PDA

View Full Version : Photos From Recent SRW Project

JimLewis
05-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Here are some photos from a recent SRW / Steps Job we did.

JimLewis
05-18-2011, 03:55 AM
A few more photos from this same project......................

JimLewis
05-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Then we got the job right next door. Same deal. Except this guy wanted 90˚ corners rather than rounded corners. So here are some photos from that project. We did these simultaneously.

JimLewis
05-18-2011, 04:01 AM
And a couple more photos from that project.......

JimLewis
05-18-2011, 04:08 AM
Sorry no posts here on Lawnsite in a while. Absolutely crazy busy this year. Booking jobs into mid July right now. All 3 install crews going pedal to the metal 10-12 hrs a day / 5 days a week trying to keep up. Hardscapes are especially popular this year. But business overall has been going nuts in almost every other department as well. I have had almost no time at all for anything except work for a long time. Hope you're all having a good season. :usflag:

DVS Hardscaper
05-18-2011, 06:23 AM
hmmmm......I do not see any drain tubing or piping coming through the botton of the walls.

Please explain how the pressure is alleviated.

And Yep! Love the house with the T1-11!

JimLewis
05-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Come on. All my guys are certified level 2 wall builders with Allan Block. You think we're going to leave out the drainage? There are holes in the curb with ABS pipe coming through. Those are for gutters to outlet into the street. We tied into those lines right before the curb and tested each drain line to make sure the water went to the street like planned. You can't really see the drains in the street in those photos. And to make matters worse, the city has re-paved the street a few times (just adding a half inch each time) and the holes are buried half way now. But they are still there and they still work.

This isn't a photo from that job. But the curb drains at those two houses look just like this;

http://unitedconcreteinc.com/website/agent_pictures/4691/completed_drain_hole_under_sidewalk2-small.jpg

Cam.at.Heritage
05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
That's Slick, around here we aren't allowed to discharge any water directly to the street. We are even being taxed now on the water that runs off your driveway and into the street.
Good looking walls

JimLewis
05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
That's Slick, around here we aren't allowed to discharge any water directly to the street. We are even being taxed now on the water that runs off your driveway and into the street.
Good looking walls

Right... That makes perfect sense. Because in nature water always stays where it lands, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MrPickle
05-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey these photos are great! Great job, and the brick work looks awesome! You should post this in the New Holland Extreme Dream contest... you could win $100 this month, or the grand prize is a $35k+ Skid Steer Loader!! http://www.lawnsite.com/extremedream2011

Cam.at.Heritage
05-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Right... That makes perfect sense. Because in nature water always stays where it lands, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yea explain that one.... they also don't consider our gravel yard at our shop permeable, so we are getting charged that too. All just one big scam!!

SVA_Concrete
05-18-2011, 05:11 PM
I feel ya on being busy, we are the same way here on the right coast :)

i have one complaint, the winder stair treads should never be less than 6" deep in the direction of travel. maybe you are installing a railing on the shallow side to guide the walking path. it is too easy for a kid to hold that wall (left side as im looking at the picture) and make a 14-16 inch step and boom.. food for thought

and i like the 90 degree corner better.

DVS Hardscaper
05-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Some of the joints are lined up, not good. Especially on that corner. The cap joints line up with the block. Drives me up the wall when my guys do that. I make them re-do it. If you have any caps left, you otta send a guy or two out this week and have them correct that for me.

I initially thought about a curb drain. In our area, yeah some old streets have curb drains - but they're not to be touched. They're grandfathered in. Many folks don't realize this.

OutdoorCreations
05-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Looks very nice! I love it when you move right next door for the next job!

Danscapes
05-18-2011, 09:26 PM
The wall with 90* corners looks much better. I hate trying to turn a tight corner with the Ashlar Blend pattern, no matter what there is always a sliver cut or weird looking angles. Overall looks good, not that you cared foe anyone's opinion..........especially DVS's. LOL!

DVS Hardscaper
05-18-2011, 09:52 PM
I have a prospective client who I'm working with to come up with a small patio that's raised via a retaining wall. The prospective client keeps saying he wants the corners with a tight radius (as Lewie has in his pic). I've been telling him "physically we can do tight corners but they're not going to look good, you need either square corners or a wide radius"

zedosix
05-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Man I don't like caps that sit inside the top edge, I always hated that about allanblock.

JimLewis
05-18-2011, 10:35 PM
See I really like the one with the curve / radius corners much better. And the client at that house really loved them much better than his neighbors 90˚ corners too. We had a lots of people walking by during construction and had a lot of nice compliments on the rounded corners. So I guess it's just in the eye of the beholder.

To me, I pretty much like curves in everything, over straight lines and sharp turns. When we install sod lawns, usually we try to implement some sort of curves on the corners and around the edges to make it look more appealing. Most of our paver patios we do that too. Just makes them look a lot more appealing than a square or rectangle shaped patio. Same thing with Synthetic turf. We just finished a really nice SynLawn job today and the curves we put on it made all the difference in the world. It took it from looking like a green carpet to looking like a real lawn. I always think curves look nicer than sharp angles. But again, I guess it's all a matter of taste.

Tight angles are especially difficult with the AB Ashlar though. Very hard to maintain a random looking pattern and still make that tight of a curve. Plus they always want to stick out a little farther than you want, which makes the curve look a little less perfect than I'd prefer. But I still like them over the 90˚ corners.

JimLewis
05-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Man I don't like caps that sit inside the top edge, I always hated that about allanblock.

I'm with you on that one. I hadn't used AB for a year or so before this two jobs. We've been doing a lot of Anchor walls. And I kinda forgot about that until we got into this job. I was thinking the exact same thing. To me, it looks so much nicer to have a little overhang like most other SRW manufacturers do it.

Danscapes
05-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Those caps are way different than the AB caps that we have available here. I like the beveled tops, but ours sit flush with the wall face. Like so.....

DVS Hardscaper
05-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Can't the cap be slid forward to overhang?

That what we do. Block is 12-inches wide. Cap is 12-inches wide. We scoot the cap forward and do maybe a 1.5-inch overhang. And it covers just enough of the back of the block to work flawlessly.

Cept I dont use allenblock. I really dislike it.

Also, most block manufacturers make a "universal cap". They buy the manufacturing rights for the block, and then produce their own cap.

JimLewis
05-19-2011, 09:33 PM
The AB caps we buy locally have a bevel cut in them so that's the farthest forward they can go.

I could go with another manuf. but the color wouldn't match the buff color of the AB SRWs. My clients definitely wouldn't have liked it. Anyway, it's not that annoying. It's just different than I am used to. It's just a preference thing. The clients loved it so that's all that really matters to me.

DVS Hardscaper
05-19-2011, 10:26 PM
People stress over color.

Waste of time and energy. Drives me up the wall.

Nope, not because I'm impatient (because I'm really not)

But I say this because in all reality the block fades and it will also get a nasty layer of dirt on it over the years. So all that going back and forth that they did about the colors will fade into the past!

Cam.at.Heritage
05-20-2011, 07:53 AM
I could go with another manuf. but the color wouldn't match the buff color of the AB SRWs.

The key with this is not to try and match the wall color, but choose a completely different color and use it as an accent.

No more Grey Paver...Grey Walls....Grey Houses.... brighten it up....the same way you use highlight banding in pavers.

White Gardens
05-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Ditto on the matching. I've run across a few clients who want everything to match and that just doesn't happen. Eventually I get them talked into an accent color.

DVS- I do agree that the block will weather and your right, it truly doesn't matter in the end after 10 years, but, it still needs to look good after install.

JimLewis
05-20-2011, 11:25 AM
The key with this is not to try and match the wall color, but choose a completely different color and use it as an accent.

No more Grey Paver...Grey Walls....Grey Houses.... brighten it up....the same way you use highlight banding in pavers.

Ok. But again, the clients didn't want that. They specifically wanted everything AB. They liked the look of the AB systems and the photos I showed them of those walls and that's exactly what they wanted. I'm not in the business of talking people out of what they want. I listen to what they want and make it happen to the best of my ability. Now, if what they want is going to look hella screwy or really messed up, I might suggest an alternative. But in this case, the AB caps don't look bad at all. I don't like them as much as caps that overhang. But that's just a personal preference thing. I don't like red colored pavers either. But I've done dozens of jobs using red pavers because that's really what my client wanted. I'm not going to scoff at them or force my preferences on them. It's not about that.

Also, you guys are forgetting that normal caps really wouldn't work that well with this block anyway. The AB blocks have a lip in front of them on top. So they aren't level on top. They are made to fit the AB caps only. Now I could go along and knock off each of those lips. But now we're getting a little ridiculous. This is exactly what the customer wanted and that's all that really matters.

http://www.allanblockblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/AB-Stone.jpg

You armchair quarterbacks are ridiculous sometimes in your second guessing how someone should have done something.

Cam.at.Heritage
05-20-2011, 11:41 AM
I didn't mean to second guess you, there are usually good reasons behind what people have done, I am jut simply putting alternatives to the way it could have been done and maybe a way that is more appealing to the next customer.

I completely understand building it they way the client wants, I have done tones of ugly jobs (And if someone says they haven't they are lying...or just don't know what ugly is)

These walls both look great...although still not a fan of AB

DVS Hardscaper
05-20-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't think anyone is in the business of talking people out of what they want.

Many of us are in the business of sharing our knowledge and wisdom.

:)

Posted via Mobile Device

zedosix
05-20-2011, 05:53 PM
I don't think anyone is in the business of talking people out of what they want.

Many of us are in the business of sharing our knowledge and wisdom.

:)

Posted via Mobile Device

And I'd like to get paid for it once in a while too! :)

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-20-2011, 07:18 PM
And I'd like to get paid for it once in a while too! :)

Goodluck with that! Let me know how that works out for you.:laugh:

BrandonV
05-20-2011, 09:52 PM
looks good jim

Lux Lawn
05-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Jim, as usual two more great looking jobs.

land_scaper70
05-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Two questions:

1) What is with the running bond, first series 4th picture, straight up through the cap, right in the center of the picture, is that set up for failure? Don't know, I was taught not to run without a bond that long?

2) On the first series of pictures, is the first course going to be buried, or is something else going in front, it looks like the bottom course is fully exposed?

Just my observation, however, I like the square corners better than the curved in that particular block.

land_scaper70
05-23-2011, 03:06 PM
I read this earlier this morning and just had time to ask the question, I did not know someone else pick up on it. Sorry.

JimLewis
05-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Two questions:

1) What is with the running bond, first series 4th picture, straight up through the cap, right in the center of the picture, is that set up for failure? Don't know, I was taught not to run without a bond that long?

2) On the first series of pictures, is the first course going to be buried, or is something else going in front, it looks like the bottom course is fully exposed?

Just my observation, however, I like the square corners better than the curved in that particular block.

Yah, well, it was extremely difficult to get a nice looking rounded curve. We tried all sorts of variations without that bond but it always stuck out too much. Had to make some exceptions. I'm pretty sure the wall is pretty dang sturdy nonetheless.

In front of that wall, the client was going to add 3-4" of gravel or something else himself. Wanted us to leave it that way. It will be buried once he's done.

White Gardens
05-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Yah, well, it was extremely difficult to get a nice looking rounded curve. We tried all sorts of variations without that bond but it always stuck out too much. Had to make some exceptions. I'm pretty sure the wall is pretty dang sturdy nonetheless.

That's the pit-fall of Allan Block and their hollow core design. It's not like you can cut the block effectively to stagger all the joints.

a&jlandscaping
05-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Very nice work