PDA

View Full Version : Metal Edging

PSUhardscaper
05-16-2011, 08:48 AM
I am putting together an estimate to install 4" x 12' pieces of metal edging for a customer. 350 linear feet total. Just wondering what you guys estimate the time for one piece to be installed in hard clay so I can come up with a install time per linear foot. Is a bed edged the best way to trench? Any other help is appreciated, I haven't installed edging before, but I am very comfortable with an edger.

Thanks!!

Dr.NewEarth
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
I don't know how wide the edging is. Will a single pass or a double pass
of the edger be necessary?

At any rate, I blow out the grooves with the backpack blower.

I've only done the plastic stuff and my quote was for the whole job.

12 foot piece, I am guessing would take fifteen minutes to trench and install.
So, 2 minutes per foot? (you like my math?) Almost ten hours.

You'll probably need a new blade on your edger, possibly a rubber mallet and
some-thing like a pry bar to keep the groove clean.

When I installed the plastic stuff, I trenched with a shovel.
I haven't done that in years as I try to persuade clients to use
some-thing else. The metal edging sounds interesting.

headz77
05-26-2011, 01:01 AM
We have installed a lot of steel edging around lawns and to border walks. I wouldn't think more than 15 minutes per piece.

DocClark
05-26-2011, 10:51 AM
They don't take very long...I do go back after I get them laid and pull up the connecting edges and weld them together...just my OCD kicking in I think! The welding takes awhile moving the welder but man it looks clean!

Think Green
05-29-2011, 07:32 AM
PSU,
If you are installing the Col-Met brand of steel edging.........colored sections.....for heavens sakes don't weld them.....you will ruin the color of the powder coated pieces prematurely.
As far as installing them, it should only take 10-15 minutes each piece as long as you have a channel cut prior to putting it down. We mark the perimeter out first with marking paint, then edge the mark, then clean out the areas where the soil falls back in and lay each peace in the groove. I do not cut the groove to deep as the pieces will need to be back filled. I go down 2"......then after each piece is installed and the joining piece is connected, take a piece of 2X4 and a plastic-hard mallet and tap the edges and centers down to your depth. Stake the joining spikes into place keeping the joint tight. YOU KNOW THE JOINTS WILL DISLODGE IF YOU ARE NOT LEVEL THROUGHOUT YOUR COURSE.
On these pieces that are only 4 inches deep, I will dig down 2" then hammer tap the piece to 3" and leave a 1" border at the top.
I really don't like Col-Met as they aren't tall enough for good installation and keeping out aggressive grasses like Bermuda and Zoysia or St. Augustine.

lukemelo216
05-29-2011, 09:27 PM
I was working on a large scale commercial installation for a large international company last summer. We installed a few boxes of this stuff and it took a while to install it. Trenching wasnt that hard since we used the bed edger.

We would throw two stakes in the ground and string it, then paint the line. Did this so we always made sure it was straight. Before we trenced we would just spot measure places. Then put it in and make sure the edge is perfectly lined up with that string. Then bends took a little while too. 2 people can probably install a stick in 20-30 minutes or so i would say.

We also would check it with a level too to insure that it was actually level, etc. To steel edging right takes a while. ITs a time consuming process, and if its your first time, defenitally plan on it taking more like 30 minutes.