PDA

View Full Version : Cost of removing 7 bushes, 6 small trees, 25 branches cut down

Emar
05-09-2011, 01:18 AM
Hi, the owner of the property wants to clean up the front of the building.

They want:

1: Remove all bushes (roots)/small trees from front of building. Just remove no top soil.

2: Remove all small 6 trees no root just cut low.

3: Trim bottom branches of trees for light, 5 trees, 25 branches

He will provide a bin for on the back to throw away all items. Iím thinking for one person this will be a 3 day job. I have never done a job like that. What quote can I give him for this job.

Thanks.
http://atrexstudio.com/emar/1.jpg

knox gsl
05-09-2011, 01:23 AM
1 guy, eight hours or 2 guys, 5 hours. I would use the hillybilly method and pull the bushes with your truck ad then cut everthing back, the tree branches should go fast with a pole saw.

Emar
05-09-2011, 09:55 AM
1 guy, eight hours or 2 guys, 5 hours. I would use the hillybilly method and pull the bushes with your truck ad then cut everthing back, the tree branches should go fast with a pole saw.

Thanks for the reply, I don't have a truck power full enough to do this. But you gave me another idea to pull these bushes with a pulley system. How much do you think I should take for a job like that?

Darryl G
05-09-2011, 10:18 AM
If you've never done tree work before I'd either pass on it or subcontract a tree service. 3 days should be plenty of time to get that done though. The part that concerns me is that you have never done this type of work before.

Emar
05-09-2011, 10:35 AM
If you've never done tree work before I'd either pass on it or subcontract a tree service. 3 days should be plenty of time to get that done though. The part that concerns me is that you have never done this type of work before.

Thanks for the reply, I have done this type of work but not to this scale, only residential gardens. But this is larger so its hard for me to price it out.

Darryl G
05-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Ok, well even though they are just low limbs on those trees, you can screw it up if you don't know what you're during and get hurt in the process.

One thing I will say regarding those shrubs....be sure you leave some trunk standing up when you cut them. It gives some leverage when trying to pull them. I often use a "sacrificial" axe to chop the roots around shrubs. You could use a come-along anchored to a tree or something else to pull yank them, but don't expect it do it by itself...some digging and/or chopping will almost certainly be needed. As soon as you can get them to start moving, you can see where they are holding.

Emar
05-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Ok, well even though they are just low limbs on those trees, you can screw it up if you don't know what you're during and get hurt in the process.

One thing I will say regarding those shrubs....be sure you leave some trunk standing up when you cut them. It gives some leverage when trying to pull them. I often use a "sacrificial" axe to chop the roots around shrubs. You could use a come-along anchored to a tree or something else to pull yank them, but don't expect it do it by itself...some digging and/or chopping will almost certainly be needed. As soon as you can get them to start moving, you can see where they are holding.

That's great advice I am aware to leave some of the trunk for handling. Thanks for letting me know the exact name of the tool: come-along. Its cheap to rent like 30 a week plus slings if you need them.

White Gardens
05-10-2011, 10:02 AM
You might want to entertain the idea of renting a mini skid to yank those shrubs.

The only problem I see with using a mini though is trying not to disturb the soil under the sidewalk and having issues with that in the long run.

Dr.NewEarth
05-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Removing tree branches. Use a three point cut.

1. a distance away from the trunk, cut through the bottom of the branch 1/4 way.

2. go on the top between the bottom cut and the trunk and cut through the branch.
That way you do not tear the bark when the branch falls!
3. Cut the stub just outside of the branch collar. That is where it is puffy next to the
trunk. Do not cut into this, as it is not a recommended practice and prevents
proper "compartmentalization of disease in trees."

Google: Alex Shigo, C.O.D.I.T., ISA for more information on tree pruning.

If you already knew this, awesome. Hopefully it helps out some others.

Also, even though you have provided us some great reference shots,
I believe you have a better perspective of the scope of work than any of us.

I would stick to a price that you feel comfortable with. Trust your insticts.

Dr.NewEarth
05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
This site is acting weird right now??? I already posted this and it didn't show up.

Prune those branches with a three point pruning method.

1. a distance away from the trunk, cut 1/4 way through the bottom of the branch.
2. go farther out the branch and cut it through from the top, so it doesn't tear bark.
3. cut the stub that is left, just outside of the branch collar. This is the puffy part
next to the trunk. Don't cut into the branch collar as it will prevent proper healing.

"compartmentalization of disease in trees= codit"
For more pruning information search: Alex Shigo, Codit and ISA

If you already know this, fantastic. Hopefully it will help others.

As for price. Although you have supplied some great pictures, you have the
better perspective of the scope of work required.

Trust your instincts. I believe they are right.

I'm such a ludite tonight.

Dr.NewEarth
05-10-2011, 11:04 PM
See that, it did come up eventually. I couldn't delete the second one though.

so, GO CANUCKS GO

Dr.NewEarth
05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Hi Emar, I think this site is much better than the "Hooterville" site.
Do you agree?
At least you get a response here.

Emar
05-12-2011, 11:02 PM
This site is acting weird right now??? I already posted this and it didn't show up.

Prune those branches with a three point pruning method.

1. a distance away from the trunk, cut 1/4 way through the bottom of the branch.
2. go farther out the branch and cut it through from the top, so it doesn't tear bark.
3. cut the stub that is left, just outside of the branch collar. This is the puffy part
next to the trunk. Don't cut into the branch collar as it will prevent proper healing.

"compartmentalization of disease in trees= codit"
For more pruning information search: Alex Shigo, Codit and ISA

If you already know this, fantastic. Hopefully it will help others.

As for price. Although you have supplied some great pictures, you have the
better perspective of the scope of work required.

Trust your instincts. I believe they are right.

I'm such a ludite tonight.

Great tip, I have check out proper pruning technique. I want to do a good job for customer and the tree, you can really hurt a tree by not doing things right. Trees never heal.

johnyredd99
05-14-2011, 02:01 PM
think you were looking for a price if your looking at 3 days @ 8hrs. per x what your worth an hour + rental cost = roughly a 1200 or more....

I would come by the business when no one is around and hook a chain to bush and truck and give a lttle tug to see whats going on before bidding tho. w/o the right equipment those bushes is really going to be the cost factor

dean1130
05-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I would sugguest instead of a mini bobcat, use a mini excavator. And if you ever done tree work before or ever done climbing, the tree work part shouldn't take no more then 2hrs. One guy could do this in a day and a half with the right equipment. A mini ex with a thumb on it, you can pull those shrubs out in no time. Around here a mini ex is around $230.00 a day. Dr. new earth was right about the pruning cuts. The one he mentioned is the drop cut, the other one you can use is called a snap cut. This one you still make the cut from the bottom, but in stead of cutting on the right side of the cut, you cut on the left side. This is used often on branches that are under pressure. And then make your final cut next to branch collar at a slight angle. Tree work is easy once you learn it. But one wrong cut and you can be badly hurt or dead, so think wisely before doing anything. Also my rule of thumb, if you doing tree work, never do it alone. So in my case this job with 2 people would be about $1100.00. That's for one day, plus rental charge and fuel charge. The other thing alot don't think about is, if you live an hr from the job, it will take you an hr to get there and an hr to get back, therefore you have to charge for that time too. If you have two people then it doubles.

Emar
12-17-2014, 11:55 PM
Thank to all that replied and helped. The job got done a while back, but I'm putting pics. up now

Emar
12-18-2014, 12:02 AM
think you were looking for a price if your looking at 3 days @ 8hrs. per x what your worth an hour + rental cost = roughly a 1200 or more....

I would come by the business when no one is around and hook a chain to bush and truck and give a lttle tug to see whats going on before bidding tho. w/o the right equipment those bushes is really going to be the cost factor

I charged 1200 2ppl cut low to the root cover with soil. Took 8hrs x 2 ppl but with roots ur right it be 3 days.owner provided a bin and it got filled to max not sure what size but it was big. The owner was my friends dad so he gave me some slack with the bin and other stuff. I do lawn maintenance for them now and brick was another project.