PDA

View Full Version : New trimmer needed

dougcj7
05-08-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm not trying to start a brand war but I'm in the market for a new trimmer. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck under $400. Kind of leaning towards either the echo 280 or the Stihl FS110. What do ya all think? Mind you I live in southern florida and this trimmer will be used almost all year and I currently do 25 yards a week and have several homes with ditches too steep to mow and have to be done with the trimmer and sometimes I get the occasional call to clear a overgrown ditch that is around 14 to 18 inches tall. Does such a trimmer exist? Thanks for the help.

SNAPPER MAN
05-08-2011, 02:17 PM
The best trimmer is the stihl fs-250r period. Nothing is even in the same class as this trimmer imo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevy z71
05-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I would pick the stihl FS110.

SNAPPER MAN
05-08-2011, 02:32 PM
4-mix are pieces of junk and won't last more than two seasons under heavy commercial use.
Posted via Mobile Device

dtc0207
05-08-2011, 02:39 PM
No question I would go with Echo Stihl is the most overrated junk in the industry
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
05-08-2011, 02:46 PM
No question I would go with redmax....echo is the most overrated junk in the industry followed by stihl

grincon
05-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I would go with the stil because of the adjustable carb. it took me a months to figure out how to adjust the carb on my redmax. I like the redmax more now that i figured out how to adjust it. I dont care about the emission laws because if a trimmer runs fine at the shop after its adjusted doesnt mean its going to run good at a different location. emission laws are bs, I paid for the thing i should be able to have it run properly wherever I take it.
Posted via Mobile Device

RandallM
05-08-2011, 04:01 PM
No question I would go with redmax....echo is the most overrated junk in the industry followed by stihl

I agree with going Redmax if you have a dealer near by. I purchased one last year to go along with an Echo trimmer that I purchased the year before. No comparison between the two. The Redmax is lighter and has more power and the one I go to first.

LaLawnGuy
05-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm almost all Stihl, and I'd go with an fs100rx.
Posted via Mobile Device

thezaz
05-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a echo and a stihl

Echo is ok and the Stihl 4 stroke runs like crap and rpm stinks. Had it looked at twice and still runs like junk. I would look into redmax. I use to be a Stihl guy but anything i have from the last few years on the market has given me problems.

Derek's Lawn Care
05-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Ive tried stihl redmax honda kawasaki and for the comfort, weight, power, and performance, stihl fs100rx is the only trimmer ill ever buy. I might try a 250r now that snapper man said it though. The only thing about the stihls is the motors dont like to be reved up and down they like a steady speed. Ive picked up and echo before but never used one, i know i wouldnt like it though bc its shaped like a red max and i like the way the stihls are made, just feels more comfortable to walk around with all day imo

ed2hess
05-08-2011, 07:36 PM
In general it is better to stick with 2 stroke engines. Echo did have a little problem with air filter on the 280 so I would drop back to the 265T. It just may be the best trimmer made in the last 5 years. We are at about 3 years on our first set of 3 and have bought 6 more. I fooled around a little with the 4mix and my opinion is NO good toooo many variables when you get a problem. I got 3 of those that are only one year old that I would sell but afraid the buyer would wrap them around my neck.

freshprince94
05-08-2011, 07:48 PM
I run all Stihl 4 mixes and have zero problems. They run great and are very powerful. I use a Stihl FS 90, that works fine for weekly accounts and clearing overgrowth, but if you're doing a lot of ditches, I'd go with the 100 RX or a 250 if you want max power.

magilla12
05-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I use Echos. They work good for me, but I am just part time in the lawn service biz.

LandscaperPro
05-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Echo, Stihl, Redmax? This guy wants something thats gonna hold up. Why not look at Tanaka's TBC255PF? 25cc, 1.3hp, solid steel shaft with Lifetime Warranty, 2year commercial warranty, only weighs 11.8lbs., and has a reputable reliability. A dealer is not too far from you if u take a look. I sell this and many other Professional Quality Tanaka power tools. This model runs $365 and really is worth looking at. Call me and ask me a couple questions. 1-800-222-4303 ext.124.

nightshutter
05-11-2011, 01:39 PM
REDMAX!! The only way to go

hackitdown
05-11-2011, 04:55 PM
I have 2 Stihl FS90s. I added SpeedFeed heads. They work well for us. We mow 4 days per week, 24 weeks. No problems...and I do nothing but add fuel.

KINGMADE
05-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Save some money and get the Stihl FS90s.

Merkava_4
05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I got 3 of those that are only one year old that I would sell but afraid the buyer would wrap them around my neck.

Jeez........those must be some lousy trimmers. :laugh:

jricker
05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
no 4 mix junk.trouble trouble trouble.go echo

Northeast Mower
05-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Shindaiwa, no question. Solid company and equipment.

dougcj7
05-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Wow thatnks for all the replys, kind of leaning towards the Echo 265T but the place also sells Tanaka and Shindy's. They have a 266T Echo and I'm wondering if this replaced the 265? Anybody have any info on this? I think I might also pick up a little handheld blower for small easy jobs, they have the 255 Echo for $189 or the Tanaka THB-260PF for $229. By the way the Echo 266T is $329 which I thought was a decent price. I can't find a Redmax dealer close and the Stihl dealer that I stopped at was kind of blowing me off since I don't have 10ztr's and 500 accounts.

dougcj7
05-21-2011, 05:18 PM
In all honesty even if you are a diehard Stihl or Redmax guy, do you think that the Echo 265T would be a decent choice for my budget of under $400?

dougcj7
05-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Man I can't help but think about the Stihl FS100RX for $349, freaking 31cc and just over 10 pounds! Wish I could see a heads up comparrison vetween the 100rx and the Echo 265T?

watatrp
05-21-2011, 05:35 PM
I've been doing this for 26 years. I'm on my third Echo (7 years old now). The two that I retired were sold in garage sales for $25 each and were still working. Stihl may be a great piece of equipment but I'm not messing with a good thing.

SouthSide Cutter
05-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Man I can't help but think about the Stihl FS100RX for $349, freaking 31cc and just over 10 pounds! Wish I could see a heads up comparrison vetween the 100rx and the Echo 265T?

If you run them both side beside you probably will pick the 265T. Its a good trimmer. I had 2 old 261T's and a 280T. Don't run anything but FS100Rx's now. I just like the way they fit me when running and the torque. I really think the 265T will outlast the FS100. But if I can get 3 years out of a trimmer thats good enough for me.

SouthSide Cutter
05-21-2011, 06:28 PM
And that price seems high on the Stihl. Should be able to get them under 300.

nepatsfan
05-21-2011, 06:46 PM
I have had several echos, stihls, and redmax. I have not had good luck with echos. I like stihl ok but I wouldn't buy anything but redmax for trimmers or blowers at this point. I would look toward Shindaiwa or maybe stihl. Stay away from echo.

I MOW ALONE
05-21-2011, 06:47 PM
No the prices i am getting on the stihl fs100rx is $349 too. I think that it will be my next trimmer also 10# and 31cc i just want the most power with the lightest trimmer available and i keep coming up with the same results the 100.

BeeCreekLawns
05-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Why isn't anyone mentioning Shindaiwa? That is all I have ever had and don't know any better. I see a lot of people using them. Isn't Shindaiwa and Echo the same company now???

EastCoast
05-21-2011, 06:58 PM
RedMax all the way, just purchased a 2460 a month ago and love it!
Posted via Mobile Device

dougcj7
05-23-2011, 08:43 PM
I just saw a 266T Echo at the dealership and I can't find any info on it, must be a new model. It's not even on Echo's site!

dboyd351
05-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Echo, Stihl, Redmax? This guy wants something thats gonna hold up. Why not look at Tanaka's TBC255PF? 25cc, 1.3hp, solid steel shaft with Lifetime Warranty, 2year commercial warranty, only weighs 11.8lbs., and has a reputable reliability. A dealer is not too far from you if u take a look. I sell this and many other Professional Quality Tanaka power tools. This model runs $365 and really is worth looking at. Call me and ask me a couple questions. 1-800-222-4303 ext.124.

I bought a Tanaka TCG22EASSLP last year. After the rebate finally got here (over 3 months to receive), it ended up only costing $160. I love the trimmer. Easy to start, very light and well balenced, surprising powerful for 21cc. I think it would be well worthwhile to take a look at the Tanaka if you have an established dealer to back up the warrenty.

But, it was like pulling teeth to get the rebate. A number of others on here had the same experience. Tanaka had a sponsor forum on Lawnsite until recently. It is gone now. You hear very little about Tanaka on this site, but when you do, they always seem to get excellent reviews. From what I read on the Tanaka Forum last year, a number of people on Lawnsite tried to contact dealers listed on the Tanaka website only to find out they no longer sold or serviced the line.

Maybe LandscaperPro can explain some of these contradictory messages being sent out by Tanaka? I think it's a great product, but the dealer network seems lacking in many areas. The extensive warrenty means little if you don't have a dealer to honor it.

weeze
05-23-2011, 11:43 PM
honda...or husqvarna

raymn
07-03-2011, 06:00 PM
redmax are junk. Been through 3 of them. The new stratocharge technology makes it impossible to warm up. I don't have time to wait for it to warm up every lawn. The only trimmer that has worked for me is a kgt27a, but it is discontinued. Trying to look for one right now...

XYZLawnPros
07-03-2011, 08:31 PM
We use Husqvarna 323L's roughly 7 hours a day/4 days a week.
Still have the same 4 units from 3 years ago. Only maintenance
we have had on them is keeping them lubed up, and cleaning
and changing the air filters and spark plugs. We do just dandy
using the Husky T35 bump/speed refill heads. We have 3, T35
heads per unit. 2 always filled with line, take off empty, snap new head on and go. Have not broke one or had to replace one yet!

If your going to honestly have high brush or lots of hills, also
take a look at the Husky 323R model. That model comes with the
bicycle style grips for brush cutting. But you can also slap the
regular handle on it as well.

lovemysan
07-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I run a tanaka tbc260 pfL. 71" shaft 1.3hp 25cc. I like it. Its 2-4 pulls generally to start it. I paid $390 out the door with a speedfeed 450 installed. I need more power though. I'm looking at a 340 or 420.

Aaronnc
07-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Yep. Husqvarna 323L all the way. Awesome trimmer.

I've heard of some people disliking their FS100RX. You could do a search. I remember one guy saying it was horribly balanced and that you can't run it without the guards.

944own
07-04-2011, 01:22 AM
The power difference in the 90 and the 110 is not worth the $50 difference but the $50 difference in the 110 and the 130 is well worth it they are like night and day in power. But I would still recommend redmax I bought one of the light 2350's a month ago or so and it is all I use now I now keep my 130 just for heavy stuff and as a backup.

nolanjim
07-04-2011, 07:53 AM
I have used all brands and as long as they are quality commercial trimmers they have all worked great. The 100rx is a fine trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device

GordonCBP
07-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I bought a Tanaka TCG22EASSLP last year. After the rebate finally got here (over 3 months to receive), it ended up only costing $160. I love the trimmer. Easy to start, very light and well balenced, surprising powerful for 21cc. I think it would be well worthwhile to take a look at the Tanaka if you have an established dealer to back up the warrenty.

But, it was like pulling teeth to get the rebate. A number of others on here had the same experience. Tanaka had a sponsor forum on Lawnsite until recently. It is gone now. You hear very little about Tanaka on this site, but when you do, they always seem to get excellent reviews. From what I read on the Tanaka Forum last year, a number of people on Lawnsite tried to contact dealers listed on the Tanaka website only to find out they no longer sold or serviced the line.

Maybe LandscaperPro can explain some of these contradictory messages being sent out by Tanaka? I think it's a great product, but the dealer network seems lacking in many areas. The extensive warrenty means little if you don't have a dealer to honor it.

A few years back Tanaka almost went out of business, not many dealers held on and went with other brands, hence the decline in local dealers. Hitachi stepped in and pretty much restructured the company. The Tanaka brand is starting to grow more due to competitive pricing and warranty coverage (7yr residential, 2yr Commercial, 1yr rental). You will see Tanaka/Hitachi power equipment start to branch out more and within a few years will have a much larger dealer network. We, as a distributor, have signed up a little over 10 NEW Tanaka dealers in the PA, NY, NJ, and MD areas so far in July. You cant go wrong for the price and warranty coverage. Keep an eye on the Tanaka website for new dealers in your area. You can also purchase from Dealers like LandscaperPro and Canns-Bilco. Thumbs Up

dboyd351
07-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the information, Gordon. I hope Tanaka does well, whether as Tanaka or Hitachi. As I said, I love the trimmer, it is so light and well balenced. Anyone who reads the reviews, on Amazon, for example, then looks at the price and warrenty, you've got to be impressed. I just hope mine doesn't break soon because I think dealers are few and far between here, or even in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area.
Anyway, best of luck with success of the line!

MowTard03
07-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Give me an echo srm-265/266T all day.

As for those recommending Husqvarna over Redmax or visa versa, its the same company now, just like shindaiwa and echo you will see more and more redmax's with Husqvarna features and visa versa.

Alan0354
07-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Give me an echo srm-265/266T all day.

As for those recommending Husqvarna over Redmax or visa versa, its the same company now, just like shindaiwa and echo you will see more and more redmax's with Husqvarna features and visa versa.

Both Husqvarna and Redmax are proven to be very reliable, just more complain on cold nature of Redmax that supposed to be adjustable.

Echo have always been reliable even when the new model just come out. That cannot be said about Shindaiwa. The only reliable Shindaiwa that came out lately is the EB802 blower. The T242 and T282 have plenty of complains. As an owner of a M242, I would not buy this if I were to buy a trimmer right now. It has a few little problems and is absolutely gutless supreme. My Shindaiwa EB3410 hand held blower on the other hand is perfect. My cheapy Echo HC151 hedge trimmer has gone through the ringer and stand up to all the abuse. Even the sharp corners of the teeth have rounded and still cuts like a champ. I used it to chop branches to compact it down...That is absolutely abuse.

I am a Maruyama fan, I never like Echo, but I have to give it to Echo from the posts I read and my own experience. That is really a tough cookie.

Lloyd at work
07-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I have all them at my full-time job (shindawa,redmax,stihl,echo,etc..)... The Stihl 110 Is my go to trimmer but it's heavy (I'm a stihl guy still), The Redmax is new and it's light and alot of the other guys like it the most but you can forget about power (if you get into anything thick the power is gone...., would be great for the once a week properties)....Echo and shindawa have held up over the years and seem to be going strong so life length will have to go to these 2 (The shindawa is balanced damn near perfect and is like holding a feather).............These trimmers take care of 98 acres with more trimming then mowing so my final suggestion is this... If your battling different stuff (new) all the time then stihl 110 will be your best investment, but if your taking care of the same properties weekly then Redmax will probably fit you best (I will change to this redmax once my stihl craps out, but I will still have one on hand for the tough stuff)......Now if you can get some useful replies to walkbehind trimmers then we would be good to go...