PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed VS open trailer

205mx
05-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Hey guys, i have a question for you... I am currently moving in to an apartment; i have a 6x12 open utility trailer that i run my business out of. i paid 700 for it. i found a nice 6x12 enclosed trailer for 1200 and am thinking about buying it and selling my open trailer.

my only issue would be for mulch. when a client requests that i mulch i simply have them load it on to the back of my trailer. i am thinking i will spend 3-500 on a smaller open trailer that i can use to do all of my mulching with seperately. im not sure what to do. i wanted to get the pros/cons of them both... from people who have used them both. i dont do a lot of mulching but i do some. i also figured i can just have them load it into the bed of the truck.

Patriot Services
05-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Bagged mulch maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device

cuttin-to-the-Max
05-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Bagged mulch maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device

Personally i hate bagged mulch unless its literally for just around a mail box or something! Just spread 35yds of painted pine today.... I can say it would have been 10x worse if it was bags! OBVIOUSLY!

I have a dump truck and a dump trailer that i use for mulch and other material.
In your case i guess a dump insert would be best for you if you have a pickup.
even if you get that crappy load unloader.. i bet it wouldnt even unload 3 yards of mulch!

blk90s13
05-14-2011, 08:54 PM
How much mulch can you fit on your trailer ? can you just use the truck bed ?

G. Ramey
05-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Buy the enclosed and keep the open trailer too. you will always have days you need an open trailer, but that enclosed will keep your equipment safe and in good condition.

Patriot Services
05-14-2011, 08:59 PM
The OP is moving into an apartment. It sounds like he doesn't have the space for equipment. I doubt the apt management will let him park any trailer on the property.
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
05-14-2011, 09:16 PM
I vote for keep the old trailer as a backup and to haul bulk materials and debris.

eastportstar
05-14-2011, 09:52 PM
i'd just have the mulch delivered. unless it's like 1 yard. then use bagged. if you buy a decent amount from the same place during the season, the mulch supplier should'nt charge too much for delivery.

205mx
05-14-2011, 11:07 PM
thanks for all of the replies.
i thought about buying maybe a smaller ones for the days that i have people wanting mulch spread... just charge a little extra for maybe a special trip or something. i dont know. thanks guys!

360ci
05-15-2011, 09:03 AM
It's not the best shot but my small utility can handle 2yds of mulch, 2000lb weight handling (limited by tires, not the axle). 2' high barnboard sides. For finer mulches I'll stand up some plywood inside the trailer walls allowing me to carry up to 2.5yrds if the moisture content is low (weight...). It's great for dump runs, delivering mulch, or taking to the bush to collect fire wood. The side and rear panel is removable so if I have to I can strap down a half skid of bricks or lumber from the yard. The trailer has a solid 6 bolt Dodge axle.

http://biodsl.com/images/kijiji3.jpg