PDA

View Full Version : Landscape design for mom. Need input

johnyredd99
05-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Usually I dont design anything.. I'll mow, mulch, prune, etc but design im no good. But, Mom got the wall put in front of her house and needs help. Not talking it over before hand she didnt realize you cant just throw hardscape in and think it will magically look great. although the wall does. 2 years later its this.

measurment are 70 ft. long by 13 ft. wide at the widest. I am going to bring in 30 yards of topsoil to fill to just below sidewalk. The house is in SE Pa. so we have 4 seasons and like all design i hope it would look good for most of the time.
So if anyone could please throw some ideas out or if your a designer or know of someone decent in the area that could please please let me know. I hate working for mom more then any other customer. You know how it goes she gets stressed out then you get stressed out and its like wtf i cant even charge you for this stress thanks mom.
so please and thank you in advance

agrostis
05-13-2011, 10:56 PM
I really like that stone look. There is a lot of potential there. You could get 3 seasons of color in S.E. PA. How much sun does that area get? How much money are you willing to spend on this project?

knox gsl
05-13-2011, 10:59 PM
I really like that stone look. There is a lot of potential there. You could get 3 seasons of color in S.E. PA. How much sun does that area get? How much money are you willing to spend on this project?

Also what zone are you in? BTW I love that house.

johnyredd99
05-14-2011, 12:29 AM
thank you. The house is beautiful. the property, after many many years and hours has come from ruins to riches. located just outside of philadelphia and she is willing to spend about a grand on plantings.
hopefully that budget would be enough
thank you

32vld
05-14-2011, 11:49 AM
First get rid of those flower pots on the porch. The porch is not that deep to start with and the only restrict traffic flow.

Second if things were planted in the bed they would be blocked and not seen.

Next does your mom favor shrubs or flowers?

Color is needed so I would plant some azaleas in front of the porch. All one color. Prune to keep low enough to not block light onto the porch and block view.

Then were the full stone wall on each side of the window place a rhododendron. They can be allowed to grow higher nothing for them to block. Place them towards the back of the bed so you can put in some low growing flowers in front of them.

The groupings can be their own color but will give the bed three total colors.

And remember beds can be planted in stages. Things can be added and removed over the years. Every inch does not have to be planted all at once.

Rather in the beginning let this be a fun exploring experience. Take mom out a nursery and a lunch around beginning of every May and buy her a plant/s for mom day.

johnyredd99
05-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Take mom out a nursery and a lunch around beginning of every May and buy her a plant/s for mom day.

thank you for the great idea. topsoil should be there on monday to fill and then this weekend we will go pick some things out. she will love it.

tailboardtech
05-27-2011, 09:29 PM
the wall looks good, i would stick with smaller shrubs and plants, and use a river stone for surfacing. i might add get rid of the bush/tree by the well it will save you a heap of trouble in a few years. it can root bound the well casing and/or break the water line.