PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tire Prices

ed2hess
05-13-2011, 08:40 PM
I am going thru these Carlisle ST205/75R15 tires like they are made of putty. Now Discount tires is loading all kind of extra stuff on so their tires run around $125. Northern Tool has the tire and rim for $100 but don't seem to have the 5 lug kind. Anybody got any sources..?

SNAPPER MAN
05-13-2011, 08:49 PM
I get mine from my trailer dealer and I can get the 5 lug radials with rims for $120 a piece. Way better than the tires from discount tire.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
05-14-2011, 12:28 AM
I am going thru these Carlisle ST205/75R15 tires like they are made of putty. Now Discount tires is loading all kind of extra stuff on so their tires run around $125. Northern Tool has the tire and rim for $100 but don't seem to have the 5 lug kind. Anybody got any sources..?

I don't know how you do it. I ran many trailers with passenger tires before finally buying a trailer with real trailer tires. They were a Chinese special and lasted just about 2000 miles. Absolutely horrible. I then put Carlisles on it, then Maxxis, then a set of Goodyears. None were great, but I suppose the Maxxis lasted slightly longer.

I'm back to passenger tires now. But I have heard good things about the Cooper trailer tire. They are just nearly impossible to get here locally.

ffemt1271
05-14-2011, 03:05 AM
my lil toyota pickup has the same size tires as my trailer, so when i need some i put the new ones on my truck and keep the old ones to go on my trailer

GarPA
05-14-2011, 06:58 AM
I too have tried all the brands....and faithfully TWICE a week check the tire pressure.....and still they wear out at a ridiculously fast rate.....of all the things we have to spend money on in this business to keep stuff running, trailer tires are by far the biggest ripoff

knox gsl
05-14-2011, 10:02 AM
I've gotten about 12, 000 miles out of mine so far and will last the rest of the season. I just make sure that I have 45psi in them.
Posted via Mobile Device

nobagger
05-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I would check a few things, is the trailer level when hooked up, how many tight turns do you do in a day. These were 2 things we came across with one of our trailer's. We went through a set of rear (on a tandem) a season. We just get ours from a tire dealer, we just use whatever name brand he has and so far we've paid no more than 85.00 for just the tire.

ed2hess
05-15-2011, 06:45 PM
I too have tried all the brands....and faithfully TWICE a week check the tire pressure.....and still they wear out at a ridiculously fast rate.....of all the things we have to spend money on in this business to keep stuff running, trailer tires are by far the biggest ripoff

I agree with that completely ...We have 32 tires on the ground and half will be replaced each year .

supercuts
05-15-2011, 09:37 PM
they were not st, but lowes had them on rims for $99.00 a piece. I hate trailer tires. goodyears are garbage. ive been using roadstar or roadmaster, i forget, still $105 ea. my turf tiger tires were $120 each! the front tires on my bob-cat predator pro were $55!! cant win, i think i bought 11 trailer tires last year, two sets of rear tires for ZTR's and one front set. oh, and 4 for my new truck, 2 for the old truck, and 1 front for the F550

ed2hess
05-15-2011, 10:27 PM
they were not st, but lowes had them on rims for $99.00 a piece. I hate trailer tires. goodyears are garbage. ive been using roadstar or roadmaster, i forget, still $105 ea. my turf tiger tires were $120 each! the front tires on my bob-cat predator pro were $55!! cant win, i think i bought 11 trailer tires last year, two sets of rear tires for ZTR's and one front set. oh, and 4 for my new truck, 2 for the old truck, and 1 front for the F550

Yep....I forget about all our personal car tires and the mower tires I bet it would be like 200 tires rolling along. One good thing I started doing my own plugs finally and you can bet my Tirf Tiger tires will be plugged until hell freezes over.

ant
05-15-2011, 11:35 PM
where are they wearing? mine was chopping on the inside and that told me that i was over loaded.. i got mine from lowes on the rim for 200 for the set.

jetta
05-16-2011, 10:37 AM
passenger tires have weak sidewalls and the enclosed trailer i haul sways

Keith
05-16-2011, 12:44 PM
I can see your point on an enclosed trailer, or a heavy open trailer, or even hauling long distances. But on a 16' open, total weight of 4k lb or so, local routes, I just can't see the point of throwing money down the drain.

Someone mentioned the tight turns killing the trailer tires. That probably about explains it.

ed2hess
05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Here is the condition of my spare and one of better tires running. By the way to the guy that runs passenger tires I got one of those and I'll show you what it looks like when I take it off. It is in state of co ming apart.

supercuts
05-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Yep....I forget about all our personal car tires and the mower tires I bet it would be like 200 tires rolling along. One good thing I started doing my own plugs finally and you can bet my Tirf Tiger tires will be plugged until hell freezes over.

Come on..you didnt plug your tires until recently??? please tell me you sharpen your blades! I cant believe how many commercial guys dont even do that. I have a hard enough time with bills as it is. Can't imagine adding in all those nickle n' dime costs. I had a tire going soft on my F550, went to plug it, found 3 nails. then 2 in one tire on the trailer. it never ends. last fall my newest trailer tire gashed open the sidewall, only a few days old. there is good luck, bad luck, then my luck!

ed2hess
05-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Come on..you didnt plug your tires until recently??? please tell me you sharpen your blades! I cant believe how many commercial guys dont even do that. I have a hard enough time with bills as it is. Can't imagine adding in all those nickle n' dime costs. I had a tire going soft on my F550, went to plug it, found 3 nails. then 2 in one tire on the trailer. it never ends. last fall my newest trailer tire gashed open the sidewall, only a few days old. there is good luck, bad luck, then my luck!

Saddly I didn't plug tires because discount was doing it free. I realized one day when I had a flat on the Scag that it was a waste of time just plug the dam thing and drive on. I do sharpen blades but I just got a tool for sharpening chain saw blades. Now when I see a nail in a tire I plug it right on the trailer and add a little air. Taking stuff to shops takes tooo much time jsut do it myself, that is why I repair most of my stuff.

knox gsl
05-16-2011, 10:57 PM
I seem to have good luck with tires and usually get good service from them, haven't had to plug a mower tire in a couple of years and truck tires seem to last me about 50K trailers go about 15K. The most I've gotten out of a full set of tires was a set of Michelins on a Freightliner, 330,000 miles, never even had one of them patched.

ed2hess
05-17-2011, 10:52 PM
I seem to have good luck with tires and usually get good service from them, haven't had to plug a mower tire in a couple of years and truck tires seem to last me about 50K trailers go about 15K. The most I've gotten out of a full set of tires was a set of Michelins on a Freightliner, 330,000 miles, never even had one of them patched.

The trailer tires go about 5000 miles ......must be the temperture because it sure isn't speed or the load.

knox gsl
05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
The trailer tires go about 5000 miles ......must be the temperture because it sure isn't speed or the load.

Well I got to looking at mine today and I've got a nail in one, but it also has developed a bulge in the tread so I'm replacing them as I'm feeling as if its near the end. I still feel as if I've gotten good service out of them with 12,000 miles and in 3 years, also have about 1/4 tread left. I was really hoping to finish the season out on them but its not worth ripping a fender up, or extra down time. I will be replacing them with load range D tires even though its a 7K trailer as they are only $9 more per tire. The total installed with tax is $94 per tire.

I am also running a much smaller operation than you with me being the main driver of my truck and mowers. Things seem to last longer and get serviced better if you are the one paying for them.

Kelly's Landscaping
05-21-2011, 12:40 AM
I like my Goodyear marathons the size I get is 225 75 r15 with a D load rating. So 4 can carry just over 10000 pounds. But they cost about 140 dollars a pop around here you can get them cheaper online but how do you get them mounted is the question. But we get 2 seasons a set sometimes a little more so 10-15,000 miles sounds about right. Never fails you buy new tires and almost the same month you come back with a nail in it when you haven't got one in half a year.

supercuts
05-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Saddly I didn't plug tires because discount was doing it free. I realized one day when I had a flat on the Scag that it was a waste of time just plug the dam thing and drive on. I do sharpen blades but I just got a tool for sharpening chain saw blades. Now when I see a nail in a tire I plug it right on the trailer and add a little air. Taking stuff to shops takes tooo much time jsut do it myself, that is why I repair most of my stuff.

didnt mean to bust your chops too bad. once you learn how easy some things are is amazing to see the time savings which is your opportunity costs. I bought an oregon chain saw sharpen 10 years ago after waiting months for 5 chains that would only take "1 week" to sharpen. the time i waited was crazy not to mention the 4 trips i made trying to pick them up.