PDA

View Full Version : gate lift question

flatlander42
05-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I Need a gate lift assist that will allow for the gate to go forward too. Like at least 45 deg. forward. My ramp fits between my side rails and I want to tilt it to the front so it is less drag on the highway.

Any of you have one or know of one that would allow that?

Thanks!

MJB
05-08-2011, 07:28 PM
I Need a gate lift assist that will allow for the gate to go forward too. Like at least 45 deg. forward. My ramp fits between my side rails and I want to tilt it to the front so it is less drag on the highway.

Any of you have one or know of one that would allow that?

Thanks!

Do a search on them, I looked at several then went to Home Depot and bought a garage door spring. They have different sizes I figured out the length I needed by looking at the ones online. Basically You drill a hole, mount your eye bolts one on the frame rail, one on the ramp. Cut a piece of pvc about 3 or 4 ft long, slide it over the spring hook up both ends. Give it a try, the pipe is to keep your fingers from getting pinched. It works great and cost about $40. I walk up to my ramp take my foot and just lift it a few inches and up she comes all by itself then latch it and roll.

Thunderrug
05-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Do you have any pics on that? Kind of challenged in picturing that.

THEGOLDPRO
05-19-2011, 07:34 PM
i would also like to see a pic of the spring in the pvc..........

flatlander42
05-19-2011, 07:56 PM
I have figured out something allready. It will allow the ramp to go quite a ways forward. Just a simple garage door spring....I will just keep my fingers out of it. Yes, the bottom eyebolt may bend. If/when it does I'll make something stronger.

I just couldn't spend the extra $ on the "elegator" or whatever it is called.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7

MJB
05-19-2011, 11:04 PM
i would also like to see a pic of the spring in the pvc..........

It's not that pretty but I love it every time I have to raise or lower the gate.
That pipe gives you a safe place to grab it while it's going down to maintain stealth, or you can push it and let it drop.

TNGrassCutter
05-19-2011, 11:20 PM
How long of a spring is that?
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
05-19-2011, 11:41 PM
How long of a spring is that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Looks like about 2 ft I don't remember exactly. I just measured from the rail to the gate, then lowered the gate and measured again the same way. Then I just had to find a garage spring that would fit.

THEGOLDPRO
05-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I cant believe the eye bolt on the trailer rail doesn't just bend right in half from the pressure.

MJB
05-19-2011, 11:48 PM
I cant believe the eye bolt on the trailer rail doesn't just bend right in half from the pressure.

No problems yet , I put this on last spring. That is a 3/8 " eye bolt . I was surprised the first time I put it on it worked perfect. Don't get to heavy of a spring that one was from Home Depot, took about 45 minutes to hook it up.

TNGrassCutter
06-06-2011, 07:10 PM
I finally got around to making one of my own, pretty much like MJB's but i mounted my eye bolts lower so they wouldn't bend. I bought 2 galvanized eye 3/8" bolts, one garage door spring, and one D ring thing in case I need to take the gate off I won't have to remove the eye bolts.

flatlander42
06-06-2011, 07:16 PM
doesn't that hit the rail when you lower the ramp?

TNGrassCutter
06-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Yea I just push it over as I lower it so it goes outside of the rail, no big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
06-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Yea I just push it over as I lower it so it goes outside of the rail, no big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would of mounted my eye bolts coming out the side of the angle iron, and gate enough to clear the rail, but my tail lights were in the way. You could do it that way and clear the rail, or at least put a piece of pvc over the spring so you don't get your fingers pinched. Otherwise is it working ok?

TNGrassCutter
06-06-2011, 09:44 PM
It's good I haven't come close to pinching my fingers, I just push it over its no big deal
Posted via Mobile Device

highlander316
06-06-2011, 09:51 PM
you should put some sort of cable through the middle of the spring, so if it ever snaps, it won't fly around and kill anyone.

On second look, it looks like there might be one in there?

flatlander42
06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
The spring I have.....DID have the cable in it. But it kept doing THIS! I let it down and it worked Great. Put the gate up and the cable poked outside of the spring. I let the gate down again and it actually bound the spring and kinda tweaked it. So, the cable had to go.

As far as it killing somebody...IF It were to break it would still be attached to one or both of the ends. It may whip somebody, but the spring would contract and be back to either one end or both ends.

I may put a heavy rope inside of the spring....maybe that wouldn't poke out the sides like the cable did.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/cellphonepics4019.jpg

THEGOLDPRO
06-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I need to figure out a gate lift assist for my trailer it literally takes 2 people to lift mine without blowing my back out.

highlander316
06-06-2011, 10:15 PM
i know what you are saying about it possibly staying connected on one end, and eventually retracting. But for something like this, it's the 'what if?' It's the first few seconds that cause the damage. The spring could break and whip out and take out an employee's eye. You never know. I have cables through mine (I didn't make them) and haven't had a problem, odd that you are. Maybe it's the connection?

flatlander42
06-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I need to figure out a gate lift assist for my trailer it literally takes 2 people to lift mine without blowing my back out.

My gate is huge and heavy also. This one spring makes it so I can lift it with one arm. And comfortably with two arms. Pics in my e450 thread, if you haven't seen how big the ramp is. Great way to spend 31$!

flatlander42
06-06-2011, 10:17 PM
I guess I like to live on the edge! The cable I used was what came with the spring....I didn't mix and match them.

i know what you are saying about it possibly staying connected on one end, and eventually retracting. But for something like this, it's the 'what if?' It's the first few seconds that cause the damage. The spring could break and whip out and take out an employee's eye. You never know. I have cables through mine (I didn't make them) and haven't had a problem, odd that you are. Maybe it's the connection?

THEGOLDPRO
06-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Yea i saw the pics, i just dont know if i want a garage door spring hanging off my trailer lol

flatlander42
06-06-2011, 10:19 PM
That's ok, you can "buy" an "elegator" then....LOL!

THEGOLDPRO
06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Im sure i will figure it out before long lol

highlander316
06-06-2011, 10:28 PM
lol, mines a garage door spring. That thing is just under a lot of tension it seems when stretched. More peace of mind for me I guess.

TNGrassCutter
06-06-2011, 11:15 PM
All the elegator looks like is a spring, I think mine looks cool, but I always like things I build.
Posted via Mobile Device

MJB
06-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Im sure i will figure it out before long lol

You'll kick yourself for waiting so long. I raise my gate by putting my foot under eitherside of the ramp just lift up a little and the ramp raises by itself to where I can grab it without bending at all. Why did I wait so long took about an hr to build:hammerhead:. I'm sure you can dress it up a little if your concerned about appearances. I love it.

Runner
06-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Those are crazy the way you guys have those made. I wouldn't be within 40 feet of you guys lowering and raising your gates. It is an accident - no, check that - a NIGHTmare waiting to happen. These springs don't just bend out when they wear, they SNAP! If any of you have ever witnessed the velocity and pressure these things have when they go, you'd be doing this different. These things will take your lower jaw off or your eye socket out in a split second. If you're going to do these, PLEASE do them them with a pulley system and closed tube.
For the original poster, I can't see where a gate leaning 45 degrees forward would help. The mesh of the expanded steel would be all that much more closed, due to the angle (like a solid piece of material), and furthermore, the air will be deflected downward and trapped, so you would be pulling this turbulant pocket of air, like a scoop.