PDA

View Full Version : NC Pesticide License question?

Ijustwantausername
05-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Hello all, so in order to start spraying roundup for customers I have to take the Core, Pesticide Laws, and Ornamental and turf exams. Quite frankly I think there should be a separate class for JUST spraying roundup on weeds but that's another issue.

I received the books in the mail and I have been studying here and there. I noticed at the back of each chapter there are questions and answers. I'm inclined to just know that material for the test. I have no interest in nematodes, restricted use pesticides, fertilizers or any other useless information that I will never need to know, kinda like college... I just want to spray to cut down on trimming, that's it.

My question is, have any of you taken the exams? If so, are the questions on the test similar to the ones at the end of each chapter? I have answered about 95% correctly not knowing anything about this stuff, just common sense to me. Also, I'm opting to not take the class, instead I'd rather just take the test, did the class help you? Thanks. Happy Mother's Day :)

Crocker Lawn
05-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I took the test a few years ago, I thought It was mostly common sense so I took it without studying.... Boy was I wrong. I failed both parts, the questions come straight from the books. Look over and study everything carefully, know the material from all chapters!

Hank3rd
05-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I would recommend taking the class and the give the test on the second day. I thought it was helpful and the material stays fresh in your mind. I passed easily!

agrostis
05-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Yes i have taken the that test. It is a lot harder than those end of chapter questions. You will need to know about nematodes,RUPs and fertilizer.I know that is overkill for just spraying roundup but that is the way it is. I think the core test is 100 questions. The T&O is 50. All multiple choice. Take a calculator with you to the test.

Ijustwantausername
05-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Yes i have taken the that test. It is a lot harder than those end of chapter questions. You will need to know about nematodes,RUPs and fertilizer.I know that is overkill for just spraying roundup but that is the way it is. I think the core test is 100 questions. The T&O is 50. All multiple choice. Take a calculator with you to the test.

Fabulous, that's not what I wanted to hear, but thanks. I can't imagine it being too hard. What exactly do you need a calculator for, I saw there were some questions about area/square footage to know how much poison to apply?

agrostis
05-08-2011, 10:46 PM
You will need a calculator for pesticide amounts and area calculations. Good luck.

Mac B.
05-08-2011, 10:54 PM
How much does it cost to take the test, and how often do they give it? Do you have to go to Raleigh or can you take it at your local community college?

Thanks Mac

Ijustwantausername
05-08-2011, 11:11 PM
How much does it cost to take the test, and how often do they give it? Do you have to go to Raleigh or can you take it at your local community college?

Thanks Mac

Mac, here is everything you will need to know regarding the test.

http://www.ncagr.gov/SPCAP/pesticides/license.htm

I'm an idiot for not registering with the one in Raleigh on Tuesday.

gebby
05-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I know that you just want to be able to spray Round Up. There may come a day though that you decide that you would like to expand your business. With the turf licence you are more that just a guy who can cut grass. Knowledge is power. Study and Good Luck.

Mac B.
05-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the link, I was rold the liscense was about $250.

Mac

ok4me2xlr8
05-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the link, I was rold the liscense was about $250.

Mac

It is 70 or 75 I cant remember, but you don't get it back if you fail so study!

Ben Harris
03-19-2013, 10:37 PM
It is 70 or 75 I cant remember, but you don't get it back if you fail so study!

It costs $50.00 for the core $20.00 for the T & O, then if you pass, you write an additional $75.00 check for a licensing fee, then they mail you the license.

mow by the yard
04-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Fabulous, that's not what I wanted to hear, but thanks. I can't imagine it being too hard. What exactly do you need a calculator for, I saw there were some questions about area/square footage to know how much poison to apply?

My son just completed course and passed (barely). 87 people in class. Private operators, Weed Man employees, Tru Green etc. Only 48 people passed both parts. It ain't easy. Son is a college grad and he said test was tough. Better know your bugs!

mow by the yard
04-20-2013, 11:48 AM
manuals are $25.00, Registration and testing $75.00, License when you pass $75.00 This is for ornamentals and turf.