PDA

View Full Version : New (better) Mulching Blades for the Quick 36

jweiner
05-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has received the new and supposedly better mulching blades for their Quick 36? I received mine at the end of last season and plan on trying them out soon. They are all black and seem to not be all that sharp. Any comments would be appreciated. Joel

Exact Rototilling
05-08-2011, 10:13 AM
I have the old ones for mine and unless the design has changed don't bother trying them with the mulch plate installed ...very poor cut on grass....at least I'm my experience. In dry conditions the standard blades give a nice cut with the mulch plate installed. I only use my gators for breaking up dry leaves or breaking up aeration cores.

I will be posting a complete BOP blade cross reference blade review thread for the 32, 36 & 44 when I get a chance.

Can you take some pics of the new ones? All angles etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

jweiner
05-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I have the old ones for mine and unless the design has changed don't bother trying them with the mulch plate installed ...very poor cut on grass....at least I'm my experience. In dry conditions the standard blades give a nice cut with the mulch plate installed. I only use my gators for breaking up dry leaves or breaking up aeration cores.

I will be posting a complete BOP blade cross reference blade review thread for the 32, 36 & 44 when I get a chance.

Can you take some pics of the new ones? All angles etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

jweiner
05-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Sorry but I can not post any pics since between my first post and this post, I put on the new blades and mowed with them. They seem to have more of an angled "wing" to presumably help suspend the clippings in the deck longer for better mulching. They indeed did seem to work better than the original blades. It was very dry out today (in Milwaukee, WI) and I did notice a bunch of very small grass particles coming out from under the deck and just flying around in the air. By the time I was done mowing, I needed a shower as I was covered in grass. I'm not sure if this is considered normal, but I am just happy that I didn't have any of those annoying "mulch stripes" that I used to get with the original blades. Joel

chuacro
05-08-2011, 11:48 PM
I kept waiting for the new blades for a 32 dually. Got tired of waiting and sold it.

Exact Rototilling
05-09-2011, 01:04 AM
I kept waiting for the new blades for a 32 dually. Got tired of waiting and sold it.Oregon blade
# 91-313 are a noticeable improvement over standard 32 blades. I'm not putting the standard blades back on until June or July. Major clog fest. If you own a Q32 you need the 91-313 blades. Frankly if I didn't have the 91-313 blades I'd be pretty irked.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
05-09-2011, 01:17 AM
There seems to be a fuzzy factor on what blades are which and what on the BOP mowers. Will try post pics to clear this up at some point.
Posted via Mobile Device

chuacro
05-09-2011, 01:33 AM
I appreciate your response. Gary told me he would send the new blades free of charge for my 32 dually when available. Got tired of waiting.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-09-2011, 09:28 AM
i have run the improved blades on my quick ninja this spring. mowing some nice, juicy spring growth (but not wet conditions). you get noticably more blowout from the front of the deck. the machine also roars more. clogging is improved some, but i was still surprised to see as much buildup as i did under the deck. same nice finished cut as usual. jury is still out for me on the benefits of these blades.

ALC-GregH
05-09-2011, 10:00 PM
i have run the improved blades on my quick ninja this spring. mowing some nice, juicy spring growth (but not wet conditions). you get noticably more blowout from the front of the deck. the machine also roars more. clogging is improved some, but i was still surprised to see as much buildup as i did under the deck. same nice finished cut as usual. jury is still out for me on the benefits of these blades.

I noticed right away that it discharged farther with the updated blades vs the standard blades.

Pistol
05-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I purchased a 36" ninja 2 yrs ago as my first mower - I have never used another commercial mower (I'm a newbie). It came with the standard blades and gators. I like to mulch whenever I can - probably 85% of the time. I hate the gators - too many stragglers left. I got the new high lift blades last fall - you could hear the vacuum improvement. The cut quality may have improved some, but build-up under the deck did not improve. This spring I have been trying different combinations of blades, mulching and not mulching. The only thing so far - gator blades still suck. I hate to discharge, but with long wet grass - it may be the only way to cut. I put the high lifts back on today -we'll see.

I'm starting to look at 48" WB mowers - any suggestions - i love to mulch!!!!!

chafemann
05-17-2011, 04:18 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has received the new and supposedly better mulching blades for their Quick 36? I received mine at the end of last season and plan on trying them out soon. They are all black and seem to not be all that sharp. Any comments would be appreciated. Joel

Do you still have your quick 36 in Milwaukee? hafes_craig@hotmail.com

GunnPropertyServices
08-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Any one know the oregon Part # for the quick 36 blades ???

Florida Gardener
08-15-2011, 02:34 PM
I purchased a 36" ninja 2 yrs ago as my first mower - I have never used another commercial mower (I'm a newbie). It came with the standard blades and gators. I like to mulch whenever I can - probably 85% of the time. I hate the gators - too many stragglers left. I got the new high lift blades last fall - you could hear the vacuum improvement. The cut quality may have improved some, but build-up under the deck did not improve. This spring I have been trying different combinations of blades, mulching and not mulching. The only thing so far - gator blades still suck. I hate to discharge, but with long wet grass - it may be the only way to cut. I put the high lifts back on today -we'll see.

I'm starting to look at 48" WB mowers - any suggestions - i love to mulch!!!!!
If you are using a mulch kit, the gators aren't the right blade to run. They are meant for discharging and they do an excellent job at that. I just took off my mulch kit on my stander for the next 2 months bc we are getting a lot of rain and the grass is too tall. I pit my gators back on with my block off plate and it has done a good job. I still have to double cut, but that is how it goes here in the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
08-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Ok...here are the 3 different blades I have for my Q36.

If BOP is shipping a higher lift gator than these now someone please let me know?

Ok.... any difference on any of these blades BOP is currently shipping also let me know.
:waving:

cornfieldcraig
08-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Ok...here are the 3 different blades I have for my Q36.

Thanks for the photos. It's clear that one is a Gator. Do you know what the other two are?

Kingfish
08-18-2011, 05:50 PM
you should look into the new gator g6.

cornfieldcraig
08-18-2011, 06:03 PM
you should look into the new gator g6.

Is there a G6 blade that fits the Quick 36? I can't see one in the Oregon catalog.

Kingfish
08-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Is there a G6 blade that fits the Quick 36? I can't see one in the Oregon catalog.

I dont know.

larryinalabama
08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
The last time I got blades for my 44 duelley they shiped Oregon blades, the cutting edge is about 2x as previous blades. The do cut silghtly better. Funny thing is 2 blades actuallly contact eachother, drove me crazy figuring out that noise.

ALC-GregH
08-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the photos. It's clear that one is a Gator. Do you know what the other two are?

One is the original blade for the 36 that has less angle on the end. The other is the new blade with more angle on it.

cornfieldcraig
08-18-2011, 11:08 PM
One is the original blade for the 36 that has less angle on the end. The other is the new blade with more angle on it.

The one that looks to have the steepest angle is the one in the middle of the upper left photo and has semi-circular notches. That's the new blade? When I spoke to BOP about a month ago, I was told the new high lift blade is the "standard" now. If so, then the photo on their website (shown below) looks to be the old style. Have I got this straight? I'd like to try the new blades, but I want to be certain I don't already have them on my 2010 model. Mine look like the image below.

http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/ProductImages/10043-S_1.jpg

Exact Rototilling
08-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes....currently OREGON doesn't sell any blades for the Quick 36. It's a BOP only item. All those blades are BOP blades. Just wondering if current ones are different.

Re: Yes 5/8" hole blade that are 15.25" will work on the Q44 such as the 91-369. Those work pretty well on the Q44 deck. And yes they need to be ground down so they don't ding or strike.

The QUICKIE 32 has at least 8 different blades that can be run with zero modification. The champion blade to have is the 99-127 but there are several versions floating around that have more lift....other have less lift. The highest lift 99-127 absolutely make the Q32 THE best wet damp grass mower of all current BOP mowers. And yes OREGON makes a G6 that works well on the 32 deck. No current G6 blades for 44 or 36....yet. I hope that changes.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
08-19-2011, 10:41 AM
The one that looks to have the steepest angle is the one in the middle of the upper left photo and has semi-circular notches. That's the new blade? When I spoke to BOP about a month ago, I was told the new high lift blade is the "standard" now. If so, then the photo on their website (shown below) looks to be the old style. Have I got this straight? I'd like to try the new blades, but I want to be certain I don't already have them on my 2010 model. Mine look like the image below.

http://betteroutdoorproducts.com/ProductImages/10043-S_1.jpg

Those are the old blades. The new ones have the cut out near the bolt hole like you mentioned and have a larger sail with steeper pitch. The picture Exact posted would be as follows, first blade is the old original, second blade is the new high lift and the third blade is the Gator mulch blade.

cornfieldcraig
08-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Those are the old blades. The new ones have the cut out near the bolt hole like you mentioned and have a larger sail with steeper pitch. The picture Exact posted would be as follows, first blade is the old original, second blade is the new high lift and the third blade is the Gator mulch blade.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Too bad BOP hasn't updated their website to reflect the change. I just ordered a set of the new blades. Here's hoping they reduce the buildup of clippings.

The last month has been unusually wet here in northern Illinois. The grass is growing like it's springtime. I've been spending too much time picking up flattened fist-size clumps that drop from the deck. The other problem is that when I side discharge, when the clumps drop from the deck and hit the blades, it shoots chunks out of the chute for a very long distance. It can make a mess.

Kingfish
08-19-2011, 04:07 PM
The last month has been unusually wet here in northern Illinois. The grass is growing like it's springtime. I've been spending too much time picking up flattened fist-size clumps that drop from the deck. The other problem is that when I side discharge, when the clumps drop from the deck and hit the blades, it shoots chunks out of the chute for a very long distance. It can make a mess.

Try cutting with a lower rpm.see what that does.

ALC-GregH
08-19-2011, 05:13 PM
It's hard to find a mower of any kind that cuts great in wet damp conditions without leaving clumps here and there. Even my Scag after 600hrs of wear on the deck (paint gone and down to bare metal) will clog up and start tossing out clumps here and there. The newer blades will help some but it's not going to be a complete fix for the clumping problem. They do make a difference all around though and when the grass is dry (no dew or rain water) they work way better then the originals.

coopmaster
08-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I can't imagine any conditions that would be ideal for mulching with a BOP Quick 36. I've owned a Quick 36 Ninja with Kawa 16hp for 3 years now. I've tried the mulch blades and the restrictive mulch plate many times with less than positive results. Huge clumps, clogged up deck and poor quality cut.
I not bashing BOP because I've never tried other WB but would assume mulching is not easily done by any brand of mower. I side discharge 99% of the time and bag only occasionally.