PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Homecheapo to ship stone or gravel?

soloscaperman
05-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I have a customer that gave me a good flower bed project and I will need 145 pieces of flag stone. Questions is will it be smarter to have Homedepot ship it for only $65 or should I stress my old truck, wear and tear, and wasting gas going up this steep hill. Starting to realize that mileage and gas is slowly creeping up in this kind of business.

I am just worried I will look unprofessional having them ship it.

Patriot Services
05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Why? Many contractors use HD and Lowes for supplies. That's why they have a contractors service desk. Delivery of large, bulk items makes sense. It looks more unprofessional seeing a half ton truck dragging tail obviously overloaded.
Posted via Mobile Device

soloscaperman
05-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Very true about the truck wheel dragging near the wheel well.

BlazerRidge
05-10-2011, 09:36 PM
IMO if you have a contractor yard such as lowes, home depot, or some local yard deliver your materials then it shows that you are running an actual business and you aren't some guy showing up with crappy materials overloading your truck. Just let the client know that they will be delivering the stone.

Think Green
05-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Solo,
I use Lowe's and Home Depot products commercially and residentially. I have them deliver heavy products to the site all the time, especially the faceblocks and paverstones.
It is impressive for customer's to see all the commotion of trucks delivering products to their home. It is the human experience to be pampered...........like opening a present, the eyes glow with anticipation. If they will deliver my products and never add wear and tear to my trailers.............Then I am the winner!!!!
People already know the names of these giant store's and they do feel that the products are of high quality.

I sleep well at night after using some of their products and have them delivered.

Dr.NewEarth
05-10-2011, 11:48 PM
I prefer to have materials delivered.

As far as I can tell, the client doesn't care just as long as the job is done right.

I picked up a half yard of soil once and the shovel came off the tractor
and did three thousand dollars damage to my new pick-up.
They paid for it, but now there is a "not responsible for Vehicle damage" sign.

If I do pick up some-thing I use one of my trailers only now....
and I bill the customer
what the supplier would charge me for delivery anyway.

lawnkingforever
05-12-2011, 07:26 AM
I prefer to have materials delivered.

As far as I can tell, the client doesn't care just as long as the job is done right.

I picked up a half yard of soil once and the shovel came off the tractor
and did three thousand dollars damage to my new pick-up.
They paid for it, but now there is a "not responsible for Vehicle damage" sign.

If I do pick up some-thing I use one of my trailers only now....
and I bill the customer
what the supplier would charge me for delivery anyway.

I agree. I never carry material in the bed of my truck. I get everything delivered and include the delivery charge in with the estimate.

White Gardens
05-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Solo,
I use Lowe's and Home Depot products commercially and residentially. I have them deliver heavy products to the site all the time, especially the faceblocks and paverstones.
It is impressive for customer's to see all the commotion of trucks delivering products to their home. It is the human experience to be pampered...........like opening a present, the eyes glow with anticipation. If they will deliver my products and never add wear and tear to my trailers.............Then I am the winner!!!!
People already know the names of these giant store's and they do feel that the products are of high quality.

I sleep well at night after using some of their products and have them delivered.

Be careful with some of those paver/block products from box-stores. I know homedepot carries a better brand of wall block and pavers but even sometimes their specs are questionable.

Basically the tinsel strength and durability can be much less than a true wall block supplier. Ultimately if you've got some projects that are going to take some abuse after install, then I would look closely at all other products first.

To the original question, yes I would have them delivered if it is cost effective.