PDA

View Full Version : Lock auxiliary hydraulic rocker switch on Cat 304

millstream
05-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Tonight I am going to be running a brush cutter on the front of my Cat 304C-cr excavator. Does anyone know how, or if I can lock the rocker switch on to power the mower so I don't have to keep my finger on the switch?

Thanks-Scott

icex
05-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Tonight I am going to be running a brush cutter on the front of my Cat 304C-cr excavator. Does anyone know how, or if I can lock the rocker switch on to power the mower so I don't have to keep my finger on the switch?

Thanks-Scott

Zip tie it or hard wire it to a on/off switch.

bobcat_ron
05-17-2011, 10:01 PM
They should have a continuous flow switch somewhere, there is also a switch near the travel beeper switch that locks out the swing boom, you might want to fiddle with that.

ioilyouin
05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
one reason why I didn't buy Cat or Deere.

bobcat_ron
05-18-2011, 10:11 AM
one reason why I didn't buy Cat or Deere.

You just have to ask for a switch for continuous flow, one of the 320's my brother owns has a switch for the mower pump and flow. Ask and it shall be done.
Posted via Mobile Device

ccstrebe
05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
If it is anything like my Cat MTL, you push a button on the left joystick while pushing the rocker switch on the right joystick. Also, it wont activate in park.

millstream
05-18-2011, 10:35 AM
If it is anything like my Cat MTL, you push a button on the left joystick while pushing the rocker switch on the right joystick. Also, it wont activate in park.

I never thought to hit any of the buttons on the left stick while holding the rocker on the right stick. I tried all combinations of the buttons on the right stick though. Blew the horn about 15 times, messin' with the buttons--- impressed the neighbors. :rolleyes: After mowing road banks for 4 hours, holding the rocker switch wasn't that big a deal. If I was mowing on a flat though, I would like to be able to keep it locked on.

I bought the 48" Bushmaster. So far I am very satisfied. I only run my Cat at 1/2 throttle and could use a bit more hydraulic flow at that speed, though.

Scag48
05-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Run full throttle, there is no reason you shouldn't.

millstream
05-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I almost never run any of my equipment much over 1/2 throttle. Just don't see a need to... other than more hydraulic flow. I always just figured it was better on fuel and better on the motor not going all out. I have 11 pieces of equipment and have never done a thing to any of the motors-pumps.

icex
05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I almost never run any of my equipment much over 1/2 throttle. Just don't see a need to... other than more hydraulic flow. I always just figured it was better on fuel and better on the motor not going all out. I have 11 pieces of equipment and have never done a thing to any of the motors-pumps.

I never have either and I run them wide open.

Scag48
05-18-2011, 08:14 PM
You're probably doing more harm than good running a cutting head at half throttle. The excavator isn't pushing 100% flow unless it's wide open, I wouldn't want to be lugging the cutting head down. Give it all the power you can, it'll recover faster and won't strain itself to complete the task. As far as engines go, they're designed to run wide open. Fuel? On a 304? The amount burned, in a day, on half throttle vs. full tilt is probably less than a 20% difference. You're reducing your production by at least 50% running at half throttle to save 20% on fuel all the while giving your cutting head a real workout? Doesn't pencil out in my book, just my .02, though.