PDA

View Full Version : Bed Grooming

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Well my question is
Do you charge by the foot to groom edge of the beds

Never had to groom one.
Till now I did 460' of tree rings and 840' of beds
Customer said last person did it by the foot but he wouldn t tell what he charged
The job only took me 2 hrs Customer wasn t home when i did it today
With no mulch installed

I just want try stay with in reason of other contractors

Dr.NewEarth
05-08-2011, 11:44 PM
I charge by the job or the hour, never by the foot.

Usually edging is part of a clients contract package around here.
We edge all of our clients and build that into the cost of their monthly fee.

After you edge, it just makes the trimming so much easier and the yard looks outstanding and professionally groomed.

A blade for my edgers is fifteen bucks plus tax and the time to change it. So, if it's a big job with lots of sidewalks, I add a bit more.

If some-one wants me to edge their front lawn as a one off, I tell them $35.00 minimum, or more depending on the amount of work or how many blades I may go through.

35 if it's a normal job, but if the lawn is growing way into the sidewalks and you have to shovel off large chunks of turf and blow extra hard to clean up the dirt and stuff...then I'm going to insist on more money too.

I like to get at least $32.50 an hour for regular labour to cover overhead. profit and beer.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I charge by the job or the hour, never by the foot.

Usually edging is part of a clients contract package around here.
We edge all of our clients and build that into the cost of their monthly fee.

After you edge, it just makes the trimming so much easier and the yard looks outstanding and professionally groomed.

A blade for my edgers is fifteen bucks plus tax and the time to change it. So, if it's a big job with lots of sidewalks, I add a bit more.

If some-one wants me to edge their front lawn as a one off, I tell them $35.00 minimum, or more depending on the amount of work or how many blades I may go through.

35 if it's a normal job, but if the lawn is growing way into the sidewalks and you have to shovel off large chunks of turf and blow extra hard to clean up the dirt and stuff...then I'm going to insist on more money too.

I like to get at least $32.50 an hour for labour to cover overhead. profit and beer.

You are not on same page as I am
I redefine mulch beds and mulch tree rings
Means no sidewalk edger going do this
So do you know what a bed grooming is now
I run a turf teq

knox gsl
05-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I done about 600 feet friday and usually charge by the foot but these were new installs so I didn't break it down that way. Never the less about $.75 per foot including bed prep is the most I can get out of folks around here.

Dr.NewEarth
05-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Dude, I gave you an hourly rate for edging and used the sidewalk example to show how
blade prices can enter into the equation.

If we only edge some-ones bed, then they will still get charged the minimum labor cost.
We do not charge by the foot here.

knox gsl
05-09-2011, 12:00 AM
How deep and clean does that turf teq leave an edge in normal soil conditions?

Darryl G
05-09-2011, 12:10 AM
I find it's ALWAYS best to give the customer at least an estimate of what your charges will be BEFORE you do the work. But, if I were charging by the foot it would be around $0.50 per foot assuming it was redefining and not totally establishing an edge.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-09-2011, 12:20 AM
I done about 600 feet friday and usually charge by the foot but these were new installs so I didn't break it down that way. Never the less about $.75 per foot including bed prep is the most I can get out of folks around here.

All I did was the border edge no bed prep and no mulch

I time my self doing a tree ring less 2min 20' per tree 23 trees = 46 min

I had use a rake to level up what i dug out

Wish I had my camera with me To take pics of my work But it was in a different truck
I'll be mowing it on Wednesday so take some pics then

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-09-2011, 12:23 AM
I find it's ALWAYS best to give the customer at least an estimate of what your charges will be BEFORE you do the work. But, if I were charging by the foot it would be around $0.50 per foot assuming it was redefining and not totally establishing an edge.

Yes most time I do that but he told me just do it bill me

knox gsl
05-09-2011, 12:27 AM
All I did was the border edge no bed prep and no mulch

I time my self doing a tree ring less 2min 20' per tree 23 trees = 46 min

I had use a rake to level up what i dug out

Wish I had my camera with me To take pics of my work But it was in a different truck
I'll be mowing it on Wednesday so take some pics then

Don't forget that your are using a specialty machine that replaced what wouldve been 20 minutes per tree had you been using a spade instead.

BTW how well does the Turf Teq do compaired to a Brown or Bed bug?

Snyder's Lawn Inc
05-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Don't forget that your are using a specialty machine that replaced what wouldve been 20 minutes per tree had you been using a spade instead.

BTW how well does the Turf Teq do compaired to a Brown or Bed bug?

I rented a Brown once said no more
Turf Teq is 10 times better dont have to walk backwards don t have to drag it

aaldecu1
05-09-2011, 03:48 PM
What would be really nice if there was an attachment for the quick attach front mount on a JD garden tractor or compact tractor to do this. I am not aware of any and am definitely not an engineer. The mid-mount PTO could run it. Just dreaming.
Posted via Mobile Device