PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some Plants.

Kartanimal29
05-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a customer that is redoing there whole place. The will be painting there house a Slate color and using black mulch. I was wondering if I could here some suggestions on what type of plants would look good with this set up. The house in in CT.

Dr.NewEarth
05-12-2011, 10:49 PM
A picture would help. Have you studied landscape design?
I think all installers would benefit from a night school class.
Some-times you can find a one day intensive study Saturday class.

There are some rules of thumb and principals of design that should be understood.

Also, there is probably an answer to be found here in the design forum.

The average cost of a landscape design where I work is $800 dollars for the first draft.
That might not even include the plant list.
For me, it is a detailed process.
My consulting fee is $70 per hour.
I won't send you a bill. haha

The color scheme sounds kind of plain. How about some boxwood along the sidewalk,
some short perennial shrubs about 8 to 12 inches high at the front of the gardens,
some 3 foot tall perennials (Rhododendron?) closer to the house
and a yew tree on either side of the front door? Be sure to get a male and female,
so you get berries for colour.

Plants look best if you group them in odd numbers. Check your garden center to learn what grows best in your area and the pricing

Pick up some plants in your hand and walk around the store with them to see what looks good next to them.

In your design, Mix in some plants with interesting foliage and yearly colors.

Go to an art supply store and get a color wheel to see what will go togeather.

Shades of Blue give a cooler feeling and make the space look smaller,
reds give a warm feeling and can make an area feel larger for example.

Take a picture of the site, so you can look at it at home. That helps me.
I also measure every-thing...distances, heights, where meters are etc. and draw a map out to scale. Make photocopies of this and use it to plan out where the plants will look best.

Talk to the clients. Find out what they would like. What colours of flowers. Perhaps they have a favorite shrub.

The interview process is part of the design. Good luck

Smallaxe
05-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Depending on the ground space available and from where you want to have the 'view' from will have a lot to do with what you plant, and in what sequence...

Kartanimal29
05-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Dr. , No I have not studied design. This is the first time I have taken on a job of this kind. I think it would be a good idea to take a few classes tho so that I could get familiar with this side of the work. As of now the house still looks like crap due to the owner just signing the papers to the house yesterday. I can take a few pic. today. Thanks for the advice.