PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on 2 different bed edging machines...

OmegaRed
05-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't currently have an edger, but got a job from a friend that has a large set of flower beds (maybe 15 1000sq/ft beds). It's a basic bed cleanup, remove pine needles, cut old growth and edge.

I've read a few posts where people charge from .75 - 1.00 a linear foot for edging. These are already established beds, so I'm guessing they would just need a touch up edge.

I already have a Stihl fs90 string trimmer, and was contemplating buying a head attachment for a edger, but they are $180. Would it be worth spending the extra $100 or so to get a dedicated pull edger? Do they make different types of cuts? Can you still use them for sidewalks or do they make a large deep cut that rolls the edge over?

I also looked into renting, but it's $60 for 3hrs or $90 for the day - and with that I'd rather just buy one...

Badgerland
05-15-2011, 03:45 AM
I don't know much, but I think a buck per foot is not reasonable.

Hoy landscaping
05-17-2011, 05:46 PM
yeah i think if i got to charge a dollar per foot id be making more on edging then i would if i won the lottery....

nobagger
05-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Yeah like the other guys said, a buck a foot is just not good business practice. On the edger note, I doubt your going to find a dedicated bed edger for a few hundred bucks worth buying. We have a LittleWonder Bad shaper and it does very well, we also have a Echo bed re-difiner which also does very well in the right conditions. If its dry out and the beds aren't too bad off then the attachment should do ok if its like the Echo, but if there is a lot of sod that needs to be cut out to even everything up try renting a LittleWonder type.

jwsland
05-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Little Wonder Bed Shaper here. One of the best pieces of equipment I've ever bought. I can edge a house as fast as I can walk around it. Worth every penny they're askin for them!