PDA

View Full Version : How much do you charge for hedge trimming?

Hardcore5657
05-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I have to give a estimate on hedge trimming, how do you figure out a price?
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
05-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Depends mostly on the size of the job, more or less.

IES
05-11-2011, 08:34 PM
For my commercial jobs I charge 4-6$ per bush. I don't do resi so I got nothing on that
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenery
05-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

MR-G
05-11-2011, 10:45 PM
we charge 1.25 per minute per man.....3 guys for 30 minutes costs 112.50...but they can do a lot in 30 minutes...we always charge by the clock...you have to really...we dont have a product we are selling....we sell time..thats it...plain and simple, we sell time..quality takes time therefore costs more...i say that to customers all the time...we can do a quick mow,blow,and go...or we can do full detail and spend all day there....its all in what the customer wants to pay for.....

bohiaa
05-12-2011, 10:07 AM
We cant roll a truck for under 200.00

QualityLawnCare4u
05-12-2011, 10:17 AM
D*mn, I wished I could get what some of you folks are getting. Around here the rate is 35 per hour and thats the big time high end lawn companies, you can get it done for as little as 10 an hour and there are many that will do it for that. I try to stay away from shrubbery except for my high end clients.

bohiaa
05-12-2011, 10:23 AM
D*mn, I wished I could get what some of you folks are getting. Around here the rate is 35 per hour and thats the big time high end lawn companies, you can get it done for as little as 10 an hour and there are many that will do it for that. I try to stay away from shrubbery except for my high end clients.

I really dont see how people are staying in Business like this...

were a ligit CO. my trucks get 6 to 8 MPG. my employees are paid 10.00 to start. 18 for a crew leader.

But the time a truck get's there I've got 30 to 50 invested.

Lets not talk about insurance, uniforms, ware and tear......

bmac1996acc
05-12-2011, 10:33 AM

I'm not doing any shrubs for $10 an hour.

I had a lady I mow tell me her old yard guy did them for free. I said but you said he charged you more right. She said yeah but only $10 PER MOW. I said so he was charging you $160 to do your hedges. She had a completely dumbfounded look on her face. I told her she could pay the $50 I originally quoted or I'll do it free and charge her $10 more per mow.

gebby
05-12-2011, 12:26 PM
First off, I hate shrub work. I will find any excuse not to do them. I do have a few customers that expect my services on their shrubs. I usually tell people that they can't afford me doing their shrubs. If that doesn't scare them my prices are as follows. I get as much as I can. I quote as much as I can plus the cost of 3 beers. (No I am not kidding) When they get the bill there are no surpises for them or for me. Then me and my hurting back go home find the lawn chair and round up at least 3 beers.

cpllawncare
05-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I just did four shrubs covered in ivy in about an hour I charged $65

GMLC
05-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I charge $9 each.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
05-12-2011, 06:50 PM
$50 per hour...i can do around 10-12 bushes per hour by myself counting cleanup and all...depends on if they are small bushes or medium or large lol...really just depends on how long it will take which can be tough to judge sometimes..i did a big job last year that had 40-50 bushes/shrubs....took me 3hrs by myself and i charged $150....i don't wanna do a job that big again unless i have help so i try to stick with small jobs like 10 bushes or less now.

MR-G
05-12-2011, 07:00 PM
I really dont see how people are staying in Business like this...

were a ligit CO. my trucks get 6 to 8 MPG. my employees are paid 10.00 to start. 18 for a crew leader.

But the time a truck get's there I've got 30 to 50 invested.

Lets not talk about insurance, uniforms, ware and tear...... may i add you forgot: advertising,accounting,billing,stamps,printer ink,cellphones,work comp,depriciation on trucks and equipment, loan payments (if app) maint/ repairs, reserves for new equipment (cause it dont last forever) training new employees, legal fees, licenses, if you spray then you need to update ceu's (continued education courses at local collages)..fertilizers, chemicals, supplies, and the list goes on.....people not running legit have NO CLUE what those of us who are legit have to deal with...its not a matter of "i wish i could charge that" its impossible not to...and grow into a large company...:usflag:

MR-G
05-12-2011, 07:15 PM
D*mn, I wished I could get what some of you folks are getting. Around here the rate is 35 per hour and thats the big time high end lawn companies, you can get it done for as little as 10 an hour and there are many that will do it for that. I try to stay away from shrubbery except for my high end clients. you will only be able to get what YOU think your worth....YOU set YOUR rates.....not everyone around you.....if you want to make money set yourself higher than most....but then you need to deliver a better quality than the rest as well....its hard to turn away jobs in the beginning but you will eventually not get anywhere if your pricing isnt high enough...ive been doing this a long time (over 25 yrs) and ive seen a lot of big companies fail due to poor pricing and bad management skills...we have multiple crews and each crew has a specialty...one just does per cut mow and blows...one does higher end full service residentials and one does commercial.....all in all the mow blow and go crew actually nets a higher percent....while the commercial crew has a way higher gross...the residential full service is what keeps it all going in tough times though....good luck and think outside the box...follow no one!!!

XLS
05-12-2011, 07:23 PM
we trim every week on only shrubs in need and we have a 25.00 minimum and $5.00 for a 3' $7.00 for 4' 12.00 for a 6' and for ladder work its 15.00 per bush plus 125.00 per man hour this would be while working in an area if it has drive we add 15.00 per job hour for truck fuel

TJLANDS
05-12-2011, 07:28 PM
For my commercial jobs I charge 4-6$ per bush. I don't do resi so I got nothing on that
Posted via Mobile Device

thats a first never heard anyone charge by the bush.

I have one crew that only does shrubs, weeds, clean-ups.
I get $40 per man hr. 5 days a week 8-9 hours a day.
crew leader $15 two other guys are 11 each, if they work Weekends
I get $48 per man hr.
Also add on $50 dumping fee to every job.
Brings billable hours up to about 85%

Baytownlawncare
05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I just eyeball hedges and figure about how long it will take and charge $60 an hour. Usually do real well. I charged a lady $120 about 2 weeks ago for two hours and actually finished the job in under an hour and 45 minutes. Did pretty good on that estimate. If I cannot get a good handle on an estimate, I just charge $60 an hour per man.

topsites
05-12-2011, 07:49 PM
thats a first never heard anyone charge by the bush.

I'm guessing you don't have no milf customers, the lady says "you want to trim my bush?" you say "oh yes ma'am" she says "how much?" etc

cpllawncare
05-12-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm guessing you don't have no milf customers, the lady says "you want to trim my bush?" you say "oh yes ma'am" she says "how much?" etc

OMG! :dancing:

ed2hess
05-12-2011, 09:33 PM

If they could get that amount they should be out trimming bushes and not on lawnsite. If we charged that to our regular customers we would lose them ALL.

Florida Gardener
05-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Wow, you must service cheapos or have set your prices way low...35/hour is not a lot....

cpllawncare
05-12-2011, 10:00 PM
If I'm having trouble with a quote I always go to the $1/min formula it usually gets you pretty close.

MR-G
05-12-2011, 10:00 PM
If they could get that amount they should be out trimming bushes and not on lawnsite. If we charged that to our regular customers we would lose them ALL. LOL....if that is the case sir...you need better customers....unless you plan on doing all the work yourself forever....would you rather make 95% of what YOU do each day or 40% of what 95 people can do in a day....its a no brainer for me...im only 45 and tired

QualityLawnCare4u
05-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Wow, you must service cheapos or have set your prices way low...35/hour is not a lot....

Nope, that is the going rate in my area, and it sux! I had a client yesterday add 20 bucks to the check for me to trim her shrubs, a good 2 hour job. I gave her the 20 back and told her I could not do it for that plus I HATE folks telling me what they will pay instead of asking me for a price:hammerhead: So I stay away from shrubs as much as possible. Did a 15 minute trim job today for 15 bucks and she has always paid with no problem. I price mine high so I get very few shrub jobs and I like it that way!

Patriot Services
05-12-2011, 10:39 PM
I can only imagine the quality for 10 bucks an hour. Ryobi with an add on hedger bogging down on anything over quarter inch diameter. Leaving half the clippings on top to die and blowing the other half under the bush. Hoping he can get paid before customer notices.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baytownlawncare
05-12-2011, 10:43 PM
This can go downhill quick, I need a good laugh after today!

JDiepstra
05-12-2011, 10:52 PM
How much you can charge depends on how good and efficient you and your trimmers are. I charge $50 an hour using a couple different types of Echo trimmers. I do good work and do it fast. Noone has ever complained. If you're using a pruners or hedge clippers, you should get a lot less cause it's gonna take you forever.

unkownfl
05-12-2011, 10:53 PM
All my hedges are included in my monthly service. I usually mulch the clippings into the yard after I use the blower to get them there. I can trim most of my hedges in about 30 seconds per linear foot with the hedge being shorter than 4 ft. I don't pick up every leaf out of the bed as most have pine bark and can't really tell. I usually get .50 per linear ft less than 4ft in height. Again this is trimming taking only new growth off. If I have to take old growth off when the stems actually turn brown then the price is double if not triple. Every additional 1ft in height if 20% on the .50 per linear ft. Again this is me I have one helper and my route is tight. I only use that formula for annual contracted customers and I figure about 20 trimmings per year. One time callers I usually have a minimum of $40 just to come out I don't do estimates unless they know its a $40 minimum. Their price is usually $2+ per linear ft depending if I mulch them into the yard or have to haul/pick them up.

TuffWork
05-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Alot of this $ per hour talk is thrown around, but what alot of you guys who charge alot have to understand is alot of us are either solo or out there WITH our crew. Not to mention having accounts right next to each other. I charge $35 an hour for me and a helper. I only work within about a 10 mile radius. I had someone call me to do a yard that was 13 miles away the other day. I told him I would have to charge close to $50 (what some of you guys charge) and he wasn't interested. I can't blame him. Keep in mind the cost of living here is EXTREMELY low. Even compared to other places in the country with low costs of living. I don't pay alot to live here and my customers don't expect to either. A little money goes a long way. In case your wondering I do pay taxes (even sales tax at 8.25%) AND I have a $million insurance policy (per occurrence)

That being said. I've got an office complex that I'm about to try and do the hedges at. There are probably 25-30 individual blocks of hedges between the windows. They are about 3-5 feet long and about 3 feet high. I was thinking I would charge $5 a piece. I think I get one done in about 3-5 min. with helper going behind me blowing out the excess and picking up anything the mower can't. So yeah, about 5-8 bucks a piece.

ALC-GregH
05-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Trimming shrubs. Hummm. I bid a large shrub trimming job today. It's a fairly large amount. They also wanted 6 yards of mulch installed. It will probably take all day to get it all done. I priced it at $1400 because I've been sooo busy that I'm not sure if I can fit it in. He said to do it! :D Guess I HAVE to find the time.

Smallaxe
05-12-2011, 11:34 PM
I can only imagine the quality for 10 bucks an hour. ...Posted via Mobile Device

Quality is the key issue IMO, and I'm not blaming the equipment... People have the idea about the value of something that they 'could do' themselves but just don't have the time for... Why would my time be worth less if I'm trimming bushes/trees than if I'm mowing a lawn?

Because a lot of time is spent with indecision and nobody likes the result... See instantly what should be done, then just do it... If you can educate the client on what has happened, then so much the better... :)

XLS
05-13-2011, 01:28 PM
I love our approach of a mow day
lawns mowing $65.00 reg*(30 min mowing 12 mins trimming 4 min blowing)
debris pick up $12.00 ( 3 minutes of time)
chemical application $14.00 (7 minutes time 1/8 a gallon of gly-4 at .50 a gallon cost
Trim 3 front bushes $25.00 (3' 12 minutes
Total bill $116.00 instead of 65.00

If it gets done it gets billed that day with out asking or being told to do it

cpllawncare
05-13-2011, 09:04 PM
I love our approach of a mow day
lawns mowing $65.00 reg*(30 min mowing 12 mins trimming 4 min blowing)
debris pick up $12.00 ( 3 minutes of time)
chemical application $14.00 (7 minutes time 1/8 a gallon of gly-4 at .50 a gallon cost
Trim 3 front bushes $25.00 (3' 12 minutes
Total bill $116.00 instead of 65.00

If it gets done it gets billed that day with out asking or being told to do it

I like your approach mind if I use it? I almost do the same but not quite to that extent, but I'm going to start, no more freebies!!!

Patriot Services
05-13-2011, 09:10 PM
You mean you can't just trim this hedge here real quick? Your already here! But you do the neighbors hedge (she pays extra every month for that). Well it should be part of basic mowing! These are actual statements I've heard over the years. Names witheld to protect the ignorant.
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
05-15-2011, 02:04 AM
I estimate how long a job will take alone no helper,estimate how much fuel I will use in the dump truck, and anything else that might be used, deduct that, how much I might pay someone helping me, and a few other small costs and figure out how much I wanna put in my pocket and there's my price. I just bid a job for some shrub pruning. I have to take 2ft off the top of two burning bush, trim 3 holly's that are 4'x4'. remove one rose bush. and load a handful of brush. I told the lady 475 she said do it. I figure I could do all of this in 4hrs on my own worst case scenario, I'm planning on going there with a helper and getting it done in under 2hrs. after everything is all said and done I should have profited atleast 400 for this job.

XLS
05-15-2011, 02:56 PM
We dont give an estimate we go in and when we do an initial councltation we inform them on all of our work we clock in and clock out its that easy them say if it needs done we will just do it and add a few $$ to the bill then we ask will they want us to include bed shaping, mulching, trimming, fertilize, storm cleanup, and then go and i assume if our guys come in and a few twigs are in the grass you want them picked up so the lawn looks good .......the HO gets carried away on the little things and then i hand them a sheet of paper stating they do want the services ....... and then have them sign a gly-4 release at the bottom and then i say the mowing (base Services ) will be about XXX and they go OK ..........XX goes to +++++$ 3 weeks a month lol and no complaints

KINGMADE
05-16-2011, 04:41 AM
Remember it is better to overbid than underbid. God knows I have paid my dues.

cpllawncare
05-16-2011, 06:11 AM
I estimate how long a job will take alone no helper,estimate how much fuel I will use in the dump truck, and anything else that might be used, deduct that, how much I might pay someone helping me, and a few other small costs and figure out how much I wanna put in my pocket and there's my price. I just bid a job for some shrub pruning. I have to take 2ft off the top of two burning bush, trim 3 holly's that are 4'x4'. remove one rose bush. and load a handful of brush. I told the lady 475 she said do it. I figure I could do all of this in 4hrs on my own worst case scenario, I'm planning on going there with a helper and getting it done in under 2hrs. after everything is all said and done I should have profited atleast 400 for this job.

That's over $100/hr by yourself, that's outragous, but if you can get it get it!

tuffram
05-16-2011, 07:05 AM
I own and operate my business myself no helpers or crew. I charge $10 per bush for small ones $15 per bush for medium size and $20 per bush for large ones. I seem to do pretty well charging these prices although I do not cut that many shrubs.

ALC-GregH
05-16-2011, 07:13 AM
I'm leaving to go start on the hedge trimming job I posted about earlier. I'll get pics of the shrubs.

StihlMechanic
05-24-2011, 10:57 PM
A friend of mine charges 30-35 per hour, not sure which. I charge 1.50 per linear foot for light shaping of hedges 24-36 inches tall. 2.50 per ft for heavy shaping of the same size. for every 12 inches higher I charge an extra .35 for light shaping. This pricing is almost right at $35 per hour for me. I only do shrubs for my regular customers as I hate them with a passion. Everyone else gets a double quote so they will decline the estimate.