PDA

View Full Version : Critique my stripes

HitchC&L
05-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Heres a lawn I did yesterday.

They are cell phone pics as the sun is coming down. The lawn is greener than it appears in the pics, but you get the gist of how the stripes look

Mower is an Exmark Turf Tracer 52" with no striper kit, and semi sharp gator 3 in 1 blades

Let me know what you think, what I can do better. Be critical, I have thick skin haha, I want this lawn to look as good as possible.

PerfectEarth
05-11-2011, 05:28 PM
They look like stripes made by a lawnmower............ Sorta like everyone else's.

mdlwn1
05-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Most stripes are pointless..they only serve to disperse clippings evenly. Unfortunately most guys on here end up rutting the ground underneith them constantly causing a washboard effect. You can however stripe without rutting and no roller is required, but it's more art at that point...knowing how the plant grows and how to manipulate it accordingly...how changes in setting up your mower will affect the cut. Art done poorly looks much worse than none at all. Very few people will ever make any real money focusing on rutted straight lines "stripes" as they are known here on this forum. It's usually a sign their head is not one for business..just like the ford/chevy arguements. If it's something you really want to do....do some searching here...lots of good advice. from a while back......but mostly bad....like double cutting, same ruts every time, etc.

coreisntlife
05-11-2011, 06:34 PM
the stripes are mostly tire stripes, non gator blades will help lift the grass more, and make a more uniform stripe. also check and make sure your deck it pitched forward.

Turf Commando
05-11-2011, 06:35 PM
They look like stripes made by a lawnmower............ Sorta like everyone else's.

I'm training a guy and his stripes look like letter s.. Some people have the eye for it others can't do it correctly no matter how many demo's you give...

weeze
05-11-2011, 06:35 PM
they look good to me...down south here we don't really stripe...but it's important to keep the lines straight...it just looks better and more professional....always change up the direction in which you cut if you can but on some yards it's not a choice...you can't go 5ft and turn and go 5ft lol...you know....ruts aren't really an issue unless you mow when the ground is mushy or just go exactly over the same tire tracks every time...always try to change it up somewhat and then you avoid any rutting

LawnGuy73
05-11-2011, 06:42 PM
the stripes are mostly tire stripes, non gator blades will help lift the grass more, and make a more uniform stripe. also check and make sure your deck it pitched forward.

Agreed....

nobagger
05-11-2011, 07:03 PM

Yeah was thinking the same thing. Nice and straight :clapping:

bobcat48
05-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Looks great,nice work!

Darryl G
05-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Looks fine but it looks like you're overlapping more on one side than the other so they're not even width.

FinerCutslawnCare
05-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Looks fine but it looks like you're overlapping more on one side than the other so they're not even width.

I can agree with that.