PDA

View Full Version : NYS CDL On Road Test

MDLawn
05-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Not sure if other states are similar but wondering what the pre-trip and on road portion of the test is like? I was reading the manual from the NYSDMV site but there is sooo much on tractor trailers that would not apply to a pickup dump and dump trailer (air brakes, 5th wheel, etc...) Just curious if anyone can shed some light on what goes on with the Pre Trip Inspection (External/Internal) and then the road skills test portion with a similar combo vehicle. Thanks!

burns
05-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Not sure if other states are similar but wondering what the pre-trip and on road portion of the test is like? I was reading the manual from the NYSDMV site but there is sooo much on tractor trailers that would not apply to a pickup dump and dump trailer (air brakes, 5th wheel, etc...) Just curious if anyone can shed some light on what goes on with the Pre Trip Inspection (External/Internal) and then the road skills test portion with a similar combo vehicle. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

burns
05-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Im in ct and we go by weight..how heavy are you gonna be
Posted via Mobile Device

MDLawn
05-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Well if I got a dump truck or DRW pickup the combo with a 14k trailer would be over 26k, which requires a CDL.
Posted via Mobile Device

burns
05-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Well if I got a dump truck or DRW pickup the combo with a 14k trailer would be over 26k, which requires a CDL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

burns
05-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Ok same as us well in ct you have to take the test for a class A or class 1 whatever ny calls it to be qualified for that vehicle and ct will make you take the full deal...fifth wheel air brakes etc.. reason I know is I got my A a few years back through my job on a f550 and trailer but that was only because I already gad mt class B so had the air brakes and eveeything else but when I asked the inspector if anyone could do it that way he said no they have to go through the whole deal unless already carrying a class B but ny may be different..hope that helps
Posted via Mobile Device

tuney443
05-24-2011, 01:34 AM

I have a Class A CDL in NY.Read and re read your manual very carefully.Just delete from it anything that doesn't pertain to your combo for the pre trip inspection.Most inspectors will want to see that you have thorough knowledge of your hitch,safety chains,and most important your break away battery and trailer braking.The road test will be just like described in the manual so be prepared.It's not difficult if you stay focused and don't get flustered. Good luck.