PDA

View Full Version : Paver Driveway ???

ALLPro Landscaping
05-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Must you always rip out the existing base material to install pavers, I have a customer who has an asphalt driveway with item 4 as the base material, not the recycled concrete like every ones using now. I would really hate to rip out such good material. Also the driveway is in near perfect condition, one crack running a mid point from one side to the other. Nothing major and no sinking whats so ever

DVS Hardscaper
05-11-2011, 11:21 PM
No, you do not have to remove the base, provided it is suitable for pavers.

It's not uncommon for folks to lay pavers over the existing asphalt.

Such instances are done on a case by case basis.

ALLPro Landscaping
05-11-2011, 11:25 PM
I deff don't want to lay over the asphalt, I think that would be un wise and un professional, its so rare now a days to see any one using item 4 so I really would hate to rip it out, what advise could you give me to determine if the base is suitable for the pavers, I figure I would gone in with a skid and surgically remove the asphalt and bring in a bit more item to re grade, then go over it with the 3 ton roller.

DVS Hardscaper
05-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Item 4????? Is that a meal at McDonalds? I have no clue what that is.

Installing Pavers over asphalt is a common practice, nothin unprofessional. Case by case basis .
Posted via Mobile Device

Cam.at.Heritage
05-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Installing Pavers over asphalt is a common practice, nothin unprofessional. Case by case basis .
Posted via Mobile Device

How is it possible to lay pavers over asphalt?? I have never heard of that being done? How do you match grades at Sidewalk?Roads?Garages?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-12-2011, 05:06 PM
As he said case by case basis. Certain area's you will have to cut and play with the base to get your height to work. A lot of times it might not work and you'll have to pull out the existing pavement.

DVS Hardscaper
05-12-2011, 07:29 PM
How is it possible to lay pavers over asphalt?? I have never heard of that being done? How do you match grades at Sidewalk?Roads?Garages?

Again, I think I twice mentioned "case by case". Some jobs will be very doable, and some will not be doable at all.

CASE BY CASE.

And really - thats what construction is - case by case. No two properties are ever the same. A gazillion scenerios.

Simply put - when re-surfacing of roads and highways - grades are matched. So many variables, it would take hrs of me sittin here peckin away going over scenerios.

greatinmulchbeds
05-12-2011, 08:59 PM
The port of baltimore is all pavers and is on an asphalt base, theres nothing "unprofessional" about it

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
05-12-2011, 09:12 PM
All these ideas are very doable. If you rip out asphalt you will want to use more than a three ton roller. We use a fifteen ton vibratory roller
Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
05-12-2011, 09:37 PM

Another name for Crusher Run dust to 3/4 sometimes also called Dense Graded Aggregate

Stillwater
05-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Must you always rip out the existing base material to install pavers, I have a customer who has an asphalt driveway with item 4 as the base material, not the recycled concrete like every ones using now. I would really hate to rip out such good material. Also the driveway is in near perfect condition, one crack running a mid point from one side to the other. Nothing major and no sinking whats so ever

do yourself a favor and inspect the base thoroughly by hand with a shovel in many locations. Not everyone is using recycled concrete... not around hear anyway...

Bleed Green
05-12-2011, 10:35 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

I've never seen pavers laid over asphalt but I have generally seen them laid over concrete pads or compacted road bed gravel. Maybe it would be the about the same using asphalt as a base though.

JoeyDipetro
05-12-2011, 11:03 PM
I know installing asphalt and pavers over the asphalt at the initial installation is pretty common, but installing pavers over existing asphalt? I didn't know that was a common practice. How do you warranty that? You are building on another contractor's base.

DVS Hardscaper
05-12-2011, 11:29 PM
I know installing asphalt and pavers over the asphalt at the initial installation is pretty common, but installing pavers over existing asphalt? I didn't know that was a common practice. How do you warranty that? You are building on another contractor's base.

No Sweat. Not that dramatic.

Most good asphalt guys know far more about base prep and compaction than any lawn jockey turned padeeo guy could ever begin to dream of.

Joey, when you do paver driveways you are having an asphalt contractor come in and install the aggregate with their asphalt paver, right? How is that any different?

Stillwater
05-13-2011, 01:07 AM

candidates for paver over assfault are ideally areas that are level and currently in excellent condition with no drainage or grade issues arising from the obvious increase of the finished paved height and where a perminate high strength high quality edging can be installed. chosen Patterns require consistent tight joints. warranty's can be written and customized to each individual installation obviously addressing any future base failures or frost heaving. failures will happen when their is a lack of consistent tight jointing, paving over questionable asphault, voids in the edge restraint system, failing to use a filter fabric directly over the asphalt, failing to use bedding materials, failing to seal even the slightest hairline crack in the asphalt and failing to address any potential future migration of bedding during installation. allot of paver manufactures do not warranty their pavers if installed over asphalt that should be considered as well.

DVS Hardscaper
05-13-2011, 06:44 AM
this going over asphalt stuff came up because the initial post made mention of asphalt in good condition.

My point about asphalt is not intended to be made out that everyone set out and start plopping down pavers over asphalt.

In all my years in this bidness we have only had one job where the asphalt was a contender to be left in place. All our other jobs we have removed the asphalt.

JoeyDipetro
05-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Joey, when you do paver driveways you are having an asphalt contractor come in and install the aggregate with their asphalt paver, right? How is that any different?

Well, I would have them offer a warranty on their portion of my installation. If it was there previously, I would not be able to get a warranty and the asphalt would not have been installed as an asphalt/paver application.

JoeyDipetro
05-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Does that make sense to you DVS?

smithsealcoating
06-01-2011, 09:58 PM
www.783seal.com