PDA

View Full Version : Burnt Out Lawns

freshprince94
05-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Any of you guys lawns getting brown and burnt? We have had one good rain in the past 4 weeks and it has been hot as hell. I skipped two lawns today that were both burnt and hadn't grown since last week...neither irrigate much but most of my lawns have looked a little heat stressed.

abrightday
05-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Yup, getting toasty out there,,drought stress in any area of lawn not properly watered,, good time to see wether your sprinkler systems are working well or not.
www.YourLandscapePro.com

Patriot Services
05-07-2011, 05:47 PM
May 20th. Average start of the rainy season. July usually being the wettest month. The Farmers Almanac is still a useful resource.
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
05-07-2011, 10:41 PM
A few years back (2005 maybe) was one of the worst dry seasons I experienced here. I remember driving through the Orlando area and there were these burnt spots all along the freeway where fires started in the grass, it was like every couple of miles there had been fires.

What year was it that we had those fires on I4 right before you get to Disney? I remember driving through the area weeks after they got the road open and there was thick smoke/fog at night and they were still putting out hot spots. Its was neat driving through.

freshprince94
05-08-2011, 01:45 AM
A few years back (2005 maybe) was one of the worst dry seasons I experienced here. I remember driving through the Orlando area and there were these burnt spots all along the freeway where fires started in the grass, it was like every couple of miles there had been fires.

What year was it that we had those fires on I4 right before you get to Disney? I remember driving through the area weeks after they got the road open and there was thick smoke/fog at night and they were still putting out hot spots. Its was neat driving through.

May have been 1999. I remember that as well.

Keith
05-08-2011, 03:21 AM
May have been 1999. I remember that as well.

1998 was the bad year for the fires. Lots of rain in the winter that started in Nov 97. Heavy rain, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes for a couple of months, then it completely shut off.

Everything is dry up here. A lot of those without wells or pumping off lakes are just letting them go. Seems that a hot, dry spring is the new normal.

Florida Gardener
05-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Rainy season in Florida is usually end of may-September. March and April are typically dry, no surprise there. I have a few lawns that have some rotor zones which were poorly designed that are struggling, but we did have some good rain the last 2 days which will help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
05-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Rainy season in Florida is usually end of may-September. March and April are typically dry, no surprise there. I have a few lawns that have some rotor zones which were poorly designed that are struggling, but we did have some good rain the last 2 days which will help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah it was weird last week. Lines of rain forming over central and moving quickly to the east coast. We had a brief downpour in Tampa Friday.
Posted via Mobile Device

bug-guy
05-09-2011, 07:20 AM
moisture manager/hydretain does work but you can't be lighty with the app

this is a customer of mine and he uses it

bugsNbows
05-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Drier than a popcorn fart here. We've had no rain for about two months. Now it's mid-90's and windy. The grass is crying loudly.

Landscape Poet
05-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Drier than a popcorn fart here. We've had no rain for about two months. Now it's mid-90's and windy. The grass is crying loudly.

Ours does not even have the energy to cry at this point. Even the clients that are very particular about their lawns are experiencing dry spots and hand watering to try to prevent leaf curl.

I am ready for our afternoon showers.

Patriot Services
05-12-2011, 08:55 PM
This weekend it is predicted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
05-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Ours does not even have the energy to cry at this point. Even the clients that are very particular about their lawns are experiencing dry spots and hand watering to try to prevent leaf curl.

I am ready for our afternoon showers.

I hear ya mike. The only lawns i have that are suffering are ones that have poorly designed rotor zones....

We need a week of 3-4 good heavy downpours to get things back to par. The rest of my yards are doing great.....

Keith
05-12-2011, 11:23 PM
I have to admit, I'm actually rather enjoying it. Everyone's lawns look the same, so I don't feel bad that mine are a little toasty in places. I'm still doing a bunch at 10 days. A few at more like 12. A couple inches of rain, and all hell is going to break loose. The summer flush will be on.

Landscape Poet
05-13-2011, 07:09 AM
. A couple inches of rain, and all hell is going to break loose. The summer flush will be on.
And the FL section of this forum will be dormant until November....LOL

Patriot Services
05-13-2011, 08:27 AM
I still get time since I don't do the driving anymore. Still need my daily chuckle. Like the Pedro from Girards that just ran full bore into the stop sign on a JD ztr. Hehehehehe.
Posted via Mobile Device