PDA

View Full Version : Year-round Begonias for shade

Florida Gardener
05-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Yo

I need some other suggestions besides Begonia odorata 'alba' for a shaded area that will be year round with red flowers.....

I will use the alba, but need more color....

OR

other shade tolerant flowering plants

Florida Gardener
05-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Need a vine that can climb a banyan for shade that wont be too aggresive with too much maintenance....NEEDS FLOWERS!

Ric
05-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Yo

I need some other suggestions besides Begonia odorata 'alba' for a shaded area that will be year round with red flowers.....

I will use the alba, but need more color....

OR

other shade tolerant flowering plants

Impatients

Wedelia

Beach Sun Flower

Peace Lilly

Dwarf Ruellia

Bromeliads

Shade and Flowers just don't mix.

You might try varying texture and shades of green color.

fl-landscapes
05-14-2011, 08:17 PM
coleus is a good way to get some color in the shade BUT its an annual so it wont fit your needs.

Florida Gardener
05-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Ric not quite sure beach sunflower works in shade....although it is a great plant.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
05-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Ric not quite sure beach sunflower works in shade....although it is a great plant.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

The very name gave it away as a full sun plant, but I had to see if you were paying attention.

Croton and Earth Star has some varigated leaves for year round color

False Heather

Florida Gardener
05-14-2011, 09:29 PM
I have actually seem wodelia do great in shade.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
05-14-2011, 09:52 PM
I have actually seem wodelia do great in shade.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

It is spelled Wedelia and I already listed it.

Florida Gardener
05-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks teach, I know that I was just saying that as an FYI to your listing.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
05-15-2011, 04:22 PM

Consider 'Mona Lavender' (http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/plectranmonlav.htm) as an option with much color and few maintenance requirements. In flower beds with filtered sunlight it works extremely well as a background for Sweet Potato Vine (chartreuse).

Another similar combination would be 'Persian Shield (http://www.floridata.com/ref/s/stro_dye.cfm)' with the same ornamental vine. Here's an example of the contrast:

http://www.floridafriendlyplants.com/Blog/image.axd?picture=WindowsLiveWriter/Onepotatotwopotatothreepotatofour_A009/Ornamental%20Sweet%20Potato%20Persian%20Shaield%20Combo_2.jpg

Agapanthus also does well in partial shade. Tight massing is recommended for impact.

Being in S. FL. you should also look into heliconias and bromedias. There's a huge selection within those two genus.

Florida Gardener
05-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Green thanks for the suggestions. Customer wants flowers though. I have used Mona lavender in the landscape in filtered/partial sun and didn't have good luck with it. I think it is really best suited for pots. I know there are a lot of different begonias I just need to know which ones will work in the landscape besides albas.
Posted via Mobile Device

Plantculture
05-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Go to the Society of the Four Arts garden on Palm Beach and see in person.

GreenT
05-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Green thanks for the suggestions. Customer wants flowers though.

No problem, at least I gave it a shot.

As far as customers wanting flowers for shaded areas, sometimes as professionals we have to do a little bit of educating in regards to the many other options available and there's a good chance that after seeing the possibilities some may actually agree. Or not. :)

Anyway, the reason I responded is that I'm partial to shady gardens. I know it's a matter of preference but imo shade offers more possibilities to play with color, shapes, and textures. Anything variegated looks better in the shade, colors have more impact.

In the right combination, and beyond the ones I listed before, coleus, impatients, hydrangeas, gingers, caladiums, colocasias, etc, can make a great display that will put a bunch of begonias to shame. Something most customers are not aware of.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3591/3498703994_6612356672.jpg

Sorry about the rambling but like I said, I'm partial to shade... :)

I'll disappear now. :waving:

Florida Gardener
05-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Green I am with you. Shade gardens offer so much unique stuff. Plus, lower maintenance in regard to pruning which is great. You ever use graptophyllum pictum?? That is a cool plant. What is your experience with Mona lavender in the ground vs pots??
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
05-16-2011, 11:41 PM
You ever use graptophyllum pictum?? That is a cool plant.

It is but it doesn't do well up here.

What is your experience with Mona lavender in the ground vs pots??

Never had it in pots. Here in NC FL, does very well in full shade and few other plants offer the color and flowers it does. The closer it gets to direct sun, the more the flowers fade and blooms do slow down a bit around August in my experience.

I've been using it for over three years on my clients and no complaints or problems yet.

Florida Gardener
05-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Interesting, I didn't have good luck with them. I talked to another landscaper here and he said he got them to go three years but they had to apply liquid fertilizer every month. Yea, the pictums defoliated here during this past winter but they are coming back just fine. I have them behind some odorata albas at a property and the combo is awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device