PDA

View Full Version : Bed prep & mulching

godjwood
05-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi,

I am from RI. We tend to get higher rates for things in my area since the cost of living is pretty high.

I used to charge $110 a yard of brown mulch installed, this was like 5 years ago, not including bed prep.

I have grown a lot since then. We have done about 100+ yards of mulch so far this year. I have notice the past few years (with the economy crash) I have trouble getting even $90 a yard including all edging and weeding. seems like people dont want to pay for the bigger projects anymore.

I talked to my fellow landscaper and he charges $85/yard installed and $40/hr for bed prep ends up getting about 125/yd. although he said he has only done about 3 jobs this year.

Just wondering- what are you guys charging per yard of mulch, and do you include bed prep in that price or do you charge it separately? How long does it take you to spread a yard? I have been keeping track and we are averaging .5 yard/man/hour and this includes edging and weeding. Of course some are way higher with more prep lower with less prep but i guess it all averages out in the end? its easier to tell a customer we charge $X/yard instead of telling them its $X/yard plus weeding/edging.

Hoy landscaping
05-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah... The economy sucks and its hurting everyone. This year for customers that I do lawn servicing for i charge $63 per yard. Around here mulch at its lowest is 28 bucks so i end up getting $35 per yard, just to spread mulch. Edging and trimming are extra. I just do $60 per hour for trimming, which comes out to be a dollar per minute to make it easy on myself. Edging i usually add $5-$10 per yard to make that easy too.
For people who I do not to other work for I charge 70 per yard which leaves me with 42 just to spread mulch. Edging and trimming are extra.

For the pricing of all this it is easier for me to tell them what the mulching price is, then tell them that it will be around X. amount for everything else.

It should take about an hour to spread one yard. Straight mulching. We either come the day before and get all the bed prep done or do it before we start mulching. I find that its easier to get in the grove and do one thing instead of switching from edging to mulching to weeding to trimming...
I hope this helped ya

Hoy landscaping
05-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah... The economy sucks and its hurting everyone. This year for customers that I do lawn servicing for i charge $63 per yard. Around here mulch at its lowest is 28 bucks so i end up getting $35 per yard, just to spread mulch. Edging and trimming are extra. I just do $60 per hour for trimming, which comes out to be a dollar per minute to make it easy on myself. Edging i usually add $5-$10 per yard to make that easy too.
For people who I do not to other work for I charge 70 per yard which leaves me with 42 just to spread mulch. Edging and trimming are extra.

For the pricing of all this it is easier for me to tell them what the mulching price is, then tell them that it will be around X. amount for everything else.

It should take about an hour to spread one yard. Straight mulching. We either come the day before and get all the bed prep done or do it before we start mulching. I find that its easier to get in the grove and do one thing instead of switching from edging to mulching to weeding to trimming...
I hope this helped ya

jdutcher003
05-17-2011, 03:10 PM
I get $75 a yard for mulch and I buy it for $24 per yard. The one yard does include cleaning out the beds, but edging and trimming of bushes in extra. I do charge extra if there is a lot of weeds in the beds though. I have done more mulch this year than any other year as well

jwsland
05-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I charge $100 per yard. That includes the cost of the mulch ($18-21) edging the beds its being spread in. Bedshaper cuts the time waaay down, and spreading it. Trimming bushes and extensive bed cleanups will cost more.

Hoy- I think you are located near me. Did you mean to say $18 per yard instead of $28 for the mulch price?

I have been knocking alot of money off my mulch jobs because some people just dont want to pay that much anymore. Theres enough profit to play around with on the larger jobs that it wont hurt too much. I don't have a problem hustling or working later to make up for it. I'm not going to risk losing 20yard mulch job over a couple hundred bucks.

The rule I was told is one guy, one hour, one yard. If you ask me it all depends on how far your pushing it and how the beds are set-up, right?

I never come right out and reveal my price per yard to a customer. But if necessary it will be just one number to avoid confusion. Anything extra like trimming or extensive cleanup is just a flat rate. Mulch is sold by the yard thats why I price it by the yard. Just like roofers charge by the square.

Hoy landscaping
05-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Jws- yeah I'm in Montgomery county. The supplier i get my mulch from sells it at 28 per yard. I know its expensive but i don't have enough jobs to justify getting my own deliveries. yet.

Roachy
05-18-2011, 04:23 PM
When I do mulch I usually charge $70/yd including delivery and installation. I then add $1 per ft for bed edging which a lot of times means re-creating a new curvature from the way it use to look. I then add on about $35/hr for weeding and $45/hr for bush trimming. If it is a bigger job I will add a fee for debris removal. So your typical 3yd mulch job will be: $210(mulch), $80 (weed and trim), and $70 for edging. So that is about $360 total. I would say it usually takes about an hr/ yd to dump and spread. A typical job like this would take about 7-8 man hours including drive time to pick up. And after buying mulch and cost of gas Im probably making about $290 profit. Maybe making $35-$40/ hr. This is how I do it, not sure how people say this is much more profitable than cutting lawns since I avg more per hour for my lawn cuts. Maybe I am undercharging, not really sure.

hackitdown
05-19-2011, 07:19 AM
I do $85/yd. Edging and weeding is extra. More for thick perennial beds. Maybe less for jobs over 10 yards where we can just dump and rake to spread.

Badgerland
05-19-2011, 01:09 PM
I just left a homeowner that wanted to discuss a mulch job I submitted. 12 yards with bed prep and trimming some bushes and what not. I quoted $1100. Would you believe some other company quoted $600, figuring 18 yards of mulch. Talk about lowballer, and this is the largest company in the area. I now refer to them as "the walmart of landscape companies."

hackitdown
05-19-2011, 04:33 PM
I just left a homeowner that wanted to discuss a mulch job I submitted. 12 yards with bed prep and trimming some bushes and what not. I quoted $1100. Would you believe some other company quoted $600, figuring 18 yards of mulch. Talk about lowballer, and this is the largest company in the area. I now refer to them as "the walmart of landscape companies."

He may quote 18, but will he deliver 18?

KINGMADE
05-19-2011, 06:51 PM
110 installed no weed pulling, edging, or trimming. I am paying a little more for mulch than you guys but I dont put down brown. Usually black or red. The guy at 63? You are crazy bro. I am not shoveling a yard or dragging bags of mulch around for 35 bucks.

MDLawn
05-19-2011, 08:46 PM
110 installed no weed pulling, edging, or trimming. I am paying a little more for mulch than you guys but I dont put down brown. Usually black or red. The guy at 63? You are crazy bro. I am not shoveling a yard or dragging bags of mulch around for 35 bucks.

I don't really price per yard but I would agree with your price per yard.

But not everyone likes to make money doing work :dizzy::hammerhead:

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
05-19-2011, 08:53 PM
95 per yard delivered and spread edging is 1.25 per foot. We are in mass.
Posted via Mobile Device

olebrooklawn
05-20-2011, 05:32 PM
95 per yard delivered and spread edging is 1.25 per foot. We are in mass.
Posted via Mobile Device

What do y'all charge for weeding? I got a weed job coming up I'm thinking 65 an hour. Is that 2 high for solo.
Posted via Mobile Device

jwsland
05-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Jws- yeah I'm in Montgomery county. The supplier i get my mulch from sells it at 28 per yard. I know its expensive but i don't have enough jobs to justify getting my own deliveries. yet.

I thought you were in central bucks for some reason, Jamison area. I was going to ask why your not going to Warwick Green Grinders!?

What do y'all charge for weeding? I got a weed job coming up I'm thinking 65 an hour. Is that 2 high for solo.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think thats a little high for solo. $37.50 is a very reasonable start for most sole proprietors labor charge. You could have a minimum though to cover a long drive or very quick job.

cuttenup
05-23-2011, 11:00 PM
I price according to the custmor. Higher end homes where I know the people have no problem affording extra things I can get upwards to 85-100 per yard brought & spread. Middle class my avarage is around 65-75 a yard. For the single income family, single mom, elderly folks on a fixed income, friends, family or people that I know may not have very much money but really take pride in there home and try to keep it looking nice I try to take care of them and do it as cheap as possible but still make a little $$. I find that these type people are the one's that really appericate what you do for them the most. This may not be the best way to do business but it works well for me!

S&K PROPERTY MAINTENANCE
05-23-2011, 11:20 PM
I've been getting about $90 t0 $100 per yard here in New Hampshire. We pay about $30 to $36 per yard. I'll do the edging and clean too.

Guzzo856
05-24-2011, 08:21 AM
for large commercial i carge $52 per yard installed including edge, But for everything else i charge $70. I get mulch for 28 per yrd for my small places, but 18 per yard for my large places

MDLawn
05-24-2011, 12:45 PM
So for the guys/gals who charge edging/mulching by the yard are you strictly just edging and chucking mulch into already prepped beds?? One of my last jobs was an edge and mulch with minor clean up and if it was bid at a per yard rate then I would be at $182.50/yard. I've never understood this type of estimating. Mine has always been Man Hours (x hourly rate) + Materials (+markup) = Job cost. If I would have estimated this job at a "per yard" rate then I would have never hit my per hour needs. There are just too many variables for me to associate a price per yard unless it was strictly laying mulch into already prepped beds. I'm in no way saying this is a wrong way to do things I just could never make that work.