PDA

View Full Version : 08 f350 6.4 powerjoke

supercuts
05-15-2011, 09:48 PM
so i havent had a rant about my POS in a while. turning 49K miles, 3.5 years old and I was changing my oil tonight. looking past the fact that there was about 5 extra quarts of fuel in the oil, while im draining it i notice all the huge rust flakes on my oil pan. WTF ford? really?? my 00' f350' oil pan is on its way out and they want $3k for that. NO MORE FORDS. do GM have the oil pan problems?? I know they still have exhaust manifold issues like ford, but hopefully thats it. I have 1.5 years left on the 5yr/100k warranty then she is gone.

after putting $5k down and $643/month for 3.5 years (2.5 left) I only have $2k in equity in it.

my 00 F550 is on its 3rd fuel tank due to delaminating, last time my 08 was in for service they didnt fix a single problem of my 8 complaints/issues including changing fuel filters WTF!!!!......NO MORE FORDS

OhioMowerGuy
05-16-2011, 01:58 PM
My 04 duramax has been good. Motor and transmission has never been touched other than maintenance. 122k miles/6k hours. Ive had alot of front end work but ive had a 8.5ft blade on the front since it was new

Cummins343
05-16-2011, 05:04 PM
get a dodge, problem solved! :)

Turf Commando
05-17-2011, 01:01 AM
I can figure out how one swears the 6.4 is the best and others swear at it..?
The only diesel I don't want is the 6.0 navistar really screwed that engine ..

supercuts
05-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I think the majority of my problem have to do with the regen. my understanding from dealers is that the 6.4 WAS a great engine but it wasnt living up to emissions as it was supposed to. to make it meet standards they reprogrammed it and screwed it up. My truck is fast as hell, but gets poor mileage. my buddy chipped/dpf deleted his and it is fast, runs great and gets much better mileage. I would but with all the problems i've had I'm affraid to do it and void the warranty. I have had injectors, radiator, mulitple pulleys, brake failures, heavy smoke issues, poor mileage, now rust? but come on, ive got a 78' with an origanal oil pan but new ones cant last 3.5 years?? manufactures got "smart" and realized if they make cars to last just up unitl the warranty runs out they will make alot on parts/repairs or new car sales. great for them....

gtmustang00
05-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Get your truck oil'd and take care of the truck and it won't rust.

supercuts
05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
are you suggesting I coat my engine, rear diff cover, inside of the bed wheel wells, gas tank in oil?? really?? I've read my owners manual, must have missed the oil your truck section.

gtmustang00
05-17-2011, 07:13 PM
are you suggesting I coat my engine, rear diff cover, inside of the bed wheel wells, gas tank in oil?? really?? I've read my owners manual, must have missed the oil your truck section.

Its not in the owners manual, its the salt that causes rust. Coat the frame, oil pan, wheel wells, doors, tailgate, undercarriage, suspension components etc. People use a mix of oil and clearcoat. Keeping salt off the truck is the most important thing.

Patriot Services
05-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Back in the day all rust belt vehicles had their undersides "ziebarted". An oily, waxy concoction that really didn't seem to slow down rusting and made working on them a nightmare.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnTamer
05-17-2011, 07:45 PM
I bet you could use Fluid film on those surfaces, eliminate some major rusting.

5speedpsd
05-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Get a dodge, that will be my next truck. The two dumps I've had were both fords and I wish I never got rid of the 97 couldnt kill the truck, and I really put it to work. But my 04 6.0 is nothing but issues. Last year I put $11,000 into it in what I consider non routine maitnance. Was actually at the dealership last night working out a deal on a new 3500 dodge. I've always had dodges for personal trucks, but everyone I know that uses them for work trucks says they are much better now, and there alot cheaper then ford it seems.

supercuts
05-17-2011, 08:27 PM
when i bougth my 08 i was so close to buying an 07' leftover ram 3500 SRW road thunder package with last of the good 5.9L cummins without the emission crap. should coulda woulda.....live and learn. my loyalty to Ford was my worst enemy

OhioMowerGuy
05-17-2011, 08:48 PM
You could trade it in on a 6.7 Ford diesel, im starting to see alot of them around town

supercuts
05-17-2011, 09:14 PM
You could trade it in on a 6.7 Ford diesel, im starting to see alot of them around town

again, the point of this thread was NO MORE FORDS. Ive already paid about $32K for this truck, i still owe $19K, they only want to give me $21-$22K for it. that is nuts. that would be like renting a truck for $10K a year. no thanks, in two years it will still be worth mid to lower $20K's and I'll trade it in then ONCE the warranty is up and I have some equity. back in August they were offering me $28K

Patriot Services
05-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Ford screwed the pooch when the 7.3 went away. They got too complex with the 6 series and rushed them into production.
Posted via Mobile Device

OhioMowerGuy
05-17-2011, 10:00 PM
yeah I was just saying they seem to be doing well. Im still undecided on what ill replace my duramax with in a couple years, gonna give the 6.7s and the new duramaxs a couple years and see how they are

5speedpsd
05-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Yea wasn't even looking but found a deal the other day on the dodge, going tomorrow to see if it will all work out. Like I said I already had 11,000 into my truck last year time to eat my losses and step into something new. And to think its going to cost me less for a brand new dodge then it would for a used ford.

supercuts
05-18-2011, 09:28 AM
I personally think im done with diesels after this one. I have 4 now and im getting tired of them. Luckily, 3 are 7.3's and ill most likely keep them over my 08'. i think my next is a GM 6.0L gas job. not worth the $8500 diesel option anymore with all the issues and fuel prices. it really wasnt worth it when i got my 08' but i refuse to get a ford gas engine and was still loyal to my fords

stik208
05-18-2011, 03:16 PM
I think my next is a GM 6.0L gas job. not worth the $8500 diesel option anymore with all the issues and fuel prices.

Good thinkin' Linkin.

Mark Oomkes
05-18-2011, 03:30 PM
I can figure out how one swears the 6.4 is the best and others swear at it..?
The only diesel I don't want is the 6.0 navistar really screwed that engine ..

The only good think I have heard about the 6.4 is it has lots of power. Nothing else.

SimonCX
05-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I though I wouldn't get another diesel but after using our chevy 6.0 gas truck for a couple months now I don't think I'll buy another. The gas get 7-8 mpg and my diesels get 12-13 pulling and doing the same job. I was hoping to get 9-10 but pulling the trailer I'm averaging just about 8 or less.

Turf Commando
05-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Ford screwed the pooch when the 7.3 went away. They got too complex with the 6 series and rushed them into production.
Posted via Mobile Device

So true. When they couldn't meet the EPA regulations the Powerstroke died .. There's hope around the corner the 6.7 isn't the 7.3 but it rolls with punches..