PDA

View Full Version : Another doubles question

Big Mow
10-08-2002, 05:07 PM
Mowerconsultant :

I have done a search on double blades on Hustlers (Super Z) and have read the posts on the subject...but I'm still confused.

I want to put doubles on my Super Z 60" in order to mulch up the leaves better.

The opinions seem to be different on which blade to use for the top one. Some say standard high lift blades for both lower and uper and some say standard on lower and Gator on top.

I don't really care about the spring time and the clumping issue, just fall and the leaves.

What do you think?

mowerconsultant
10-08-2002, 07:32 PM
I was talking to a dealer of mine who has a customer that puts a gator (made for the Hustler, Hustler part #782557) on the top and a regular low lift blade off another brand mower on the bottom, I believe the bottom blade was a Bobcat blade, but I am not sure.
I would try that and see how it works in your conditions
I am also not sure if he uses the stock bolt or a longer one.
Private message P&J Lawncare, I believe he has done this, or knows about it, or maybe he will read this post and let us all know.

Hope this helps
Pj

Doc Pete
10-08-2002, 08:34 PM
FWIW,

I have a Hustler 54" WB with a 25 Kaw on it. Using "all Hustler" high lift blades "Justs" starts to really load the motor. I'm fairly sure if you use all Hustler high lifts on a 60" machine, you will not have any reserve to do a good mulching job. However, changing one of the blades to "low lift" makes a big difference, and will offer enough reserve for good Mulching. This combo of blades is best for "mowing and blowing" the lawn all in one operation. This is what I'm running right now.
However, if you really want the best in mulching, and are not interested in blowing off the lawn at the same time "I" (my opinion) would run one set of gator "magnums" and one set of standard gators.The Magnums have very good vacuum and of course will mulch and the standard gators will mulch again.
Pete

P&J Lawncare
10-08-2002, 10:22 PM
I have used different combo's and this is what I have found to work the best
For mulching I use a gator (made for hustler) up top and a standard scag blade on the bottom.
For residentials I use a bobcat high lift offset on top and a scag standard blade on the bottom, I use this combo on residentials because it keeps both blades level with each other (the high lift is offset just enough so that it runs level with the lower standard scag blade) and it throughs the grass high and it doesn't throw it to far (mulch beds and houses are kept clean)
For big accounts and heavy grass I use two offset high lift bobcat blades stacked together and this is the most impressive combo of them all it throws the grass a mile and it disperses the grass better than any other combo by far, the only downfall is it throughs it to far and you have to watch for mulch beds and buildings. I haven't used this combo to mulch yet but I believe that this would do a excellent job of it.
I dont use hustler blades when I run doubles because they are bigger and heavier than most standard blades making them to heavy for doubles (the high lift offset blades from bobcat are the same as hustler blades but they are thinner and not as wide)
The only thing better than a hustler is a hustler with doubles on it so have fun.

Doc Pete
10-09-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by P&J Lawncare
The only thing better than a hustler is a hustler with doubles on it so have fun.

AND, have the hired help use it while you just sit back collect the money:D
Sorry.... thought this forum needed a bit more humor;)

High lift Hustler doubles are so strong they let me blow off all the walks and driveways and street at a job, without breaking out the backpack......

Big Mow
10-09-2002, 04:24 PM
OK guys.....thanks so much for the input. That' what I enjoy out of this site; immediate feedback and lots of it.

I was hoping to keep the use of the standard blades that came with the mower (hate to spend extra money, ya know?). But it looks like I'll go with the experienced and get some different blades. Gators, Scags and Bobcats. That ought to do it. I guess at least now I can experiment on my own.

Thanks again.

Mow