PDA

View Full Version : grass left standing

bwhuntr40
05-08-2011, 12:58 AM
I have noticed lately that my mower has been leaving a lot of grass standing in its path causing me to spend a lot of time mowing areas twice. I have a Husqvarna RZ5424 which is giving me the most trouble. The dandelions seem to be the biggest problem. I also have a Scag advantage 36WB that performs much better over these areas leaving virtually nothing standing. I have sharpened the blades on my RZ54 twice already this season and not at all on the Scag. Any suggestions?

crocs27
05-08-2011, 01:01 AM
If you haven't already, make sure the underside of the deck is cleaned off. I've had countless things stuck in the mower and after i scrapped it off, it would cut much better

weeze
05-08-2011, 01:42 AM
those dandelions and some other weeds can be tough to cut...they tend to just bend over...make sure the blades are sharp and slow down..if you go too fast it will just go right over them and bend them over instead of cutting them

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Check the pitch of the deck might be to flat
Front of blade should be half inch lower then the back
Check RPM of the motor

topsites
05-08-2011, 02:15 AM
You want sharp blades, I put sharp blades on mine every time fuel goes in the tank.

Check and make sure every blade is on tight, and that none are upside down.
Also I'd check the belt and its tension, a loose or worn belt can do it some, too.

When cutting, make sure the blades are engaged and that the deck is down and out of the transport position.
Ground speed while mowing needs to be well below transport speed.

Merkava_4
05-08-2011, 03:27 AM
You want the blade sharp enough to catch and scrape your thumb nail - that's how you tell if a blade is sharp enough.

ALC-GregH
05-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Check RPM of the motor

1/2in is a lot. It's going to depend on the length of the blade.

Bumpmaster
05-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I have noticed lately that my mower has been leaving a lot of grass standing in its path causing me to spend a lot of time mowing areas twice. I have a Husqvarna RZ5424 which is giving me the most trouble. The dandelions seem to be the biggest problem. I also have a Scag advantage 36WB that performs much better over these areas leaving virtually nothing standing. I have sharpened the blades on my RZ54 twice already this season and not at all on the Scag. Any suggestions?

This seems to happen a lot this time of year. Wet grass, over grown grass, to fast of ground speed are some common factor's that will cause grass to be left uncut. Also how old the mower is. Mower decks do get worn out and do not cut as well as old decks. :waving:

STIHL GUY
05-08-2011, 09:42 AM
those dandelions and some other weeds can be tough to cut...they tend to just bend over...make sure the blades are sharp and slow down..if you go too fast it will just go right over them and bend them over instead of cutting them

exactly what i was gonna suggest. in the springtime when the grasss grows faster i get this problem too if i try to mow too fast

weeze
05-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Check RPM of the motor

yeah shoot for 1/4"...anywhere from 1/8"-1/2" is good though

LaLawnGuy
05-08-2011, 09:27 PM
1\2 is too much for me, adjusted to 1\4 and its great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-08-2011, 11:02 PM
1/2in is a lot. It's going to depend on the length of the blade.

This works on my Dc from 50'' to 72''
I found out over yrs to mow fast and get a good clean cut I have my mowers set with 1/2'' pitch thats cutting fescue blend lawns some Bluegrass

georgiagrass
05-09-2011, 01:28 AM
sharpen blades and slow down

Darryl G
05-09-2011, 09:21 AM
When cutting, make sure the blades are engaged and that the deck is down and out of the transport position.

Starting at square one are we? LOL

ALC-GregH
05-09-2011, 09:47 AM
This works on my Dc from 50'' to 72''
I found out over yrs to mow fast and get a good clean cut I have my mowers set with 1/2'' pitch thats cutting fescue blend lawns some Bluegrass

1/2 is good for a blade as long as the ones on a 60 and up. Get down to the smaller blades and a 1/4 will work best.

ALC-GregH
05-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Starting at square one are we? LOL

Considering the OP mentioned having to cut it twice tells me he already knows that the blades have to be engaged to cut the grass. TS just has nothing better to do then rack up his post count. He'll be "king of the hill" if he keeps posting useless crap. hahahaha