PDA

View Full Version : Tough class!!

LAWnENFORCER
10-07-2002, 12:05 AM
I am currently taking a 40 hr class to get my irrigation license. Wow, I had no idea that it would be this tough and complicated. I find it very interesting and can't seem to put the book down. I also learned that the TNRCC state exam averages about 7 to 8 hrs.

Wish me luck. (I'll need it)

Kevin

rkbrown
10-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Kevin:

I'm right behind you !!! I take my class from Oct 18 - 21. I'll take the TNRCC exam Nov. 22. Best of luck to you !!! :)

LAWnENFORCER
10-07-2002, 02:47 PM
If everything goes as planned, I'll probably be in the same exam as you. I am hearing rumors that the most exam's this year are full. Lets hope not.

Kevin

Mow&Snow
10-09-2002, 06:39 PM
Irrigation license???? What do ya need dat fer?

One day a customer seys to me, "Boy I sure would like an sprikler in the ground to water my grass."

So I seys back to 'im "Well Duke, how hard can it Bee?"

75 heads and 14 zones later, that lawn sure was wet....

Oh, and sure e'nouf, it wernt dat hard.

Mow&Snow
10-09-2002, 06:42 PM
My point is, here in Maine, ya you only need one license: the one u use to drive.

State don't care if ya'll know how to do it or not. If you can sell the job, you must be qualified...

DanaMac
10-09-2002, 09:27 PM
I hope you don't agree with that concept. I wish Colorado would implement a licensing process for irrigation. Then it would drive out some of the jackasses who THINK they know what they are doing but don't. I am constantly fixing systems that Joe Blow put in using a shovel, his station wagon and a cooler of beer. Sure it gives me work but I would rather the homeowner get a good system without being pissed at all irrigation contractors.

Went to one home today because the owner was never shown how to drain it. It was put in this spring. There are NO drains between the shut off and the backflow preventer, and no drain at the manifold. This thing can and will freeze and crack. I am fixing it tomorrow.

I could give many examples of this but won't right now. My point is there needs to be some kind of standard so the homeowner doesn't get screwed. Practically every other contrctor need a license in doing any trade on a house - plumbing, electrical, heating, etc. Some of it is due to safety standards. But it also gets the job done correctly.

LAWnENFORCER
10-09-2002, 11:12 PM
I used to think putting in a sprinkler system was digging some trench and throwing down some pipe. Guess what, I WAS WRONG. I now understand the importance of being able to get the hydraulics of a system. I have also learned(and still am) that being able to design a system PROPERLY will save you and the customer major headaches in the future.

Texas is very strict on its licensing of irrigators and they should be. This has raised the bar on irrigation in TX and has almost elimated the "fly by night" type. I look foward to learning and I am sure I will be asking many questions real soon.

Thanks

Kevin

j9sheldon
10-20-2002, 10:28 AM
I think u should have to get an Irrigation liscense regardless of the state u live in. I just completed my 40 hour coarse last weekend and learned 100x more than these fly by night acts ever will. I wish Texas would start cracking down on these non official irrigators. Fine the crap out of them and force them to take the test or lose there business(well I guess thats a little extreme). The north east is pretty wet so thats the reason no liscense is needed. Texans just trying to help our state out for the future by requiring a liscense for conservation purposes. Those of u who haven't taken it, sacrifice 2 weekends and take it it is well worth it. I am scheduled to take the San Antonio test Dec 13 and yes its an 8 hour test. Starting next year they won't be doing the design portion, but rumor has it that the test gets harder after that so get it done know.

Jody

PS all of u texas fly by night acts, keep going, I will be making tons of your repairs that need to be done.