PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day Landscaping Project

Darryl G
05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Here's before and after pics of a little landscaping project I did for wifey for Mother's Day. I had created the bed last year but never got around to putting anything in it other than some salvaged Hostas and then we actually grew some extra pumpkin plants in it that we had. I divided the Hostas a little bit to get some coverage on the right side, dug up a couple of ferns from elsewhere on our property and transplanted some Blackeyed Susans that either grew wild in there or wifey planted...not sure which. Those are on the left near the steps. The only thing I bought was the 2 Summer Snowflake Viburnums and the mulch.

I'm not a big fan of the rubble wall but it was there when we bought the place. I actually rebuilt part of it a few years back and dug down on the back side and snuck some fabric in because soil was constantly washing out from between the rocks. The plan now is to just leave it be and try to hide it some and take the focus off of it. I do plan to put a better course of cap stones on top of the wall some time and make a bed on the back side of it near that Stewartia (a gift from my Uncle).

I made a quick attempt to run a perforated pipe from the gutter to the bed after I was done but the grade just isn't right. That's why the mulch near there is disturbed a bit and looks to be a different color.

My kids planted some wildflowers in my wife's "wildflower patch" which is really just a crappy lawn area that she planted a few wildflowers in years ago. It drives me nuts because I'm only allowed to mow it once a year and it looks more like an overgrown area than a wildflower patch. So at least now maybe there will actually be some wildflowers in it, lol. I had the kids use my Grassstitcher to plant them.

flyingdutch16
05-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Now that looks way better then before. Nice job
Next project should be cleaning up all those sticks in your back yard lol

bobcat48
05-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Looks nice,nice job!

BradLewisLawnCare
05-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I gave my mom a new set of concrete steps and a fresh cutting. I think it was the best idea to use skills like ours for mothers day.

Darryl G
05-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Now that looks way better then before. Nice job
Next project should be cleaning up all those sticks in your back yard lol

Thanks. Sticks? Not sure but I think what you're seeing is the Tomatoe Stakes leaning against the veggie garden fence.

I do need to do something about the gravel parking area in front of it at some point too...it's on the list, lol. Might need to move the basketball hoop now too.

Darryl G
05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Looks nice,nice job!

Thanks. Was kind of a rush job. I didn't start until after 2pm and first I had to go out back and find the rocks I used. I also had to do the mulch rings around the front trees and weed and mulch the front beds and weed, edge and mulch the side bed...had to get the rest of the mulch out of my truck before Monday morning.

Darryl G
05-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I gave my mom a new set of concrete steps and a fresh cutting. I think it was the best idea to use skills like ours for mothers day.

Yup, and stuff that will last longer than a box of chocolates, lol. I used to buy and plant a few flats of annual flowers for my Mom every year. It kind of drove me nuts that after I left she moved them all though, lol.

Lefet
05-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Nice job Darryl. Not sure if it's me or not but the stones against the wall even look like they've taken on a bit of a darker color, doesn't look as bland. Maybe it's the light/time of day. Either way, really nice job.

cuttin-to-the-Max
05-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Nice job Darryl. Not sure if it's me or not but the stones against the wall even look like they've taken on a bit of a darker color, doesn't look as bland. Maybe it's the light/time of day. Either way, really nice job.

Nope its You. Lol just kidding! :laugh:

Im putting money on the rocks were wet since he had just watered those new Plants he put in! In the "after" picture

flyingdutch16
05-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks. Sticks? Not sure but I think what you're seeing is the Tomatoe Stakes leaning against the veggie garden fence.

I do need to do something about the gravel parking area in front of it at some point too...it's on the list, lol. Might need to move the basketball hoop now too.

My bad i thought it was one of those crappy fences that some homeowners set up for their dogs. Sorry

Darryl G
05-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Nope its You. Lol just kidding! :laugh:

Im putting money on the rocks were wet since he had just watered those new Plants he put in! In the "after" picture

Bingo! We have a winner.

Darryl G
05-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Here's the veggie garden. Mostly wife's thing.

PerfectEarth
05-08-2011, 10:57 PM
That's kinda a nice little garden area! And the wall landscape looks much better- I love those old New England rock walls. My sister's old house in Mass had a huge one in the backyard and I always liked it.

Every year I do my parents yard for Mother's day..not ON mothers day but in the week or so following. Free edge, mulch, clean-out, trim... Probably a nice 6-700$ job for nada! But they've been great to me. They deserve it.

Darryl G
05-08-2011, 11:22 PM
That's kinda a nice little garden area! And the wall landscape looks much better- I love those old New England rock walls. My sister's old house in Mass had a huge one in the backyard and I always liked it.

Every year I do my parents yard for Mother's day..not ON mothers day but in the week or so following. Free edge, mulch, clean-out, trim... Probably a nice 6-700$ job for nada! But they've been great to me. They deserve it.

Thanks. I bet your parents really appreciate your work and being able to tell people, "yeah my son did that".

I actually hate that wall. It's such a jumble. I filled a lot of the gaps in and rebuilt the left side near the steps (those need rebuilding too), but with rocks that big there's not much more I can do without some serious heavy equipment.

Those Viburnums will get pretty big and probably take over the whole bed but I wanted it to look fairly full for now. I don't want them to get so big that they block the view of the river from the deck though. I thought about Rhodies or tall ornamental grasses but the Virburnums go well with our mostly natural landscape. The whole lawn on that side is bordered by native Viburnums, tall bush Blueberries and Clethra as a buffer between the lawn and the river. These are actually the first plants (other than veggies) I've ever bought for my own yard and the first time that everything got mulched with the same mulch, lol. Everything else is either salvaged, left over, free or native.

Here's a pic of a larger specimen.