PDA

View Full Version : Price on mulch job? 3506 sq feet total

shop's lawn
05-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Looking to see what you guys are charging for 3506 sq feet of hardwood mulch to lay down over existing mulch- Looking for a fresh coat of mulch- Beds have no weeds in them at all. Would you do 1" cover or 2" think cover over existing mulch? thanks much guys!

shovelracer
05-13-2011, 06:44 AM
One million dollars (place pinky finger to lip)

How about you tell us what you would charge...

Dr.NewEarth
05-13-2011, 11:28 AM
That's almost 11 cubic yards @ $30/yd here =$1230.00 plus deliverly say $100

and we have 12%tax so the mulch is about $1500 at one inch thick.

You will have to figure out and add the labour.
I don't know the distance from where the mulch will be dumped or the other site conditions, nor how fast you work.

shop's lawn
05-13-2011, 11:47 AM
One million dollars (place pinky finger to lip)

How about you tell us what you would charge...

Why would you even take the time to post that- I already sent out my bid but is it wrong for a guy to get a idea what people around me or in other states qoutes?

shovelracer
05-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Then you phrase it like this. "I put in a proposal for x amount of mulch, to cover x amount of square feet at x amount deep. My expenses are Y. Am I close to where I should be?"

Instead you asked someone to tell you how deep to put it and how much to charge. We do not install "hardwood" mulch, our quality mulches are $28-48 a yard undelivered and uninstalled, and if someone wants cheaper stuff they will have to look elsewhere.

shop's lawn
05-13-2011, 09:20 PM
I wouldnt do hardwood at my own place either but this is what the customer wants and has right now- they want to keep it this way. It doesnt look bad with the other natural landscaping around the building. I always bid for 2" cover but alot of people seem to be bidding 1" cover around here!

Isobel
05-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Isobel
05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Why would you even take the time to post that- I already sent out my bid but is it wrong for a guy to get a idea what people around me or in other states qoutes?

Well it is wrong to get an idea of what people in your area are charging for materials because it can lead to something called price-fixing.

But it's also tough for other people who haven't seen the job site to know how to price the labor portion. In addition, we don't know how many guys you have, or how fast they work.
Posted via Mobile Device

LB1234
05-17-2011, 08:23 PM
assuming 22 cubic yards heres my pricing...delivered and installed...no edging, no weeding, etc. assumed an approximate 2" depth.

1550...hardwood
1775...dyed mulch
2425....cedar mulch

White Gardens
05-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Instead you asked someone to tell you how deep to put it and how much to charge. We do not install "hardwood" mulch, our quality mulches are $28-48 a yard undelivered and uninstalled, and if someone wants cheaper stuff they will have to look elsewhere.

What's wrong with Hardwood mulch?

andyslawncare
06-02-2011, 10:34 PM
$1370 would be my starting point... You didn't specify how it will be moved, your overhead, profit margin, or anything about the property. Is it downhill, uphill, flat, lots of shrubs or none, established plants or new, how much do you pay for mulch and delivery, etc. Any of our numbers may win or lose the job for you because you didn't specify any needed details needed to bid a job for profit.

andyslawncare
06-02-2011, 10:37 PM
I bid mulch and straw for 2 -3'' depth. Depends on what is below it. You'll have a hard time applying 1'' and effectively covering what is below. My labor rate would go up if I'm instructed to do only 1'', and that is if I took the job at all. 1'' wouldn't meet the quality standard that I live by.

Stillwater
06-03-2011, 09:47 AM

You need to understand that talking price is a sensitive issue with some given the competitive nature. Ending your first post with a statement of what you charged asking how it compares to other areas would have brought a different context to the discussion. You appeared to be asking what to charge without giveing context or provideing needed detail with your question.