PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of unwanted groundcover.

l&slawncare1990
05-17-2011, 12:06 AM
I have a client that called me and wants to get rid of some ground cover she planted about 5 or so years ago. It is not native to the area and she wants it gone. it is a pretty ground cover but she doesn't want it anymore. Over time the cover has spread tremendously so tearing it up is not a way to go about this but killing it. Does anyone have a suggestion to get rid of it chemicals or anything also. It is somewhat on a hill that leads into the towns stream ans she has not sewer water but well so worried about getting into water system. Any suggestions it's called "Lamiastrum Galcobdolon"(yellow archangel) any suggestions would be appreciated. If there are any environmentally safe ways to go about this that would be preferred but if chemically is the only way then that's fine.. Thanks

headz77
05-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Roundup and crossbow kills almost anything...

Dr.NewEarth
05-26-2011, 01:34 AM
This is a tough one, because of the proximity to water sources.

The round-up is inactive once it hits the soil, but it's spray droplets will drift and can damage other plants. It must be 70 f/ 18 c and dry for it to work properly.

The groundcover has rhizomes ie: spreading underground branches if you like.
Pulling it out will prove futile as you will never get every little piece.

How about this? Weed wack the stuff so that there is only an inch or two of stock sticking out of the ground. Rake up the mess and dispose of it in the garbage if you can because any little piece of stem could reroot.

Get a paint roller with a long handle and carefully roll roundup onto the short stocks still in the ground. The herbicide will travel through the stocks into the rhizomes and
control the problem. Note: control does not mean total kill.

Try to remove plants close to the water by hand.

You will have to continue doing this herbicide application over a period of time
as this groundcover is a pain to erradicate.

You could try the same thing with landscape grade vinegar, but it will burn other plants too. Vinegar is more of a partial control and will only burn the tops really. Some plants actually bolt back by the next week.

Speaking of burning....don't try a propane flamer unless it has an enclosed ceramic end
and you have a hose running near by. Fire in forest waste can smolder

There are some "horticultural soaps of fatty acid" type things that you can look into. I have had some success with them, but they only did part of the job. I wasn't impressed.

I don't think that the Fiesta Ecosense iron sprays that kill weeds will work well on this groundcover.

Give that lady a good scolding for planting that crap in the first place. Ha,
she's going to pay for it now.

l&slawncare1990
05-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info, a lot of it makes sense and I can try. Yea I told her you never should have planted the crap cause it spread over her entire lawn I am completely serious almost everywhere and continuing. the one issue is she does not want to pay. I quoted her $450 with all materials to get rid of her ground cover and she is being cheap so I will see.

jvanvliet
05-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Sahara or diesel... It'l be bare for a year.

Mark Oomkes
05-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Interesting. How is Roundup\pesticide going to contaminate groundwater?

Eventually, surface water works its way to the aquifer (groundwater) but it takes some time.

Sounds like someone needs more edumacation.

l&slawncare1990
05-26-2011, 03:15 PM
lol I am going by what my client wants she said she does not want chemicals only environmentally friendly. might not happen

Mark Oomkes
05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
lol I am going by what my client wants she said she does not want chemicals only environmentally friendly. might not happen

I understand. She's clueless thinking there is a direct line from surface water to ground water used for water supplies. Granted, it can happen, but it is by far the exception to the rule. Apparently she doesn't get that.

RigglePLC
05-26-2011, 05:29 PM
I have lots of Lamiam, yellow archangel. Square stems, relative of mint, and creeping charlie. Swell ground cover for sahdy areas.
I suspect that mowing it will get rid of it. Cut it down gradually; start about as high as you can, then go down to one-inch tall. Grass can be mowed short and will come back. Tall plants cannot withstand short mowing.
You could finish up with Quicksilver herbicide, as it is non-persistant and very low in toxicity. Dupont's Imprelis is also very low in toxicity ("Federal Reduced Risk" products.) Both are at least a hundred times safer than Weed B Gone.

l&slawncare1990
05-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks She was just very concerned but I dont know I will let her know i appreciate all the info and suggestions.

44DCNF
05-26-2011, 06:37 PM
A mixture of sodium tetraborate (borax) and water knocks out creeping charlie. You might try a little on the lamiastrum and see if it works on it as well. You can find the mix ratio and application info by searching here.....I've posted it in the past. I'd test it for you on mine but I am not home. If it works as well as with creeping charlie, it will make removal very easy. You can rake and pull it up in large mats because the vines get really tough as they die....vines all stay connected very well as the dead roots are sheared off during raking. May not be the option you want (if it does work) but it sounds like it might meet the customers wishes. It is safe for any grasses in the midst.

The reason it got out of control was not entirely the plants fault.....more like a lack of maintenance. Mine stays confined to their beds with one or two annual trimmings and pulling up any runners that may have spread to the lawn. takes about five minutes for a 200 sf bed.