2 hours on EVERY part of the body for 3 weeks or so....not to mention I was wrapped in gauze like a mummy.......Best/worst story for me...A guy in Ocean County NJ cut the front of his foot off with a saw blade on the end of the weed wacker. His boot hangs on their shop wall.

cpllawncare
05-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I've been lucky for the most part, but I've witnessed some crazy stuff, When I was in the service I saw a guy blow his hand off with a grenade that he thought a dud. While stationed in Germany, my roomate at the time, shot himself three times in the leg with a M-16 while playing with the charging handle. My helper did the ole muffler grab just last week, LOL

Patriot Services
05-07-2011, 07:35 PM
I've been lucky for the most part, but I've witnessed some crazy stuff, When I was in the service I saw a guy blow his hand off with a grenade that he thought a dud. While stationed in Germany, my roomate at the time, shot himself three times in the leg with a M-16 while playing with the charging handle. My helper did the ole muffler grab just last week, LOL

At 39.5" long you have to go out of your way to shoot yourself in the leg with an M16. I don't miss the idiots that shouldn't be issued a squirt gun. I have numerous scrapnel flecks on my arms, legs and neck from stone and bullet fragments.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
05-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Which time?

Yeah, I know it, same here.

Let me put it another way...
I know for a fact there exists a limit to how much pain one can feel, I know that once pain
gets to a certain point, it hurts really bad but once pain reaches that point, it can't get no worse.
I know you can put pain on a 1-10 scale and for me, a broken bone is a 10, possibly the only thing that could be
worse is maybe burns, in terms of how extensively one gets burnt, but I've burnt my entire side and it hurts but
it doesn't get any worse.
The facial trimmer branch was a level 7 or so pain in comparison.

There was the time when I got just a little too close to a fence with the Wb and the skirt
of the deck caught a board that was sticking out, the Wb stopped on a dime.
I flew into the fixed bar with such force that it broke down at the weld and I instantly felt excruciating chest pain,
a pain that would stay with me for weeks, then months... Especially in the mornings when I'd first get up, and at
odd times during the day like if I twisted wrong...
I can not recall finishing the yard that day, although it is possible that I did
with a spare mower, what I do recall is it was some slow going for a while.
I suspect I had a hairline fracture in one or more ribs, that pain was some of the worst I have felt.

Another time I caught a mound of dirt with the deck, flew over the handlebars and seeing myself flying in front
of the mower with the blades still spinning I put my hand out to stop the fall, and stop myself from falling in a
bad way I did, unfortunately the location my hand chose was the hot muffler.
And it was hot, she'd been running wide open, it really sucked to hear my hand sizzling like a piece of meat and
not being able to do a thing about it until the fall was over.
Took a ton of motrin before I could work again but about 1/2 hour, a bit of gauze,
some anti-burn medication and a LOT of painkillers later I finished out the day.
The pain from that didn't last that long, but it was near those limits again.

Then there was the air-conditioning system flush chemical facial, that story's floating around here somewheres.
That pain was pretty delish as well.

I've also caught hot radiator juice before, full on.
Oh, and I dropped my car on my foot once (and I ain't talking about no toy vehicles).

cpllawncare
05-07-2011, 11:52 PM
At 39.5" long you have to go out of your way to shoot yourself in the leg with an M16. I don't miss the idiots that shouldn't be issued a squirt gun. I have numerous scrapnel flecks on my arms, legs and neck from stone and bullet fragments.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know right! you would think, but he also managed to shoot and disable the heater in the guard shack he was in, it was in the middle of winter, temps around zero, the rest of the guards were more pissed about that than his leg. LOL

KINGMADE
05-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Worst pain ever felt... That is easy. From the lip accident to broken fingers. The WORST PAIN EVER was severely spraining my ankle. I was biting on couch cushions. My ankle has never been right since. I would rather get my lip cut and stitched 20 times than do the ankle roll again.

FLAhaulboy
05-08-2011, 12:40 PM
My war (or close calls) stories:

Back in the day when I was a novice chainsaw user, I was bout 10' up in a live oak, using a Stihl 028 Super, I was cutting a small limb out above me, I cut thru & came down and bounced the running chain on my thigh, I was wearing sweat pants, it tore a huge rip in the pants & scratched the skin-no blood. Boy, was I lucky!

Another time, I was 20' up in a oak tree, a "v" tree, two trunks from the ground up, had my legs braced between the the two, I cut thru one but didnt cut all the way thru, it fell over and (bam!) hit the tree & knocked me loose, I fell, was wearing a hard hat, and only got bruised up. Them 028 saws are dangerous! :hammerhead:

I was at the landfill yrs ago unloading my 8x16 trailer, it has 8' high walls & I use it as a dumpster at the office-throw small loads in. It was Saturday afternoon, I was the only one out dumping in the fill, I was on top trying to pull out something stuck in the load, I FELL backwards off the trailer into the soft dirt on my back! I was very very lucky here in that I did not land on any dangerous debris and get impaled.

I have a thread on LS I started last yr, about a new way to use a skil saw to cut your thigh up. The pics are nasty!

Somewhere in Alabama, there is a place called "Yellow Creek Falls". I've hiked up to it several times, big rocky creek running thru ravines, between to big rock faced mountains, over the falls into a big pool of water, that runs into Weiss Lake. I got up to this flat area right to the falls that you have to climb down to, I SLIPPED, fell on my butt & was sliding into the falls raging water, I was able stop with my feet bout a foot into the water & push myself back...I was 8 ft from dropping over the falls cliff! Had I of gotten into that water, I'd been over the falls into bout 2 seconds. Here is a pic of the falls:

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=751&pictureid=4735

j-ville native
05-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I was using the walk behind on a new lawn, going kinda fast, the mower hit a tree stump that was sticking out of the ground that I didn't see because the grass hadn't been cut in a while. The mower bounced back as I was still walking forward and it hit me right in the nuts. ouch

Guzzo856
05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
ive smashed my fingers on poles in tight areas with a walk behind/ Also been hit with a rock the size of a golf ball out of a rider 2 yrs ago. thought i got shot..... ouch

timslawnandlandscape
05-10-2011, 06:15 PM
War Story:

Out of high school I worked for a Manufacture/Distribution company. One day I was walking between the racks and stepped out into an opening and WHAM. Out of nowhere one of the set-down fork lifts hit me. it launched me 5' before I hit the ground and slide for another 10' (it was the biggest one the company had). I got a visit to the doctor for a piss test and Advil. Could not feel my anything form my elbow down for 48hrs.

The same guy hit someone the next week

GMLC
05-10-2011, 06:39 PM
I was cutting a body mount bolt out of a truck frame with a cutting tourch. The rubber body mount melted and went down my sleeve. I didnt even feel it at first. Needless to say third degree burns are a b#@ch!!!

NBL
05-10-2011, 06:48 PM
About 10 years ago, I was using a hand held hedge trimmer without gloves. I took my right hand off and swung the machine toward the ground with my left hand and somehow I managed to move my right hand back toward the occillating blades. My right index finger was severed at the very tip. It was like a cap on pez dispensor.

I had it stitched up and I can use it without any problems, thank God.

pwaltrip
05-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I was about 10 feet up on a ladder squaring up some red tips, like an idiot I tried to one hand it while reaching for a piece I should have moved the ladder for. Lost my balance and while flailing my other arms to try to get my balance back I swept the wide open shrub trimmers right into my other hand. Specifically into my middle finger...I was working across from a fire station and I just ran over there. They drove me in the ambulance. Pretty much lost the finger, somehow they stuck it all back together and I have it today but I can't feel anything from the knuckle up!

About 3 years ago at work I got to see what happens when a guy gets his hand caught in the rollers on a concrete truck!!!.....Not cool!