PDA

View Full Version : first walk

cutbetterthanyou
05-13-2011, 10:15 PM
This is my first walkway so be easy on me. Tell me what you think, and if you see anything wrong with it. It is geotextile, then 6-8 iches of compacted cr6, concrete sand pavers, then polymric sand for the joints, and edge restraint.

White Gardens
05-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Too many curves for my liking. Keep it simple and elegant.

tslandscaping
05-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Those are some crazy curves. You want your curves to flow nicely. It's one thing to add a radius to give your landscape some dimension but your walkway runs all over the place, for no reason whatsoever.

It looks like your cuts are nice and clean and everything seems to be laid out smooth. If you want real feedback post some of the pictures of the work in progress.

cutbetterthanyou
05-13-2011, 11:11 PM
I never took any of the work in progress. I actually agree with the to many curves, but that is how the homeowner wanted it he actaully helped me on part of the job. He laid out the shape because i wanted to make sure it was what he and his wife wanted. Its what his wife wanted any she loved it. I was alot of cuts. Thanks for the input

DVS Hardscaper
05-14-2011, 12:03 AM
I see some flaws.

But the biggest thing that stands out is: "that's what the customer wanted" Never EVER justisy lack of experience / wisdom / competency / knowledge as "that's what the customer wanted"

The spelling in the opening post is concerning. I hope your proposal for the job has the correct spellings and terminology.

JoeyDipetro
05-14-2011, 01:04 AM
I see some flaws.

But the biggest thing that stands out is: "that's what the customer wanted" Never EVER justisy lack of experience / wisdom / competency / knowledge as "that's what the customer wanted"

The spelling in the opening post is concerning. I hope your proposal for the job has the correct spellings and terminology.

When it comes to structural considerations, I agree with you. However, when it comes to subjective, aesthetic issues, then I can't disagree more. Personal preference is personal preference. If something doesn't compromise the integrity of an application then who cares if the customer gets what they "want."

cutbetterthanyou
05-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I see some flaws.

The spelling in the opening post is concerning. I hope your proposal for the job has the correct spellings and terminology

I didn't do a written proposal. This was a job for one of my best friends. I just gave him a price. He knew that i had never done one before, but was willing to give me a chance. The patio that i posted last summer was the same kind of deal. I am really trying to get my feet wet before i take on other jobs. The experience / wisdom / competency / knowledge has not been gained yet so who am i to argue? You said that you see some other flaws can you point them out? I am not going to get mad, i would like to know so i don't do them on the next job. I see some myself, but i would like to see what others see.

cutbetterthanyou
05-14-2011, 09:34 AM
If someone don't mind, wound you take my picture, and draw over top of it to show me how you all would have curved it? Keep in mind the portion in the last pic has to funnel down and out. The half circle in the third pic has to be that way she wants to put a big flower pot there.

DVS Hardscaper
05-14-2011, 09:41 AM
When it comes to structural considerations, I agree with you. However, when it comes to subjective, aesthetic issues, then I can't disagree more. Personal preference is personal preference. If something doesn't compromise the integrity of an application then who cares if the customer gets what they "want."

Joesph, thanks for following along with me and for being a fan of my posts :weightlifter:

Joseph, please understand that when pictures are posted, if I respond, I HAVE studied the photos closely. And my statements are based on what I see.

Joesph, take a very very close look at the photos. A very close look. There is nasty looking flow. And no. I dont mean the curves. Take a close look, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Landscaping is all about asthetics. We don't need radiused walks. Infact, we don't even need walks. We don't need green lawns. We don't need colorful beds. We don't need driveways lined with trees. But that's how Amercan socitey is.

If was only about structure - then a slab of concrete would suffiice. And this is 1/2 the cost of pavers!!!!

So yes, asthetics is 50% of the outdoors.

So Joesph, I realize you're on a kick to argue here with me. But I kindly ask that you please read my award winning statements with a different mindset and get that negative bone out of your head :cool2: I would love to see you offer some pointers in your responses and share your knowledge and experiences :usflag:

Customers know what they like to see, but they do not know what they want. And this is why we have contractors of quality and competency and why we have contractors that really should be working the counter at a rental store instead. To constantly state "thats what the customer wanted" is a cop-out for "I don't know what I'm doing and I don't know how to think for the customer". It's funny, as I have a buddy that owns a kitchen and bath business and not I, but HE brought this subject up just this past Thursday morning on the phone!!!

DVS Hardscaper
05-14-2011, 09:42 AM
If someone don't mind, wound you take my picture, and draw over top of it to show me how you all would have curved it? Keep in mind the portion in the last pic has to funnel down and out. The half circle in the third pic has to be that way she wants to put a big flower pot there.

And it's that 1/2 circle with the pocket that is choppy :)

DVS Hardscaper
05-14-2011, 09:52 AM
To the topic creator - the walk does not look bad.

but we cant really see anything to really make a judgement. I have a buddy that owns an asphalt paving biz. He always says "a driveway is only as good as what's underneath".

Same goes for interlocking pavers.

In one pic I am concerned that you may not have hardly any shoulder under the pavers. I see something that makes me think the base is cut too short. Thus - it has no shoulder.

Other than that - we can't see much :)

Bru75
05-14-2011, 11:05 AM
If someone don't mind, wound you take my picture, and draw over top of it to show me how you all would have curved it?

This particular part stands out to me:

cutbetterthanyou
05-14-2011, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=DVS Hardscaper;4027367]To the topic creator - the walk does not look bad.

but we cant really see anything to really make a judgement. I have a buddy that owns an asphalt paving biz. He always says "a driveway is only as good as what's underneath".

Same goes for interlocking pavers.

In one pic I am concerned that you may not have hardly any shoulder under the pavers. I see something that makes me think the base is cut too short. Thus - it has no shoulder.

Other than that - we can't see much :)

As far as the base i cut the whole area out with a skid steer.I came in from the driveway and cut out the lenght then came in from the yard going to the steps and cut that out. The skid bucket is 66 inchs wide. Once it was cut out i filled it all with base. I feel if anything i wasted money on to much base there is over 20 tons of cr6 under there in compacted 2 inch lifts with a wacker 1550 plate tamp. When you refer to the shoulder i assume your refering to how much the base goes out past the edge restrant. If so the smallest is about 6 inchs past the edge,in some spots alot more. . Was that how it should have been done.

cutbetterthanyou
05-14-2011, 11:37 AM
This particular part stands out to me:

That is almost exactly how we had it laid out the first time ,but the flower bed side just something don't look right. It doesn't flow right its like it has a straight spot in it.

jonesy5149
05-14-2011, 12:57 PM
As far as the base i cut the whole area out with a skid steer.I came in from the driveway and cut out the lenght then came in from the yard going to the steps and cut that out. The skid bucket is 66 inchs wide. Once it was cut out i filled it all with base. I feel if anything i wasted money on to much base there is over 20 tons of cr6 under there in compacted 2 inch lifts with a wacker 1550 plate tamp. When you refer to the shoulder i assume your refering to how much the base goes out past the edge restrant. If so the smallest is about 6 inchs past the edge,in some spots alot more. . Was that how it should have been done.[/QUOTE] (weird)

This is my first walkway so be easy on me. Tell me what you think, and if you see anything wrong with it. It is geotextile, then 6-8 iches of compacted cr6, concrete sand pavers, then polymric sand for the joints, and edge restraint. (weird)
just maybe i have some fuzzy math but say this is 45' long and 6' wide and .66 deep (8") lets say 7 yards (11 ton) Then x 1.25 compact 8 yards 12 ton Like i said WEIRD
The walk way looks like you have the right idear (BUT) the curves are gross.
They will have to trim this unless they drive right over it with the mower!
You are right about the customer being right but you also tell them the work and maintenance in this idea. More work for them. Or you if you are taking care of it. The plants that are in the landscaping area will have to be small.
If there is a plant that gets to big the small part of the walk way will look even smaller. great start just make it simple and Flow to the door not get lost on your way to the door.

zedosix
05-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Way too many curves for such a short distance, I would of used one gentle curve on a walkway that long. Your cutting is a bit rough as well, but considering its your first then not bad. I'll also repeat.. forget what the customer wants, usually they have no clue on design.

As an example, here is one we did a # of years back its over 50' long and only a couple of curves. Someone said "keep it simple" and I agree.

cutbetterthanyou
05-14-2011, 07:19 PM
[ just maybe i have some fuzzy math but say this is 45' long and 6' wide and .66 deep (8") lets say 7 yards (11 ton) Then x 1.25 compact 8 yards 12 ton Like i said WEIRD

The walk is roughly 25 feet long by 5 feet wide. I ordered 10 tons to be delevered to start and was just going to get a few more if needed with my 1 ton dump.10 tons got me about half way.I got 10 more and had 2 bucket fulls left over. It may be deeper than 8 inchs. Or maybe i got shorted.

They will have to trim this unless they drive right over it with the mower!
That was one thing that they requested was to bring the dirt to grade so they could drive there mower over it.

cutbetterthanyou
05-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Way too many curves for such a short distance, I would of used one gentle curve on a walkway that long. Your cutting is a bit rough as well, but considering its your first then not bad. I'll also repeat.. forget what the customer wants, usually they have no clue on design.

As an example, here is one we did a # of years back its over 50' long and only a couple of curves. Someone said "keep it simple" and I agree.

What metheod do you use to cut pavers. I took the icpi class ,but that is something they don't teach. Straight cuts i used a gas powered cut off saw with a 12-14 inch wheel. Anything curved i used a 4 inch electric grinder with a diamond wheel then hit the side i wasn't useing with a hammer to knock it off. Do you lay out the border then cut the inside to fit, or cut in place and make the border fit?

I like your work i wish mine had turned out that good.

Bru75
05-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Don't be hard on yourself, Zedo's been doing this a while.
Yours just needs a few adjustments.

zedosix
05-14-2011, 11:26 PM
What metheod do you use to cut pavers. I took the icpi class ,but that is something they don't teach. Straight cuts i used a gas powered cut off saw with a 12-14 inch wheel. Anything curved i used a 4 inch electric grinder with a diamond wheel then hit the side i wasn't useing with a hammer to knock it off. Do you lay out the border then cut the inside to fit, or cut in place and make the border fit?

Actually neither of those methods, we overlay the sides, layout our snap edge to the desired curve, then mark it with pencil or chalk,
bring to a 14" wet saw, then soldier gets placed in. The cut in place is fine for you younger guys with good backs.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Actually neither of those methods, we overlay the sides, layout our snap edge to the desired curve, then mark it with pencil or chalk,
bring to a 14" wet saw, then soldier gets placed in. The cut in place is fine for you younger guys with good backs.

and respirators.

DVS Hardscaper
05-15-2011, 12:15 AM
yesah. we plop the pavers in place. connect 2-3 SnapEdge together, and mark a line with a pencil.

We seldom cut the perimeter with a hand held saw. Usually we use a table saw. Perfection.

cutbetterthanyou
05-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Just curious the picture you posted. If all the base and sand was in, around about, how long would it take you to lay out and cut what is shown?

zedosix
05-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Just curious the picture you posted. If all the base and sand was in, around about, how long would it take you to lay out and cut what is shown?

I would guesstimate that with 3 men on site, to lay out the snap edge, mark, cut, place the border and the curbs would take 6 hours.

jdo150
05-15-2011, 10:08 PM
I would guesstimate that with 3 men on site, to lay out the snap edge, mark, cut, place the border and the curbs would take 6 hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

NJ Grass
05-20-2011, 10:12 PM
I think it's awesome for your first walk, and if it's what the customer wanted then it's perfect.
Posted via Mobile Device

NJ Grass
05-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
05-21-2011, 12:18 AM
i think it's awesome for your first walk, and if it's what the customer wanted then it's perfect.
posted via mobile device

freightening...

NJ Grass
05-21-2011, 12:41 AM
DVS I really didn't want to start trouble on this post but after reading your arrogant posts and now seeing you have nothing better to do but troll on thes forums I've got to say, you are the exact kind of guy I get all my new clients from. Your so caught up with what's right in your eyes you forget who puts the food on the table for your family ( your customers)

All In all you sound like an arrogant uneducated thug that only knows how to lay bricks. This guy asked for some constructive criticism and you could do nothing less than put down his first job for grammar mistakes. You are why people look DowN
On people in this industry. Great you can lay bricks like a god, I admire that truly. You need to get some class though pal. You sound so arrogant, amazing your still in business.
Posted via Mobile Device