PDA

View Full Version : Pros advice needed! Asap

clintjw95
05-16-2011, 09:04 PM
I started a wall today using 4" Limestone blocks. I am only going three rows high so the wall will only be a foot tall when finished. Will I need to put drainage tile behind the wall before I backfill? With it only being a foot tall I wasn't sure. Also what should I use to backfill 53's, 8's, or just dirt? Thanks in advance.

DVS Hardscaper
05-16-2011, 09:12 PM
did you pull a permit?

clintjw95
05-16-2011, 09:45 PM
did you pull a permit?

good to go

Dr.NewEarth
05-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Is there an apparent water problem behind the wall?
Use pvc with the holes facing down and daylight the drain every 50 feet if you use drainage
behind the first course.

Wouldn't you backfill with 3/4 crush? I don't know what 53's and 8's are

Also, here we don't require a permit unless the wall is going to be more than
four feet tall.

I was watching a gardening show where the guy was putting in drainage, and he
put the pvc in upside down with the holes facing up. Hilarious, what an expert.

zedosix
05-16-2011, 09:53 PM
I started a wall today using 4" Limestone blocks. I am only going three rows high so the wall will only be a foot tall when finished. Will I need to put drainage tile behind the wall before I backfill? With it only being a foot tall I wasn't sure. Also what should I use to backfill 53's, 8's, or just dirt? Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest you put clean stone and non woven geotextile to separate the dirt and the stone. Or you could just back fill with the dirt. Hope the gaps aren't too big if you choose the latter method.:)

TomG
05-16-2011, 09:57 PM
With the wall being only a foot tall you shouldn't need drain tile/pipe, unless you have a big hill behind the wall. And use at least a foot of 3/4" clean stone behind the wall for back fill.

clintjw95
05-16-2011, 10:45 PM
I'd suggest you put clean stone and non woven geotextile to separate the dirt and the stone. Or you could just back fill with the dirt. Hope the gaps aren't too big if you choose the latter method.:)

With the wall being only a foot tall you shouldn't need drain tile/pipe, unless you have a big hill behind the wall. And use at least a foot of 3/4" clean stone behind the wall for back fill.

Thanks for the help.

There's no big hill behind the wall. Should I use landscape adhesive to keep the Limestone in place? Or will the weight of the Limestone block be enough? This is the first time I've used this kind of block (demintions 4"X8").

zedosix
05-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the help.

There's no big hill behind the wall. Should I use landscape adhesive to keep the Limestone in place? Or will the weight of the Limestone block be enough? This is the first time I've used this kind of block (demintions 4"X8").

If you are talking natural stone which I'm sure you are, then no adhesive. This is what you would call a dry stack wall, meaning no mortar to adhere the blocks together.

4Russl5
05-17-2011, 10:06 AM
How thick/deep is your wall stone running into the wall? When I build with natural stone, lengths go into the wall. For this height, since you cannot acquire much weight/strength with 3 courses at 4" thick, I would build it 12-16" thick. Drainage might help for a small wall, but they move the most-and soonest depending on the grade behind it.

DVS Hardscaper
05-17-2011, 10:21 AM
what color is the material?

4Russl5
05-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Probably 'Permit White'....

zedosix
05-17-2011, 05:11 PM
guess all his questions were answered, love nothing more than chatting to myself.

DVS Hardscaper
05-17-2011, 07:22 PM
guess all his questions were answered, love nothing more than chatting to myself.

This is why I:

1) Respond with "please do a search......"
2) I'll let others write paragragh and paragragh and paragragh in response
3) I'll ask questions that I already know the answer to. What this does is it tells me if the person who created the topic is still there and participating.

Years of message board experience. The new guys flame the h-e-double-toothpicks out of me, and they'll gang up on me.

But this Silver Member know's what he's doing :cool2:

DVS Hardscaper
05-17-2011, 11:35 PM

Zedo... Zedo....Zedo...Zedo......he specifically said "pros" in the title. :hammerhead:

That's why I didn't offer anything.

ARE YOU A PRO????? :canadaflag:

zedosix
05-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Zedo... Zedo....Zedo...Zedo......he specifically said "pros" in the title. :hammerhead:

That's why I didn't offer anything.

ARE YOU A PRO????? :canadaflag:

Pro? who me? Naw, just like to dabble in it now and again. :)

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Nothing but Hacks!

clintjw95
06-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Here's a couple pics after the install.

4Russl5
06-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Good job! For a low single stone coursed wall it is level and the joints are covered! I hope it worked out for you as you estimated and the client envisioned it. The bater looks consistent also. I don't like low walls because of all the leaning over you have to do.

clintjw95
06-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Good job! For a low single stone coursed wall it is level and the joints are covered! I hope it worked out for you as you estimated and the client envisioned it. The bater looks consistent also. I don't like low walls because of all the leaning over you have to do.

Ya, alot of leaning over and alot of cuts. All in all it turned out pretty good for being my first one. Client was very happy as well.

JoeyDipetro
06-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Looks good Clint. Glad to see you still here and posting pics regardless of what the resident d o u c h e bag says.

4Russl5
06-01-2011, 10:51 PM
resident or residents?

JoeyDipetro
06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
In this thread, only one that I would consider a d o u c h e. However, on this site in general, there is no shortage of d o u c h e bags.

4Russl5
06-01-2011, 11:28 PM
I am sure he will chime in soon as all he has in pocket are pennies which he hands out in two's, like he is some sort of OCD religious fanatic trying save us all from ourselves... Exhausting really.

mxridernorth
06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
I am sure he will chime in soon as all he has in pocket are pennies which he hands out in two's, like he is some sort of OCD religious fanatic trying save us all from ourselves... Exhausting really.

Now that's funny! :clapping: