PDA

View Full Version : How do i get my gravely to cut like my exmark

1fast432
05-08-2011, 01:26 AM
Bought a new gravely 36 walkbehind and the cut doesn't compare to my exmark rider or my old 48 exmark walker.I picked up some new blades for my rider and compared them to the gravely blades,the exmarks are thinner and the cutting edge runs way closer to the center of the blade then the gravely.Do you think just switching to the exmark blades will make it cut better? THANKS!!!!!! PS when removing the blades on the gravely they use a thru bolt. Do you have to remove the pulleys just to change the blades?

ashgrove landscaping
05-08-2011, 01:38 AM
What?? Get an exmark I guess. No you don't remove the pulley to remove the blades.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-08-2011, 01:43 AM
buy a exmark

mowerknower
05-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Yep, get an exmark. There is a reason they cost more. You cannot beat the cut.

momstmg
05-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Sell the gravely
Posted via Mobile Device

MOHUSTLER
05-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Easy fix,

Step one :
drive gravley off a cliff.

Step Two :
Collect insurance money.

Step Three :
Buy new mower!!!!:)

BrunoT
05-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I have a Gravely and an Exmark. I prefer the Exmark in most conditions and relegate the Gravely to weed patches and tall grass where the mulch kit equipped Exmark can't do the job. It does a nice job on those, though.

I use Exmark blades on a 48" Gravely, they do seem to help some.

You pretty much have to go Exmark to get that cut I've found.

Popeye77
05-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Or

1. Drive it off retaining off retaining wall into ocean (or lake)

2.Blame it on Global Warming (or GB)

3. Collect Insurance money

4. Get new Exmark:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Peerless Lawn Care
06-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Mission impossible.

GMLC
06-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Exmark puts a lot of r&d into the deck to get one of the best cuts. Without that exmark deck you wont get the same cut.

ommegang
06-14-2011, 07:14 PM
What, no other MFG puts R&D money into researching how such an old and unsophisticated component such as a cutiing deck can be mastered??? How hard can it be? I think if one does research, it indicates that most top Mfg's are damn close now. I do agree though, my 1998 48" WB Exmark left a better cut than my 07' FerrisIS1500Z. But, Ferris has updated thier deck and, my research indicates it's on par with Exmark w/o the couple grand extra for the name. Scag as well but, with the extra couple grand. JMO

ommegang
06-14-2011, 07:27 PM
I doubt this is the "Bible" but, it's seems like a valid source.

http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/Commerical-Grade-Lawn-Mowers.html

Aaronnc
06-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Alrighty here guys, this is serious business. The kid wanted the cut of an Exmark, but ended up buying a Gravely. This is no laughing matter. We're here to help.

First and foremost, find a really good friend. (Not the one who talked you into buying the Gravely. That story is for another day.) Have said "friend" hit you over the head with at least a 16oz. or heavier hammer. I like the ball-peen Stanley's myself, pretty aerodynamic, and can get some good velocity behind them. They leave a perfect little indentation. In the case of no friends, write to one of the "JackAss" guys to execute said duties. They live for stuff like this. Call 911 and slam a case of cheap beer. (I like Pearl in a can, for said duties. Nothing like a case of Pearl and the hangover that follows, to remind you how not to make a crappy decision like this ever again. And if it doesn't remind you, hey it's beer.)

OK. Fast forward 6 months recovery time. Now what to do with the Gravely. You could always leave it in the middle of I-95 at 4am on a Tuesday night, and let the Gods have at it, but personally that could hurt someone, and I wouldn't want a van full of Tee-ballers on their way to a semi-final meet to pay for your decision. We'll get back to this.

Let's make this easy. Head to the nearest tattoo shop and get a "Exmark for Life" tat across your entire back. Not only will it remind you of past mistakes, but will educate and make future purchases that much easier to deal with.
Head to the nearest Marine Corps recruiting station and sign up for 4 years. Don't tell them you bought a Gravely expecting a Exmark cut, because they do have IQ requirements.

Fast forward 3 years and two tours in Afghanistan. Don't lose focus, remember what we're doing here. While strolling through downtown Khandahar, go AWOL and head to the nearest black market arms dealer. You've been in the Corps now for 3 years, so you should have some coin saved up. Just don't get drunk on Pearl anymore and buy another Gravely. Purchase a rocket launcher. I personally like the pre-1996 Iraq models, cause they don't have the ethanol problems and the newer gas caps. Your gonna have to take the long way home, cause customs frowns upon sneaking a bic lighter in the country, let alone something that could take out a Subway and half a strip mall. What coin is left over charter a Cessna and head down under for next step.

The Austrailian Merchant Marines sounds like a pretty good bet. One day your in Sydney scrapping barnacles, the next your pulling into Long Beach to unload a couple of thousand tons of Kangaroo dung. If the guys on the boat question what's in the bag, just tell them to mind their own business and show them your tattoo. Boats go thru customs too, so you'll have to jump overboard about a mile out and pray to the Gods that you can catch a ride in with a dolphin or something. Illegals do it all the time. Don't worry about it.

Once back home, make sweet love to your wife, and play ball with the kids for a couple of hours, tell them stories of eating sand for weeks while under sniper fire but don't lose focus. This has been a journey of epic proportions.

Finally, under a full moon during the winter solstice, blow up said Gravely in the middle of a ancient Indian pet cemetery. The Gods will smile down upon you.

Hopefully you invested some of your Marine Corp's coin into Toro stock during those 3 years. (Exmarks parent company.) If you did, you should have enough left over for a brand new Exmark and a case of Pearl. Hopefully lowballers haven't moved into the hood by then. Just undercut everyone by $20 and get some door hangers made. Just dodge the Marine Corps. (They'll be looking for you for going AWOL.)

Or you could just trade in the Gravely for an Exmark and chalk it up to lesson learned. But what would be the fun in that?

onlythebest
06-14-2011, 08:13 PM
you SNAPPED Aaronn....
made me laugh tho, thanks :-)

THEGOLDPRO
06-14-2011, 08:16 PM
lol...............

TuffWork
06-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Not sure if this really helps or not but you may look into investing in some Oregon blades. I bought some high lift blades for my toro 21" and it improved the cut quite a bit.

Snapper Jack
06-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Try siphoning gas out of an Exmark and mix it with Gravely gas:confused:
Try installing hi-lift blades,might help.

Aaronnc
06-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Tommorrow's lesson is on the out of work Nurse Practioner/part-time LCO who wanted a Scag but bought a Dixon.

kubotafan
06-14-2011, 10:01 PM
I doubt this is the "Bible" but, it's seems like a valid source.

http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/Commerical-Grade-Lawn-Mowers.html

I wish they would have had Kubota's in there too.

nobagger
06-14-2011, 10:10 PM
IDK, Our Gravely's cut very well. There could be a bunch of things going on. I guess we would need pics to compare.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
06-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Tommorrow's lesson is on the out of work Nurse Practioner/part-time LCO who wanted a Scag but bought a Dixon.

I don't think your gonna find too many out of work Nurse Practioners unless it's by choice that they don't want to work in that field.

Aaronnc
06-14-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't think your gonna find too many out of work Nurse Practioners unless it's by choice that they don't want to work in that field.

What if they were terminated due to sexting nudie pics to random twitter followers?

LibertyFarmLandscaping
06-15-2011, 05:05 AM
What if they were terminated due to sexting nudie pics to random twitter followers?

Well that is a very good point, I didn't think about that.......:)

MONINAMONEY
06-16-2011, 09:17 AM
make sure that the mower was set up at the dealer. Belt tension, engine rpm, deck tilt or pitch , right blades, air pressure etc. I've owned or operated a lot of name brands out there and it all boils down to proper set up and sharp blades.
With that said, I currently have a new compact pro 44" with the xfactor deck and the cut is the same or better than the exmarks that iv'e use.
I've used it with high lifts and now with the mulching kit and it still leaves a smooth clean cut no complaints. By the way I'm using Stens 304-104 fusion blades on mine to mulch.

If you checked everything and it still does not perform well try and trade in and up at the dealer. just remember to always Demo a unit before purchase.
One more thing, a crew around here has a 2011 32" and with a blade tip of 18600+ timed blades it cuts awesome. mainly Bermuda. good luck.

Bought a new gravely 36 walkbehind and the cut doesn't compare to my exmark rider or my old 48 exmark walker.I picked up some new blades for my rider and compared them to the gravely blades,the exmarks are thinner and the cutting edge runs way closer to the center of the blade then the gravely.Do you think just switching to the exmark blades will make it cut better? THANKS!!!!!! PS when removing the blades on the gravely they use a thru bolt. Do you have to remove the pulleys just to change the blades?

G780
06-16-2011, 09:34 AM
It's probaly been said but buy an Exmark. Everything has a cost

lifetree
10-05-2011, 12:44 AM
How do i get my gravely to cut like my exmark ?

Attach the Gravely deck to the Exmark power unit ... then you've got a GraveMark !!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

justanotherlawnguy
10-05-2011, 03:57 AM

My god this post is instant lawnsite classic!!! How to make a gravely cut like an exmark. The answer seems obvious to me!

I would have bought a used exmark over a new gravely..
Posted via Mobile Device

THIESSENS TLC
10-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Alrighty here guys, this is serious business. The kid wanted the cut of an Exmark, but ended up buying a Gravely. This is no laughing matter. We're here to help.

First and foremost, find a really good friend. (Not the one who talked you into buying the Gravely. That story is for another day.) Have said "friend" hit you over the head with at least a 16oz. or heavier hammer. I like the ball-peen Stanley's myself, pretty aerodynamic, and can get some good velocity behind them. They leave a perfect little indentation. In the case of no friends, write to one of the "JackAss" guys to execute said duties. They live for stuff like this. Call 911 and slam a case of cheap beer. (I like Pearl in a can, for said duties. Nothing like a case of Pearl and the hangover that follows, to remind you how not to make a crappy decision like this ever again. And if it doesn't remind you, hey it's beer.)

OK. Fast forward 6 months recovery time. Now what to do with the Gravely. You could always leave it in the middle of I-95 at 4am on a Tuesday night, and let the Gods have at it, but personally that could hurt someone, and I wouldn't want a van full of Tee-ballers on their way to a semi-final meet to pay for your decision. We'll get back to this.

Let's make this easy. Head to the nearest tattoo shop and get a "Exmark for Life" tat across your entire back. Not only will it remind you of past mistakes, but will educate and make future purchases that much easier to deal with.
Head to the nearest Marine Corps recruiting station and sign up for 4 years. Don't tell them you bought a Gravely expecting a Exmark cut, because they do have IQ requirements.

Fast forward 3 years and two tours in Afghanistan. Don't lose focus, remember what we're doing here. While strolling through downtown Khandahar, go AWOL and head to the nearest black market arms dealer. You've been in the Corps now for 3 years, so you should have some coin saved up. Just don't get drunk on Pearl anymore and buy another Gravely. Purchase a rocket launcher. I personally like the pre-1996 Iraq models, cause they don't have the ethanol problems and the newer gas caps. Your gonna have to take the long way home, cause customs frowns upon sneaking a bic lighter in the country, let alone something that could take out a Subway and half a strip mall. What coin is left over charter a Cessna and head down under for next step.

The Austrailian Merchant Marines sounds like a pretty good bet. One day your in Sydney scrapping barnacles, the next your pulling into Long Beach to unload a couple of thousand tons of Kangaroo dung. If the guys on the boat question what's in the bag, just tell them to mind their own business and show them your tattoo. Boats go thru customs too, so you'll have to jump overboard about a mile out and pray to the Gods that you can catch a ride in with a dolphin or something. Illegals do it all the time. Don't worry about it.

Once back home, make sweet love to your wife, and play ball with the kids for a couple of hours, tell them stories of eating sand for weeks while under sniper fire but don't lose focus. This has been a journey of epic proportions.

Finally, under a full moon during the winter solstice, blow up said Gravely in the middle of a ancient Indian pet cemetery. The Gods will smile down upon you.

Hopefully you invested some of your Marine Corp's coin into Toro stock during those 3 years. (Exmarks parent company.) If you did, you should have enough left over for a brand new Exmark and a case of Pearl. Hopefully lowballers haven't moved into the hood by then. Just undercut everyone by $20 and get some door hangers made. Just dodge the Marine Corps. (They'll be looking for you for going AWOL.)

Or you could just trade in the Gravely for an Exmark and chalk it up to lesson learned. But what would be the fun in that?

Holy Shite that was good! im gona have to print this one! :laugh:

HLM HustlerZ
10-05-2011, 04:53 AM
And I'd never buy a mower from a company with the name 'Gravely' just as simple as that. Always found that amusing, put it in the Grave. HA

Buy a Exmark, Scag, or Hustler

Groomer
10-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Try painting it red.

Darryl G
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
While we're on the subject, how do I get my Troy-Bilt backpack blower to blow as hard as a Stihl BR600?

StihlMechanic
10-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I concur, buy an exmark, pretty simple.

StihlMechanic
10-05-2011, 05:19 PM
While we're on the subject, how do I get my Troy-Bilt backpack blower to blow as hard as a Stihl BR600?

Thats simple, paint it orange.