PDA

View Full Version : mom needs help w/ design. i have no imagination

johnyredd99
05-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Usually I dont design anything.. I'll mow, mulch, prune, etc but design im no good. But, Mom got the wall put in front of her house and needs help. Not talking it over before hand she didnt realize you cant just throw hardscape in and think it will magically look great. although the wall does. 2 years later its this.

measurment are 70 ft. long by 13 ft. wide at the widest. I am going to bring in 30 yards of topsoil to fill to just below sidewalk. The house is in SE Pa. so we have 4 seasons and like all design i hope it would look good for most of the time.
So if anyone could please throw some ideas out or if your a designer or know of someone decent in the area that could please please let me know. I hate working for mom more then any other customer. You know how it goes she gets stressed out then you get stressed out and its like wtf i cant even charge you for this stress thanks mom.
so please and thank you in advance

BrandonV
05-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Ake sure things are waterproofed next to that house or you going to be in trouble with mom
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
05-30-2011, 02:06 AM
Drainage behind the wall would be my next concern.

Glenn Lawn Care
05-31-2011, 04:55 PM
I would either put shrubs like honey suckles or spireas in there... or some pereinnals like karl foster grasses or lillys with mulch that accents the house.

shovelracer
05-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Maybe look for a small decorative tree for the left side, and a specimen miniature weeping for in front of the door. Fill the rest with various shrubs, and mix in a bunch of perennials. Sedums, Yucca, Daisy, Black Eyed Susan, Coneflower, Salvia, Lavender,Lillies, Spirea, St. johns Wort, Leucothoe, Juniper, Boxwood, etc. Sort of hard to grasp the actual size from the pics.

I would definitely not just back fill that with topsoil. You need to run drainage behind the wall, and probably should along the house as well. I also would not bury the deck fascia boards if it is wood, but I cant tell from here.

White Gardens
06-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Just threw this together for giggles. Not a whole lot of thought put into it, but you get the idea.

Puddle of Oil
06-05-2011, 05:30 PM
that looks nice!

c landscaping
06-05-2011, 05:46 PM
White Gardens what program do you use to do that it looks very good

White Gardens
06-05-2011, 11:09 PM
that looks nice!

Thanks, but really I didn't put any effort into it. I was just throwing some stuff in there for a visual. It looks a little stale in my eyes, needs some more variety of perennials in there.

White Gardens what program do you use to do that it looks very good

Pro Landscape Image Editor by Drafix. There's a sticky thread on the program at the top of this forum. I'm still using version 12, and I think it's close to version 20 now. I'm just waiting to get a new CPU before I upgrade.

YardGal
06-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I like it! When can I move in?? :)

Critical Care
06-19-2011, 01:06 PM
I think that you may want to break up a row of shrubs and plants that all have a uniform height with something different, such as a narrow weeping atlas cedar placed where it does not block a window. In addition, the use of a landscape boulder partially buried in the soil between plantings along the entrance can create a natural flavor, break up mass plantings, and add interest to people approaching the front door.