PDA

View Full Version : Better Ourdoor Products: Questions about them

Whitestone Properties
05-07-2011, 11:26 PM
This is my first post here. Have checked out several threads and found lots of useful information.

I have a small but growing lawn care company and ready to move from a 21" mower to a walk behind.

Have checked out a few brands (Toro, Exmark, Wright) and for the bang for the buck, I've read lots of great comments about Better Outdoor Products and I'm interested in their 32" Dually.

QUESTION:
I'm apprehensive to buy from them because of servicing issues. If it breaks, I cant' take it anywhere.

Do you guys have any constructive thoughts on this?
THNX

G. Ramey
05-07-2011, 11:34 PM
One thing to consider is dealer support. Find what mower brands are sold near you and find out which dealer has a good reputation. Look at that dealers brand of mower and see if it appeals to you. I'm not trying to talk you out of a BOP, just something to think about. Sooner or later you will need parts and service.

Flatop
05-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Here is a link to BOP service page where you can do your own repairs http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/index.asp?page=Service+Tips_H.htm. Majority of their mowers have Kawasaki motors so your local commercial mowing service department should not have a problem servicing them. "We have very few warranty issues with our mowers, but when we do, we work directly with you and (if needed) the local lawnmower repair shop of your choice to get it resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. When you have a problem, it becomes our problem until itís fixed." this is straight from their website. Looking to purchase a 32" BOP next year.

Exact Rototilling
05-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Been running Q36 single for 3+ year lack of dealer support is a zero issue for me. A few reverse levers and a cable broke and a few.belts beyond that nothing to worry about. Then again I'm very.mechanically inclined and repairs and minor fixes are a non issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

brucec
05-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Great company and great mower. I am on my 5th year with my 44 and it is still going strong. To date I have only replaced a clutch (which was pretty easy) and a couple of cables. I picked a new GrandStand and in my opinion the quick cuts at least as good in most conditions and it stripes better than the GS. I know most will not believe that it cuts as good as the GS but that it what I have seen so far and I really love the way the GS cuts.

Exact Rototilling
05-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Great company and great mower. I am on my 5th year with my 44 and it is still going strong. To date I have only replaced a clutch (which was pretty easy) and a couple of cables. I picked a new GrandStand and in my opinion the quick cuts at least as good in most conditions and it stripes better than the GS. I know most will not believe that it cuts as good as the GS but that it what I have seen so far and I really love the way the GS cuts.

Have you run the Oregon blades pn # 91-369 single notch high lifts? Blades need to be shortened slightly so they don't ding. Thus far I have found with these blades on the quick 44 to be less of a.clog fest over the other decks 32 and 36.
Posted via Mobile Device

brucec
05-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Have you run the Oregon blades pn # 91-369 single notch high lifts? Blades need to be shortened slightly so they don't ding. Thus far I have found with these blades on the quick 44 to be less of a.clog fest over the other decks 32 and 36.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have been running exmark hi lifts for some time now. much better over the stock ones.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-02-2011, 02:20 AM
I know this thread is a bit dated, but I wanted to share that I got burned pretty bad by having my dealer (BOP) on the other side of the country.

ESPECIALLY when I placed an order for desperately needed parts... and they failed to inform me that those parts were on backorder for weeks.

NEVER AGAIN. Absolutely not worth whatever savings I thought I would garner.

Exact Rototilling
06-02-2011, 02:30 AM
I have been running exmark hi lifts for some time now. much better over the stock ones.

Forgot to ask earlier ..... With the Oregon 91-369 blades on the Quick 44 vs Toro Grandstand how would you compare deck build up in damp conditions? Between the two mowers...?
Posted via Mobile Device

brucec
06-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Grandstand is much better in the wet hands down, but in slightly damp or dry the cut is about equal.

travski
06-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Personally I like my Q32... However, not having a dedicated service shop for that machine, it gets hairy at times. I will say they are a friendly, knowledgeable group and know every inch of their mowers. The Q32 is a nice design and fits just about anywhere. those are the reasons I like it...

With that being said, I believe if I had to do it again, I would buy something with service/parts in my town. It sucks to not have parts the same day something breaks on it. Also, some days/weeks I am very busy and the last thing I want to do after mowing all day is spending hours troubleshooting and fixing.

Exact Rototilling
06-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Precisely why a secondary primary use mower is needed with any sizeable client load... even if you bought it from a dealer. Dealers can be backed up as well and make you wait your turn.
Posted via Mobile Device