PDA

View Full Version : merit for grubs and chinch bugs

cutntrim
02-22-2000, 08:44 PM
Merit is new to Ontario. We got it here last year but I didn't use it. I used Diazanon 5g instead. It worked well (some would say too well since it targets just about everything that moves) but I'm curious about Merit. Can one Pre-M application control grubs AND chinch? Or is it's residual effect not that long? How does it compare to Diazanon for kill rates for grubs? I've definately found that Diazanon has been more effective than Clorpyrifos for me. I'm told Merit is applied in lower rates than Diazanon, so is it more cost-effective? <p>Looking forward to your thoughts.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

GroundKprs
02-22-2000, 09:27 PM
Merit will control grubs better than anything, except a new equal, Mach2. Both are systemic, stay in circulatory system of plants for around 3 months. The nice thing is that they must be ingested, so only the guys chewing or sucking the grass are affected.<p>Merit is labelled for grub control and just for hairy chinch bug suppression. Can track down label at &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.nobugs.com/frame.html&quot;&gt;Bayer Chem&lt;/a&gt;.<p>Mach 2, not available to you yet, will control grubs and sod webworm & armyworm. See US label at &lt;a href=&quot; http://www.rohmhaas.com/businesses/AgChem/TOLabels.html&quot;&gt;Mach 2&lt;/a&gt;.<p>Do you have Dylox or Proxol (trichlorfon) available there? It is by far the best for reactive grub control. It penetrates the thatch and soil much better than diazanon and clorpyrifos. When you use clorpyrifos, less than 5% of the AI reaches to the depth the grubs are at; diazanon is slightly better. Only problem with trichlorfon is that if dramatically overwatered, you can wash it right past the grubs.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

cutntrim
02-22-2000, 09:53 PM
Jim,<p>Trichlorfon is registered for use on Spruce Budworm Caterpillers but not for lawn applications for grubs. At least as far as my pesticide product classification material is concerned. It may be outdated by now though, since Merit was not registered either when the Ministry wrote it up.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

coyoteman
12-12-2004, 12:35 PM
I believe diazinon is no longer registered for use on lawns. Unless you were lucky enough to stock pile some with the old label say good bye.