PDA

View Full Version : Which New Core Aerator???

Mark Hubert
05-17-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a new aerator for some small lawns and have been doing some research, but still unsure on to what I need/want. I do about 10-20 lawns around town and really only aerate, power rake and fertilize them. I got a couple kids around town doing the mowing on there own. My old core aerator doesn't even have a name or s/n on it, it looks like its from the 60s, but still worked. I've been checking into Billy Goat and Bluebird, and leaning toward the billy.

My requirements are: Needs to be very reliable and do a great job. Needs to be productive, with few breakdowns/maintenance issues.

Suggestions/comments?

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
05-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Mark,

I'm accused of being biased but I'd go for the Billy Goat. :) Seriously, for the quantity of lawns you've indicated you may be better off renting. By renting you've not tied up your capital, you have no storage and up-keep. You know your numbers better than I do and if it makes sense to you by all means buy one though. (.. think Billy Goat) I was just giving you a different perspective.

Mark Hubert
05-17-2011, 06:44 PM
The Force:

I should have explained a little more. Renting was definitely considered, however our town has roughly 2500 people in it and the nearest town with a landscape service is 25 miles away. So people are charged an outrageous costs for landscape services. I can pay for the aerator in one year and basically this is just a hobby on the weekends.

Why the billy?

nightshutter
05-18-2011, 03:07 PM
I like my ryan. I saw a husqvarna yesterday that look pretty nice. The outer plugs were self rotating making it easier to turn.

SchnabelLawnCare
05-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Www.jrcoinc.com

Jrco hooker aerators. I have one for sale if you want. If you want maintenance to be minimal, don't have an engine ( like the jrco)
Posted via Mobile Device

bmac1996acc
05-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Ryan 28 or Plugr 855

Turf Dawg
05-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Just wondering why you would want a "old school" back breaking type instead of one of the new easy to run ones like the Turfco, Lawn Solutions or Plugr style.

SchnabelLawnCare
05-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Cheaper entry price for only 20 lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
05-18-2011, 11:33 PM
We just picked up a new classen 28 split drum which has been very dependable and versatile for us. Classen owns little wonder now as well checkk them out.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnSolutionsCP
05-19-2011, 01:04 AM
YouTube. Search lawn solutions aerator.

You won't be dissapointed
Posted via Mobile Device

netready2
05-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Turfvent aerator? Also has anyone tried the liquid aerator products like aerify plus?

teye69
05-20-2011, 05:40 PM
looking for reviews or comments on the Ryan Lawnaire V.

Thanks in advance

Ducke
05-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Can't go wrong with a Ryan there bullet proof.
At my last employer we were still using Aerators that had a 1970 date plate on them.
Yes they need work now and then and yes we did rebuild them every winter.
but the kids were doing 18+ lawns a day with them 3 months every year and we all know how some of these summer students treat equipment.
We tried a lawn solutions aerator but it was junk, It was retired to the storage container after about 8 days of use none of the tech's wanted to use it. It would be a great machine for a football field or a baseball field but give it some hills or bumps and load and unload into a track day in and day out it just wouldn't cut it. Yes it was a back saver but it only did about 8 lawns a day way to slow for our business residential lawns.