PDA

View Full Version : Edging of flower beds

Badgerland
05-14-2011, 08:41 PM
I am new to business ownership but not to the industry. It has been a good 8 years. I am pleased to say I have been getting swamped with calls! I bid a bed edging job at $.40 per linear foot times 609 feet. Not sure if this is reasonable or not but I did get the job. I price my time at $40 per hour. Roughly 6 hours is what I figure it to take as I work solo.

All beds look beautiful accept fot the grass growing over the brick edge. In some spots the brick is not even visible; I can peel the grass back to reveal the brick though. What is the best way to take care of this without damaging the brick. Some might laugh, but I am planning on using a large knife and cutting along the brick using it as a guide. Time consuming; I think. Down and dirty; for sure. Any ideas as time is money.

Thank you

Patriot Services
05-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Walk behind edger.
Posted via Mobile Device

Badgerland
05-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Walk behind edger.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is one machine I have never used. I assume it has some sort of spinning metal blade? How do I assure not to damage the brick without exposing the outside edge first?

I apologize if this is a dumb question.

johnsonslawnmanagement
05-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Turn you string trimmer on edge and edge with it. You'll have more control and your trimmer string shouldn't damage the brick. That or run your stick edger down the brick.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
05-14-2011, 09:15 PM
If your worried about the brick use the string trimmer turned sideways. Personally I would put a nice clean groove in front of the brick with my stick edger. If you angle towards the brick and go slow you won't damge them. I do it all the time with edging stones and concrete landscape curbing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Badgerland
05-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Turn you string trimmer on edge and edge with it. You'll have more control and your trimmer string shouldn't damage the brick. That or run your stick edger down the brick.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is exactly what I was thinking. I think I bid for a good profit. I can do 3/4 with my trimmer. I don't have a stick edger (yet) so I am planning on using a knife, call me crazy.

Thanks for the info guys. It feels good to return to my roots!

FrisellaLandscapeMgr
05-14-2011, 11:38 PM
I am a landscape maintenance manager for a well known company and I charge 1 dollar per linear foot.

FrisellaLandscapeMgr
05-14-2011, 11:42 PM
You could spade edge the brick and remove the excess grass from the brick . Weedeaters sometimes throw alot of clippings in your beds and is hard to remove.