PDA

View Full Version : Bag or not to bag

MLC404
05-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Just wanted to know if you bag your grass or mulch or whatever and where you are from. I see a lot of guys outside of MA not bag, why? We bag everything but a condo complex that sits on a golf course because they said they didn't want it bagged.

Puddle of Oil
05-07-2011, 11:07 PM
if its wet grass it would probably be best to bag, if its dry let it fly.

JDiepstra
05-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Screw bagging!

Smallaxe
05-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Do grass clippings going back to the turf, help, hinder or is there no difference???

"Screw bagging", doesn't address the horticultural value of the question, and mowing wet grass isn't good for the general health of the turf either.

Does the OP address what is simplest for the operator or the health of the turf?

McFarland_Lawn_Care
05-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I never bagged at all previous years.... but this season I picked up a few clients who fertilize their lawns regularly and have it treated well, which makes it grows fast and THICK so I have to bag. All the rest I mulch up as best I can. I think if the lawn is low maintenance and struggles, then leaving the clippings will really help return some N to the soil when they break down and help sustain the lawn in dry spells.

nepatsfan
05-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Just wanted to know if you bag your grass or mulch or whatever and where you are from. I see a lot of guys outside of MA not bag, why? We bag everything but a condo complex that sits on a golf course because they said they didn't want it bagged.

We bag everything. It is pretty much industry standard around us. Most of the guys who don't bag are the weekend warriors and hacks.

nepatsfan
05-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Do grass clippings going back to the turf, help, hinder or is there no difference???

"Screw bagging", doesn't address the horticultural value of the question, and mowing wet grass isn't good for the general health of the turf either.

Does the OP address what is simplest for the operator or the health of the turf?

Here is the way I see it. It is certainly better to get the nutrients back into the lawn. Nitrogen especially but in order to make it beneficial to my customers we would have to cut them 3 times a week in the spring and early summer. They are almost all fertilized and irrigated and grow really well. If you go there and the grass is 6-8 inches tall and thick and you are cutting it to 3-3.5 inches, you have to bag. It would make an absolute mess if you tried to mulch it. You would have clumps all over the lawn which would actually be detrimental to the lawn. Therefore unless a customer would like to pay to have there lawn mowed every couple days my belief is that bagging is the way to go. People who have thin lawns that dont grow well you can probably let it fly but we bag everyone.

j-ville native
05-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Grass clippings should be left on the lawn (clippings, not clumps) provide lots of nutrients and may even reduce fertilization requirements

STIHL GUY
05-08-2011, 08:45 AM
i only bag if i absolutely have to. otherwise i see no point in taking much longer to empty the bag a million times and then unload the truck when its full of grass.

grassman88
05-08-2011, 09:38 AM
i dont bag unless i have to i use to bag just because it made me look better untill the home owners of my nicest lawns told me that bagging there lawn is going to slow me down they said take off the bagger and get more lawns hahaha i realy like those custemers and they are my favrite to cut i will bag them every now and then if theres heavy growth but mostly just side discharge and if theres alot of clippng just got over it

fireman gus
05-08-2011, 10:46 AM
We have always bagged (30 years), until this year. I have started mulching whenever I can get by with it. I have wanted to in the past but the people didn't like it not being bagged. With our Walkers and their mulching decks it looks good and so far no complaints.

Groomer
05-08-2011, 12:07 PM
99% of my clients have high quality turf. I haven't bagged anything since the eighties. Heavy spring growth/rain means double cuts and blower fluffs. Shooting for a 4-5 day cut this week if momma nature allows.

fivestarlandscapes
05-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I second that bagging in MA is the professional standard. Thats why they invented the walker type mower. Mowing a lawn twice to mulch clippings is for the neighborhood kid trying to make gas money. I run a navigator with the varible discharge baffle. If its real dry I will close it up and only bag about 1/2 the clippings. However, in one pass it still looks perfect. Its not dry too often here in the spring though. I can totally understand not bagging on poor quality, unfertilized lawns.

Groomer
05-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Ya, but MA set the "professional standard" for just about everything, right? Wasn't the book invented in Taunton? So you guys are filling landfills with lawn waste that is better suited left on turf to decompose and re-fert? Wrong. But hey, I'm just a neighborhood kid trying to make gas money so I can go to the next lawn gig. OK, seems to be a regional thing and to each his own, right? Bag on, boys!

scagrider22
05-09-2011, 11:04 PM
For me bagging is faster and it looks better. Very little cleanup, my guys never get grass on cars, houses, in the mulch or anywhere else. Also no double cutting and this time of year double cutting may rut the lawns up very bad. I pick up most of my new maintenance customers because we bag. The only yards we do not bag are the large wide open yards with little landscaping (over 2 acres).

Groomer
05-10-2011, 08:28 AM
OK, we've had record rainfall this spring, 14" in april alone. Which means outta control lawn growth and playing catch-up after many days of rain, every week. Your sitting there watching it rain, knowing you have 50 lawns you haven't been to, and your gonna go out and fill a semi truck with wet, heavy, rain soaked clippings, dump and repeat, and thats faster?

grassman88
05-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I second that bagging in MA is the professional standard. Thats why they invented the walker type mower. Mowing a lawn twice to mulch clippings is for the neighborhood kid trying to make gas money. I run a navigator with the varible discharge baffle. If its real dry I will close it up and only bag about 1/2 the clippings. However, in one pass it still looks perfect. Its not dry too often here in the spring though. I can totally understand not bagging on poor quality, unfertilized lawns.

im in MA and dont bag, i side discharge even fertilized and irragated lawns and most lawns i have now had lawn care componies that bagged every lawn. most people dont care if its bagged as long as it looks clean and theres not clippings visable on top. i have 3 lawns in this one neiborhood of 7 houses 1 guy does his own and then another lawn care company has the other 3 he had all 6 3 years ago and they have slowly been changing to me and i charge more then him he bags everything i dont but my lawns still look much better and the peolpe notice, so i think bagging is a waist of time unless you apsulutly have to

scagrider22
05-10-2011, 08:43 AM
OK, we've had record rainfall this spring, 14" in april alone. Which means outta control lawn growth and playing catch-up after many days of rain, every week. Your sitting there watching it rain, knowing you have 50 lawns you haven't been to, and your gonna go out and fill a semi truck with wet, heavy, rain soaked clippings, dump and repeat, and thats faster?

I dont sit around and watch the rain we still work, I have way to much work to do and yes its faster, no clumps, no double cutting, no blowing lawns off or blowing off wet concrete. All my mowers are Exmarks with three bag ultra vacs, they hold lots of grass. At the end of the day when their done mowing we dump the grass in our compost pile.

Smallaxe
05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Bagging takes more time, by stop mowing go empty the bags in the truck and go back to mowing... We charge more for customers who insist on bagging...

I blame the stupid people who believe thatch is the clippings... The H.O. ends up believing the clippings are thatch too, and therefore we don't wantit on the lawn... Stupidity in LCOs ruin it for all of us...

grassman88
05-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Bagging takes more time, by stop mowing go empty the bags in the truck and go back to mowing... We charge more for customers who insist on bagging...

I blame the stupid people who believe thatch is the clippings... The H.O. ends up believing the clippings are thatch too, and therefore we don't wantit on the lawn... Stupidity in LCOs ruin it for all of us...

thank you lol clippings have nothing to do with thatch the clippings decompose and act as a natural fertilizer(and the fertilizer that was put down is still in the grass blade why remove it from the lawn?). its so hard to explain to H.O. when another LCO tells them its the clippings. bagging my lawns i would lose so much money i would have to unload 2-3 times a day

abraham
05-13-2011, 12:21 AM
baggers are fools,unless you charge a boatload. to keep emptying bags in your truck,driving around with extra weight,and dumping at the end of the day.if there's clumps,i use my backpack blower to break them up and whatever is left over(not much)i just put in my truck.saves time gas and money.the bottom line is always money without sacrificing quality

Groomer
05-13-2011, 08:40 AM
So you actually bag in the rain? I wanna see a video of that!

wrager
05-13-2011, 08:51 AM
thank you lol clippings have nothing to do with thatch the clippings decompose and act as a natural fertilizer(and the fertilizer that was put down is still in the grass blade why remove it from the lawn?). its so hard to explain to H.O. when another LCO tells them its the clippings. bagging my lawns i would lose so much money i would have to unload 2-3 times a day

So very true (except maybe Zoysia). Shouldn't be cutting more than 1/3 of the blade as a practice. If so, mulching is always appropriate. HO's need to understand and believe in proper lawn cultural practices.

Smallaxe
05-13-2011, 09:00 AM
... HO's need to understand and believe in proper lawn cultural practices.

Problem is that the LCOs are products of the BS that was told to H.O. for 50 years... Cultural practices are centered around money flow, not what is good for the soil, turf, or environment...

nepatsfan
05-13-2011, 06:22 PM
So very true (except maybe Zoysia). Shouldn't be cutting more than 1/3 of the blade as a practice. If so, mulching is always appropriate. HO's need to understand and believe in proper lawn cultural practices.

So what do you do when they fertilize the heck out of a lawn and it is 6, 7, 8 inches long a week later. Our lawns seriously grow that well. They are irrigated and fertilized. No one wants to pay you to cut the lawn three times a week, I don't care how much money they have. I know some of you are cutting grandmas lawn that hasn't seen any real maintenance in years and doesn't need to be bagged, she just wants it cut real short once a month but for those of us that are cutting really nice lawns....at least around me....it is impossible. Believe me if we could get away with it....we wouldn't bag. I have two mowing crews and would love to cut down on some time....it isn't happening here.

Groomer
05-13-2011, 06:47 PM
I cut lawns today that were cut on sunday, 5 day cut. I couldn't do that and bag unless the sun stayed out till midnight and came up at 3 am. Oh, and its raining again. Roll on.

HS7885
05-13-2011, 06:54 PM
^^^Same here. A lot of our customers have nice landscape everywhere (we work around a lake so their never 100% dry either) and u just cant do a nice job without bagging. We just picked up a new customer, 3 acre lawn and it grows so much in a week, its impossible to side discharge or mulch. We tried and it took 5 guys an hour to clean it up. We even double cut it. Now we do it a little less than an hour 3 guys, 2 exmark lazer Z
x-series with ultra vacs. Dump the grass in the woods and move on.

Smallaxe
05-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Imagine if all the active growing into the bag of a lawnmower, spent its energy in growing healthy roots... People fertilize in early Spring before the grass is even awake and say "hey, look at all the Spring rain... What can be done...?" It's Stupid, just plain Stupid... IMO... :)

Groomer
05-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Well said, Smallaxe. See above. 3 acres and, "dump in the woods and move on"? Wow, I say post the video of that, cause when it rains for 3 days in Mohopac or wherever, and you ain't been there yet.......and its day 8? bag on boys. Do you dream about dumping the bagger?

HS7885
05-13-2011, 09:07 PM
HAHA. Most of the jobs we do have a place to dump on site. If not it goes in the truck. We dont bag every lawn only the ones that need to be. Like the job I was describing, woods in the back yard. Video? How is that hard to understand.. When ur on day 8 and the property has beds everywhere and its high, yes u empty the bag a lot more but when ur mowing at a $2mil house they dont want wet grass mopped all over the place.
How do u cut grass in Ohio?

Groomer
05-13-2011, 09:29 PM
We cut lawns like lawns should be cut. Shoot some pics of those dump sites, no video required. Last year's clippings still there? A 2mil home shouldn't have a clipping "dump site" anywhere on the property..

HS7885
05-13-2011, 09:56 PM
U don't seem to understand huh. Please ill fly u out to ny on me and u can use my exmark turf tracer and double cut the lawns I bag and blow the clumps off by yourself. I'll watch. We do a lot of lawns like that but trust me certain ones need to be bagged.
Yea last years clippings are still their. A long with the leaves and branches that fall in the rest of the woods haha. U never seen a nice houses with woods around. We don't dump **** on the edge of peoples properties. Even in developments we do 8 houses. 4 on the lake side 4 on the woods side. Grass goes in the woods simple. The rest like I said go in the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
05-13-2011, 11:51 PM
I cut lawns today that were cut on sunday, 5 day cut. I couldn't do that and bag unless the sun stayed out till midnight and came up at 3 am. Oh, and its raining again. Roll on.

Well we run on a schedule. You guys that mow 8 lawns a week and pick and choose what days to do them on may have the ability to change the schedules around. We are mowing 40 lawns a day...I don't have the luxury of a 5 day cut. Our customers know we are there on a certain day every week unless there are torrential rains.

You guys that are talking about bagging taking so long.....what are you using for mowers a 21" murray. It takes a little longer but not that much. It is way quicker than double cutting.

nepatsfan
05-13-2011, 11:54 PM
We cut lawns like lawns should be cut. Shoot some pics of those dump sites, no video required. Last year's clippings still there? A 2mil home shouldn't have a clipping "dump site" anywhere on the property..

The two million dollar home has woods that are 2,000 feet from the house and hidden.....whats the difference.

We dump our grass at a farm that makes compost with it.

HS7885
05-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Well we run on a schedule. You guys that mow 8 lawns a week and pick and choose what days to do them on may have the ability to change the schedules around. We are mowing 40 lawns a day...I don't have the luxury of a 5 day cut. Our customers know we are there on a certain day every week unless there are torrential rains.

You guys that are talking about bagging taking so long.....what are you using for mowers a 21" murray. It takes a little longer but not that much. It is way quicker than double cutting.

Exactly. When u mow enough lawns u need to have a schedule. We could never have a 5 day cut. If we did we would need another crew.

It definitely takes longer to double cut than bag. I guess when u stop and mow a 10min lawn and have to empty the bag than yes bagging sucks. But when u mow a group of lawns and it takes u 3+hrs just to mow, bagging is way quicker. I couldnt imagine double cutting :laugh:

grassman88
05-14-2011, 08:37 PM
haha people getting heated lol if people wanna bag thats great i just hate when people say im the nieborhood kid cutting to make gas money cause i dont bag. i cut my real nice lawns at 4" theres only a couple spots i have to double cut (7 day cuts same day evey week) i dont do the entire lawn unless i have to and its twice as fast as bagging for me. mowed a new lawn today it was firtilized and then not cut for 2 week the front was real small back was big but not fertilized had to triple cut the front because i didnt have the bagger with me and it looked mint when i left and it only took 10 minutes to got over it the two mor times and they where very happy with it.

scagrider22
05-14-2011, 10:39 PM
haha people getting heated lol if people wanna bag thats great i just hate when people say im the nieborhood kid cutting to make gas money cause i dont bag. i cut my real nice lawns at 4" theres only a couple spots i have to double cut (7 day cuts same day evey week) i dont do the entire lawn unless i have to and its twice as fast as bagging for me. mowed a new lawn today it was firtilized and then not cut for 2 week the front was real small back was big but not fertilized had to triple cut the front because i didnt have the bagger with me and it looked mint when i left and it only took 10 minutes to got over it the two mor times and they where very happy with it.

What do you do when its to wet to cut it more than once? Cutting a lawn more than once or twice per visit usually just lays the grass over and it looks like crap. What kind of bagger do you have? I have ultra vacs and I do have to slow down in the spring but I have zero mess and no complaint about grass in the beds, cars or house's, in the summer I can cut at the same speed with or without the bagger and I can cut 3 city lots before I have to empty it, so for me It saves lots of time. Also Im not on the mowing crew very often so I never have to worry about employees blowing grass places it should not be.

grassman88
05-15-2011, 10:26 AM
i have never had a problem with it laying down my exmark with razer sharp blades can cut 12" down to 4" in wet grass in 1 pass(dosent happen often but new lawns that never get cut) first pass might be slow but not as slow if i had the bagger on and the next pass is at full speed. my blades are changed everyday in the spring hi lift blades and even side discharging i rarly get any grass in the beds. this week its going to rain all week i will try to bring the camera if i remember and snap a few shots. right now i have the older exmark bagger with the pony motor soon ill be getting the ultra vac for cleanups i hope

grassman88
05-15-2011, 10:28 AM
What do you do when its to wet to cut it more than once? Cutting a lawn more than once or twice per visit usually just lays the grass over and it looks like crap. .

and i got in the oppesit direction when i double cut

HS7885
05-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

dgw
05-15-2011, 10:59 AM
sometimes i will make the decision that catching will be my best bet

i use walkers when that is the case

i also catch with the walkers on some tree lawn properties , small resi's with very little places to shoot grass, and if there are leafs

i dont like catching grass but for me it makes sense sometimes and is not that big of a deal

nepatsfan
05-17-2011, 08:51 PM
baggers are fools,unless you charge a boatload. to keep emptying bags in your truck,driving around with extra weight,and dumping at the end of the day.if there's clumps,i use my backpack blower to break them up and whatever is left over(not much)i just put in my truck.saves time gas and money.the bottom line is always money without sacrificing quality

Whoever you share a brain with has had it long enough. Tell them it's your turn to use it for a while.

fivestarlandscapes
05-18-2011, 10:35 PM
The people not bagging in MA have junk properties or are kids. Come do my route without a walker or navigator, we will see who is the fool. Trying to justify not bagging to make yourself feel better about running junk machines? I would never blow clumps to break them up in a customers lawn, thats called being a hack. I always hear stories from new customers about "the last guy" The last guy did not bag and left a mess, the last guy did not vertically edge. I keep getting these customers, and I am usually their last lawn guy.

scagrider22
05-18-2011, 11:00 PM
The people not bagging in MA have junk properties or are kids. Come do my route without a walker or navigator, we will see who is the fool. Trying to justify not bagging to make yourself feel better about running junk machines? I would never blow clumps to break them up in a customers lawn, thats called being a hack. I always hear stories from new customers about "the last guy" The last guy did not bag and left a mess, the last guy did not vertically edge. I keep getting these customers, and I am usually their last lawn guy.

Well said, we do not use walkers because the stripes are horrid looking but we use Ultra Vacs and have great luck with them. To all the people who do not bag...Thanks for all the work! These guys who dont bag must be solo, if you have employees and nice contracts you will lose the contracts faster than you can get them around my area.

jslawncare22
05-19-2011, 12:05 AM
im glad to see im not the only one dealing with this bs. i have a deer 757
54" cut and a bagger its a P,I,T,A to use and when its wet i want to strangle some one every 5 min have to stop and clean out shute . what are you guys using to bag one them tow behind deals or a bagger

what would be better ? i have seen 20 different companies mow and not one of them use a bagger but i did see 1 truck with a tow behind on the trailer

grassman88
05-19-2011, 09:44 AM
im in MA and dont bag so i guess im a hack lol but i dont cut junk properties. i never have a problem with clumps and never have to break them up. what do you call a junk machine everything besides a walker or navigator? now i can see why everyone calls us masshole lol

grassman88
05-19-2011, 09:49 AM
i have seen 20 different companies mow and not one of them use a bagger

don't bag if it doesn't clump and you cant see the clippings on top there's no reason to its more beneficial to leave the clipping then to haul them away

Raymond S.
05-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Now do you mean you're the "last guy" they're referring to when they are talking to the "next guy", or you're the "last next guy?"... :)
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman88
05-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Now do you mean you're the "last guy" they're referring to when they are talking to the "next guy", or you're the "last next guy?"... :)
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh: i was thinkng the same thing lmao

fivestar i would realy like to see some pic of your lawns. i mean if there nice post up some pics alway like to see nice lawns ill get some of mine soon when i remembr to get new battiery for my camera. you have only started 3 threads and one is trying to sell your navigator cant have that many lawns if your trying to sell your mower

benjammin
05-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Grass clippings should be left on the lawn (clippings, not clumps) provide lots of nutrients and may even reduce fertilization requirements

thank you lol clippings have nothing to do with thatch the clippings decompose and act as a natural fertilizer(and the fertilizer that was put down is still in the grass blade why remove it from the lawn?).

That's all true for cool-season grasses.
Zoysia clippings do in fact contribute to thatch. Centipede, and St. Aug. are debatable but I bag all my centipede.

grassman88
05-19-2011, 11:38 AM
That's all true for cool-season grasses.
Zoysia clippings do in fact contribute to thatch. Centipede, and St. Aug. are debatable but I bag all my centipede.

yea i dont know alot about the warm season grasses ive lived my whole life in MA i have nothing against people that bag all there lawns i just find it ignorant that a few people on this thread are calling the people that dont bag unprofessional. i have asked all my customers when i first hired to do the lawn if they want it bagged or not i have one that i bag and its so small i use a 21" mower

benjammin
05-19-2011, 11:47 AM
i have asked all my custemers when i first hired to do the lawn if they want it bagged or not
That's the professional thing to do. If they say "bag it" and you want to try to educate them on the benifits of leaving the cuttings, great. If they still say "bag it" and you are dead set against it and think they won't be able to tell bagged vs. not bagged, cut half one way and half the other and see if there is a difference. If a customer wants it bagged and you think it takes too long, you aren't charging appropriately.
When I lived in Ohio, I was the neighborhood kid cutting grass for gas money with my 21" push mower and never bagged unless asked too. And with one condition, clippings were piled somewhere on the property or left in trash bags for the home owner to dispose. Now granted, I was actually pushing my mower from my house around the neighborhood. I couldn't fit a mower in my 1980 Plymouth Horizon let alone add in some bagged clippings!

jdo150
05-19-2011, 12:13 PM
I do both because for some lawns it is better for me to bag the lawn and faster due to not blowing clippings in beds and such and for others it is faster to side discharge. Most of my places that I bag there is a place to dump the clippings and if there is no place to dump clippings then I will charge extra for disposing of them. Personally I like the cut better when I bag the lawn, but that is my personal opinion do what you want but don't say its bad till you try it cus I would hate bagging when I only used accelerator baggers on my walk behind but with my bagger on my ztr I like bagging better.