PDA

View Full Version : Surfactant effect on seeding

TopNotchMowing
05-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm thinking about fall renovations. I'd like to aerate, slit seed with a coated seed, topdress with NP 4-4-2, and then water heavily with a surfactant to keep water in the soil. I've never tried this method and am in the process of reading through the articles that come up on Google. Any advice would be great. Most of our customers currently don't have irrigation systems and I'm thinking of an options to reduce watering needs.

Kiril
05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
A surfactant is not going to reduce water consumption. The only reasonable use for a surfactant, or wetting agent in this case, is if you have a hydrophobic soil or hydrophobic surface layer .... and even then results will be mixed.

phasthound
05-08-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm thinking about fall renovations. I'd like to aerate, slit seed with a coated seed, topdress with NP 4-4-2, and then water heavily with a surfactant to keep water in the soil. I've never tried this method and am in the process of reading through the articles that come up on Google. Any advice would be great. Most of our customers currently don't have irrigation systems and I'm thinking of an options to reduce watering needs.

You have a good plan, just substitute the surfactant with ICT Hydro-Seed. Benefits include enhanced turf resilience to disease and drought, increased nutrient and water absorption.

Smallaxe
05-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Lots of ways to build a decent soil structure and root depth... Not fertilizing b4 the 3rd mowing in the Spring is the big one...

ICT Bill
05-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Lots of ways to build a decent soil structure and root depth... Not fertilizing b4 the 3rd mowing in the Spring is the big one...

I agree, fertilizing in the spring is a waste of time and money, fall is the best time

Smallaxe
05-11-2011, 08:59 AM
I agree, fertilizing in the spring is a waste of time and money, fall is the best time

Especially if it is producing thatch that repels water, which on most soils it does... :)

TopNotchMowing
05-18-2011, 04:38 PM
I was primarily thinking that the surfactant would help hold water in the soil, enhancing germination rates while reducing watering needs. I was simply asking if the average wetting agent/surfactant would have some type of negative impact on germinating seeds.