PDA

View Full Version : New 2011 Hustler Super Z

swim
05-08-2011, 11:17 AM
I was going to PM a few of the guys that have been using the new 2011 Hustler Super Z for awhile, but thought I might get more info in a new thread.
I am about to buy a new mower this week I have been running Super Z,s for over 4000 hours and was wondering how everyone is doing with theirs. How is the large engine doing in tall thick grass and how is the fuel 37 hp or 31hp? My 2 current Super Zs have 27hp Kohlers but sometimes need a little more power. I demoed a scag turf tiger last week with the Briggs 35, and I liked it allot, will be demoing a Super Z sometime this week. Any experience with the older Super Z on hills compared to the 2011, does the new one hold hill as good? How much did yours cost? Any information would be great.
Thanks swim

mag360
05-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I can comment on a couple points. Just dropped off the 2010 super z to get a new throttle cable and picked up a demo 2011 super 31kawi 60 inch deck. This is the exact same combination as the 2010.

The deck on the new one is superior in almost every way to the xr7 deck. Discharge in thick, wet grass is nearly flawless. Traction is as good or better - although it will lift the front more easily. The new frame is very stiff and the ride suffers drastically with the no-flat front tires and standard seat without suspension. The new one is sucking down fuel compared to the older one and feels less powerful but this motor has only about 10 hours on it so that should improve over time. This deck is very, very similar in cut quality and discharge to the scag velocity deck - I do have an '07 turf tiger to compare.

MJB
05-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I can comment on a couple points. Just dropped off the 2010 super z to get a new throttle cable and picked up a demo 2011 super 31kawi 60 inch deck. This is the exact same combination as the 2010.

The deck on the new one is superior in almost every way to the xr7 deck. Discharge in thick, wet grass is nearly flawless. Traction is as good or better - although it will lift the front more easily. The new frame is very stiff and the ride suffers drastically with the no-flat front tires and standard seat without suspension. The new one is sucking down fuel compared to the older one and feels less powerful but this motor has only about 10 hours on it so that should improve over time. This deck is very, very similar in cut quality and discharge to the scag velocity deck - I do have an '07 turf tiger to compare.

What engine was on your old Super Z that burns less fuel? My 31 Kawi burns about 1.5 gph on a 61" deck.

So if it had the suspension seat and flex forks would you consider it as good or better than your TT? I would get rid of the flat free tires I hate them.

Kreios
05-08-2011, 02:44 PM
In march I bought a new super z 66" cut and with a 37 Kawasaki on it. The cut is very clean. It mows through thick and wet grasswith no problem and seems to have alot more vacuum than my exmarks. All the rain that we have had this past month I haven't even had issues with clumping. With the suspension seat and the flex forks the ride is very smooth. I got almost 100hrs on right now and it's using 2gal. An hour in gas. I paid $10600 and that included flex forks and a hitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tall Rider
05-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I paid $10600 and that included flex forks and a hitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow your dealer basically gave you that mower, good buy

Kreios
05-08-2011, 05:54 PM
I have always bought my trimmers and blowers from him and he has wanted me to buy a mower from him for ever since I got in the business but I never heard anything good about the xr7 deck so wouldn't. I tried this new model and was very pleased and the warranty is hard to bet anywhere. Everything on this machine is beef up is like a freaking tank. Come to tn I could get him to cut you a deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

ProStreetCamaro
05-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Wow your dealer basically gave you that mower, good buy

It is a sad day when somebody says $10,600 for a simple mower is a good deal.

weeze
05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
it is a good deal for that particular mower lol

williams lcm
05-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Nice machine but I dont like how the grease fittings are below deck. They need a fuel guage. Don't like the clear side to see if you have fuel. Machine seems to sit higher than old Z. I do like the double capture anti-scalp wheels.

DCT
05-08-2011, 09:26 PM
How is the 2011 super z 60" with 31hp on hills? Anyone have a bagger on one of them? interested in power on hills with bagger.
Thanks

Kreios
05-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't mind where the grease fittings are. I just grease them when I change the blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

AllAmericanlawn
05-08-2011, 10:44 PM
I would put my 2010 Yazoo Kees Max3 60" 29 hp kaw against it anyday. And i only paid $8k plus tax.

Imow4u2
05-08-2011, 10:48 PM
I would put my 2010 Yazoo Kees Max3 60" 29 hp kaw against it anyday. And i only paid $8k plus tax.

That's good brother, glad you saved some dough.. Ride, Productivity and re-sale won't compare to a super Z.. To each his own..:walking:

Kreios
05-08-2011, 10:49 PM
I have a 2009 exmark 60" with a 29 Kawasaki and it isn't even in the same ballpark as the hustler so I doubt your yazoo is either. Demo one and you'll understand.
Posted via Mobile Device

AllAmericanlawn
05-08-2011, 11:06 PM
I have demoed the Hustlers and the new Exmarks. Have you demoed the Yazoo? I have always mowed with Exmarks. Still do with walk behinds (TT). I m not saying the Yazoo is superior in every way. Although i think it is far superior than the new Lazers. Which i wasnt impressed with, especially for the price. You are right, To each his own. I do think that $10,600 is a really good price on the Hustler though. They are good machines. The Yazoo to me is the best value out there. $8k! C'mon, why do i care about resale. So its worth 1k less when i sale it with 2k hours on it.

MJB
05-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I have a 2009 exmark 60" with a 29 Kawasaki and it isn't even in the same ballpark as the hustler so I doubt your yazoo is either. Demo one and you'll understand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Letss not jump the gun and nominate Hustler just yet. I waited 5 yrs for Hustler to come out with the fix for all the problems with the 2006 Super Z. If you owned the 2006 you would not make that statement nearly as bold. My Exmarks outperformed my Hustler in every catagory except comfort, Hustler wins the comfort catagory. So now it appears to have made the changes I couldn't get finally, but I lost a lot of money for thinking Hustler was the best machine out there. I'll never make a claim like that again.

swim
05-08-2011, 11:29 PM
I have always bought my trimmers and blowers from him and he has wanted me to buy a mower from him for ever since I got in the business but I never heard anything good about the xr7 deck so wouldn't. I tried this new model and was very pleased and the warranty is hard to bet anywhere. Everything on this machine is beef up is like a freaking tank. Come to tn I could get him to cut you a deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

It seems like the warranty will be hard to beat. That is one reason that I am not to worried about it being an all new model.

swim
05-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Nice machine but I dont like how the grease fittings are below deck. They need a fuel guage. Don't like the clear side to see if you have fuel. Machine seems to sit higher than old Z. I do like the double capture anti-scalp wheels.

On my current Super Z,s you only need to grease the spindles every 500 hours. They are sealed. I have many thousands of hours on these and only needed to replace 2 or 3 bearings. They are less than $30 if you catch it before the housing gets damaged.

I like the sight window for checking the fuel as well.

johndeeretech09
05-08-2011, 11:38 PM
i wouldnt bother with any of them. get a john deere. the z950 with the 31hp kawasaki and the 7iron pro deck will out do any mower out there. build quality is so much better.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-08-2011, 11:43 PM
I price a Hustler last week and I got a Quote of 9,900 with easy ride seat and the forks
Told the dealer like demo it first so we setting a time up use on a school complex I do
So this time next weekend I should know mor if it will keep up with my DC Im looking for best ride comfort So far the best out there is a Top of the line DC That what keeps me buying Dixie Choppers

MJB
05-08-2011, 11:54 PM
i wouldnt bother with any of them. get a john deere. the z950 with the 31hp kawasaki and the 7iron pro deck will out do any mower out there. build quality is so much better.

I'll take one if I could get a southern price of $9500. How much did you pay for yours. I priced them last year I can't remember exactly but I'm thinking 13000 or more.

swim
05-09-2011, 07:26 AM
I'll take one if I could get a southern price of $9500. How much did you pay for yours. I priced them last year I can't remember exactly but I'm thinking 13000 or more.

The price has went up since I bought my last one. I can get the turf tiger for $9300+tax. I am trying to justify the price in my head with the warranty.

Just reread your post and I think you were talking about the John Deere, but it is true for the Hustler as well.

mag360
05-09-2011, 12:44 PM
What engine was on your old Super Z that burns less fuel? My 31 Kawi burns about 1.5 gph on a 61" deck.

So if it had the suspension seat and flex forks would you consider it as good or better than your TT? I would get rid of the flat free tires I hate them.

Old super has the 31 kawi as well and burns less fuel, I assume, because the new one isn't broken in yet. Or maybe the new hydro system draws more power and burns more fuel. Suspension seat needed for sure - the standard seat hits you right in the kidneys the whole time you are on it. I guess the flex forks with the no-flats might even out but I worry about dipping the deck while mowing with those things... Traction and ride are better on both hustlers than on the TT.

swim
05-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Old super has the 31 kawi as well and burns less fuel, I assume, because the new one isn't broken in yet. Or maybe the new hydro system draws more power and burns more fuel. Suspension seat needed for sure - the standard seat hits you right in the kidneys the whole time you are on it. I guess the flex forks with the no-flats might even out but I worry about dipping the deck while mowing with those things... Traction and ride are better on both hustlers than on the TT.

I will be picking up the 2011 Super Z tomorrow for a demo. What engine does your turf tiger have on it? Which do you think leave a better cut between the tt and the 2011 super z? Also does one help you get done any faster than the other tt or 2011 super z? Sorry for all the questions, but you own one of my top 2 picks and are demoing the other where you can see them side by side. Almost 100% sure I will be buying one or the other this week. Thanks for all your help swim

mag360
05-10-2011, 10:18 AM
No problem,
Turf Tiger has the 27hp kohler so engine comparison is not something I can really comment on. The cut is hard to differentiate between the two but I would give the edge to the scag deck on a couple design points. The scag deck has an angled discharge baffle toward the rear of the outer blade that discourages clippings from recycling around the outer chamber and should prevent clumping and gratuitous power draw in thick or wet grass. Also, the front lip of the scag's deck is adjustable and flat (the hustlers is fixed and curls in toward the back of the deck and seems to build up clippings pretty quickly). These little differences keep the velocity deck much cleaner underneath in thick, wet grass and make me favor it over the hustler deck.

The hustler is certainly faster, though, and hydro feel is pretty good with an awesome warranty. Both need the suspension seat and the 29hp and up tigers have them standard. It is an optional upgrade, I think, on the super z. I would prefer the 35hp vanguard motor on a scag to the 31 or 37 kawi on a hustler for fuel usage but prefer the shorter frame on the hustler for traction and maneuverability. Tough call but good luck with it!

stevesmowing
05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
I have a 2011 Super Z (31 hp) as well as a 2010 Super Z (EFI) both were bought brand new this year. The 31hp burns about 1.66-1.75 gph. The 28 EFI burns around 1.25-1.33 gallons per hour. With that being said the EFI saves about 1/3 of a gallon per hour.

The deck on the 2011 is AWESOME!!! It can get the grass out of the desk quick! It throws the grass out real even. I cut wet grass side by side with the two machines. When using the XR7 deck on the 2010 the entire lawn had to be blown off. The VX4 (2011) needed no blowing. The quality of cut on the VX4 is top notch as well. Even with long think grass It cuts perfectly the fist time..

I will be putting on the flex forks this week so I will see how that changes the ride. The ride with the suspension seat it not bad at all as is. I'll see if the flex forks let me keep my speed up on rougher grounds.

It seems to climb hills better than the XR7 machines. At first I thought the machine would be underpowered because without the blades running when you push into the sticks hard the RPM's drop way down. However after using the machine it doesn't seem to lack power at all.

When I buy new mowers I always pull the clutches off first before use and lube them up well with anti-seize. When I pulled off the cluth on the 2011 I was happy to see they had already done this.

Bottom line...

cuts great, rides great, discharges great, no bac-vac available though :(

Any questions? Let me know.

beaver29
05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I have a 2011 Super Z (31 hp) as well as a 2010 Super Z (EFI) both were bought brand new this year. The 31hp burns about 1.66-1.75 gph. The 28 EFI burns around 1.25-1.33 gallons per hour. With that being said the EFI saves about 1/3 of a gallon per hour.

The deck on the 2011 is AWESOME!!! It can get the grass out of the desk quick! It throws the grass out real even. I cut wet grass side by side with the two machines. When using the XR7 deck on the 2010 the entire lawn had to be blown off. The VX4 (2011) needed no blowing. The quality of cut on the VX4 is top notch as well. Even with long think grass It cuts perfectly the fist time..

I will be putting on the flex forks this week so I will see how that changes the ride. The ride with the suspension seat it not bad at all as is. I'll see if the flex forks let me keep my speed up on rougher grounds.

It seems to climb hills better than the XR7 machines. At first I thought the machine would be underpowered because without the blades running when you push into the sticks hard the RPM's drop way down. However after using the machine it doesn't seem to lack power at all.

When I buy new mowers I always pull the clutches off first before use and lube them up well with anti-seize. When I pulled off the cluth on the 2011 I was happy to see they had already done this.

Bottom line...

cuts great, rides great, discharges great, no bac-vac available though :(

Any questions? Let me know.

I replaced my 2009 31/60 Super Z with a 2011 31/60 Super Z. I find that the new mower scalps more often than my old mower did. My yards are all pretty rough but I never noticed the scalping as much with the 09 SZ. Does your VX4 scalp Steve? Besides that the VX4 does finish and cut wet grass better than the XR7.

MJB
05-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I replaced my 2009 31/60 Super Z with a 2011 31/60 Super Z. I find that the new mower scalps more often than my old mower did. My yards are all pretty rough but I never noticed the scalping as much with the 09 SZ. Does your VX4 scalp Steve? Besides that the VX4 does finish and cut wet grass better than the XR7.

You could put a stripe roller on it they work great as scalp roller too. I had one on my 66" xr7 and never scalped. Anyway enjoy your new machine.

swim
05-10-2011, 11:14 PM
It has been a very long day today 7am to 8pm. but I will give a little update, with a full review when time permits. I picked up the 2011 super z today around lunch time. I did get to cut 3 lawns with it before dark, the first 2 are every 14 day lawns and the third had not been cut in 4 weeks. The first 2 went very well, but where the larger engine and new deck shined was on the 4 week lawn. I did not have to double cut any of it and I cut 90% of it at my regular cutting speed. It looks like it may come down to dealer support for the final decision. They are close in almost every aspect. I will get to put a few more hours on it in the morning before I have to return it to the dealership.

KFLAWN
05-11-2011, 01:17 AM
LoL at the guy with the yahooo keys. What do you want to have a lawn mowing competition bro?

LibertyFarmLandscaping
05-11-2011, 02:45 AM
It has been a very long day today 7am to 8pm. but I will give a little update, with a full review when time permits. I picked up the 2011 super z today around lunch time. I did get to cut 3 lawns with it before dark, the first 2 are every 14 day lawns and the third had not been cut in 4 weeks. The first 2 went very well, but where the larger engine and new deck shined was on the 4 week lawn. I did not have to double cut any of it and I cut 90% of it at my regular cutting speed. It looks like it may come down to dealer support for the final decision. They are close in almost every aspect. I will get to put a few more hours on it in the morning before I have to return it to the dealership.

The Turf Tiger is a proven machine with years of success. I currently have 3 of them with the 35hp Vanguard. Hours range from 7-900. I usually trade machines in the 1800 to 2000 hr range.

I have been using Scags since 2003. I have had minimal issues, and this is with employees on them. Until people have thousands of hours on the new Super Z you really can't make a valid comparison. A good warranty is of no value if a machine stays in the shop all the time.

I have a great Hustler dealer who is actually closer to me than the Scag dealer. However, with the old Super Z being a dud I won't even bother demoing the new Super Z until it has been proven over time. If the price was substantially cheaper it might be something to consider.

Just something to think about.

stevesmowing
05-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I have had great luck with all of my super z's even the old ones. I haven't had any increases scalping issues with the VX4 over the XR7. I did notice when I got my first XR7 I had more scapling than with the pre XR7 super Z's. However I did order the rear anti scalp wheels for the deck on my 2011 VX4. They should be in soon I hope.

MGV
05-12-2011, 02:40 AM
I bought my first Hustler when they came out with the xr-7 deck. While the cut was a improvement over my toro's deck it was by far not what they were claiming in the ads. Also I don't like the sealed bearings, I guess I'm old fashion and I like to be able to grease the spindle bearings. My right side hydro pump went just after warranty was up. So a hydro pump and wheel motor was over $1000 from the dealer. Throttle cable going now and also 1 cylinder stops firing for a little on almost every lawn. So needless to say that when I pay top dollar for a machine I expect a top quality machine. I don't think I have that with the Hustler. I just purchased a Scag 60" turf tiger, 27 hp kohler, suspension seat. I must say the velocity plus deck is amazing ! no clumping, no stringers, throws tall wet grass. Still have to double cut some lawns but with the hustler I had to double cut all lawns and blow some of them. i think until the end of May Scag has a promo on most mowers. I paid $9270 for mine. Don't get me wrong the Hustler is a good machine. But I know the Scag will out cut it, and I'll just have to see if it's more reliable.

JoeDejanero
05-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I bought a 2011 Hustler Super Z this year after using exmarks. The ride is much, much better! The speed is better too. The problem I'm having is that the grass is clumping up when it shoots out of the deck. I have been cutting lawns 3 and 4 times and it doesn't seem to help. I am going to try gator blades and see if this helps. Does anybody have any suggestions?